December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Jonathan

Glad to know there is real news out there to report.

December 3, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Liberal in Los Angeles, CA

Awww, we definitely miss the beard. LOL!!!!

December 3, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. Noel Teku

I think Richardson should've kept the beard. For some reason, I feel a strong negative urge when I see him without his beard.

December 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  4. Shelby

Can I have the last word. In the big scheme of things...

It doesnt matter.

December 3, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  5. Impeach Obama

What a load of crap. The Democrat Party has wrecked the economy and the new Sec. of State has a husband who is a rapist and the POTUS elect is a Marxist thug, and there they stand playing patty cake.

December 3, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  6. duncan osoro

put some really news cnn or you will loss your market. this kind of news is for fox 9 news, because they are local and dont have anything to do or show

December 3, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. Lloyd

Beard or no beard, Governor Richardson is perfect for the job. Go Barack!

December 3, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Kathleen

I vote for the beard. It looks great. He looks like Luciano Pavarotti with it.

December 3, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Julia

Bring back the beard, Gov. Richardson! It's a hot look.

December 3, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Dave, Santa Barbara

The beard was too short.

December 3, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  11. Kelly

beard is better!

December 3, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. Alissa

as a latina voter I'm glad he has a latino there and he should bring more but to answer the question i agree with this person that said:

SENATUS POPOLUSQUE ROMANUS December 3rd, 2008 12:34 pm ET

I believe Richardson ought to worry about the SEVERAL extra pounds he is accumulating rather than shaving his beard………….

December 3, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  13. Austin

Wow is this news? Is this more important than the terror attacks in Mumbai? This obviously is a complete waste of time. Who cares if he shaved his beard or not. What is this country coming to?

December 3, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  14. Kathleen

Like Riker, he's much better WITH the beard.

Swashbuckle-y.

Still, CNN, this is really more of a celeb story than actual News, but thanks for trying.

December 3, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. Pat Gray

Wolf & Lou – I'm getting tired of your negative comments and your provocative questions to the public that elicit negative responses....we are in a new time with new hope and if we have a collective vision, you two seem to be doing everything you can to put doubt and fear in the minds and hearts of hopeful Americans....lay off...get on the bandwagon of change and hope..we need it desperately.

December 3, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  16. Howard Roark

A transition team loaded with lobbyists, and a cabinet loaded with entrenched Washington politicians...yep, change you can believe in.

December 3, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  17. BrumleyGap

With all the Lincoln comparisons, perhaps Obama should grow the beard. As little Grace Bedell would say, he "would be much improved in appearance, provided [he] would cultivate whiskers."

December 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  18. Martin from Germany

A president-elect with a sense of humor! And a dry wit! A guy who can either think on his feet or is actually prepared when meeting the press. AND gives them a run for their money, either way. What a fresh, new wind is blowing across America!

December 3, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  19. Markster

Beard definetly! He looked like a nice jolly guy with the beard. Now he looks a bit less jolly.

December 3, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Cheese and Whine

Well, the beard showed where one chin ended and the next one began.

December 3, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. Which way does he look more like Brutus?

Richardson is the Brutus of the 21st century and Bill and Hillary won't forget it. Look for that tandem to bury Richardson sometime over the next four years.

December 3, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  22. BS VA

The beard gave his face a purpose and a direction. Now, he looks like a sad man.

December 3, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  23. Dion from Montgomery

Do not judge a book by the cover. I think he looks good with or without it. I just hope he does not rebel too much and add more weight (Not that anything is wrong with it), I just think he will live longer with shedding the weights off, instead of putting it on!

December 3, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. AKI

SO FUNNY. I LIKE WITH BEARD.

December 3, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  25. JackieO

noopc December 3rd, 2008 4:36 pm ET

He looks more like Judas with the beard on.
    ------------------------

So I guess you have pictures to prove this? LOL. You are an idiot!

December 3, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |