December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Cori from Colorado

From the pictures, better with it on his face, makes him look younger. But seriously, why is this news?

December 3, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  2. GloomBoomDotCom

Richardson looked so good with the beard but come on Obama, deeply disappointed? Only a liberal could say that with a straight face!

December 3, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Tim

noopc@

You're wrong – nothing like Judas – he was a Klingon Warrior with the beard!

December 3, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. Opal88

I think Richardson was very handsome with his beard. I hope it returns!!

December 3, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  5. Rita

He can always grow it back. That would be another sign of change to come! Love those beards!

December 3, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  6. Nancy

Grow it back Dude. Love the rugged look on you.

December 3, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  7. Phil from Phoenix

Im gonna say what every one else is thinking. That beard should have stayed on to hide that thing hanging from his chin!
    Grow it back Bill, thats worse than Jay Leno

December 3, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. yellowbmblbee

I love Obama's dry humor. Nice to see the funny side of him...I definitely agree...he needs to grow the beard back.

December 3, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  9. Will

News lacks the ability to understand a joke?

December 3, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  10. Nancy

For his neck's sake, grow that beard back – younger, older, whatever – just grow it back!

December 3, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  11. OAC

Enough respect with the beard!

December 3, 2008 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  12. OAC

Good to keep, Richardson!

December 3, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  13. Judy B. Rosener Ph,D.; Ro

I'm glad he shaved...he looked terrible with the beard. Are we giubg back to the 60's where mess is cool?

Not sure why Obama said what he did....should have not said anything.

Long time Democrat.

December 3, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  14. Fluffy Shoes

I'm with ya, Bill. Only one's mother should have a say in style choices. You're charming either way. I prefer the beard.

December 3, 2008 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  15. Paul Lennon

I think he's trying to look like he's lost weight.
    But he hasn't.

December 3, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  16. Jmatthews

I had to smile that this could be a subject of comments – but I'll just add that he looks a little more formidable now, as though he just stepped right out of "The Sopranos". Frankly, he was far more handsome when he had it, and his face looked more balanced with the beard – hope he brings it back!

(Could it be he thinks he'll be taken more seriously with it gone?)

December 3, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  17. Sarah TX

Lighten up Judy Mrs.PhD. It's a JOKE-you know, those things ppl say when they're not being serious.

December 3, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  18. PJP

Yea ME! Must be a very slow day in the news that CNN had to report on something that Obama said that had nothing to do with being president! This is probably what we have to look forward to in the next few years.

December 3, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  19. tony

of all the (my opinion) two faced people president elect obama selected.bill richardson is at the top of my list.... back stabbing his friends after sitting with them on superbowl sunday. then saying he is only interested in staying governor and has no plans with the president elects cabinet positions...liar liar(in my opinion). at least the president can watch the snake(in my opinion) more closely...one thing bill richardson cares about is his political future-no matter what-Hillery Clinton.....WATCH YOUR BACK....

December 3, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  20. Peggy

Judy:

Hmmm, adding Ph.D. to your avatar. A litle insecure? Life is about appearances? I hope your Ph.D. is not in psychology.

I like the beard, but it's the man's choice.

Peggy

December 3, 2008 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  21. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I am soooo glad Richardson shaved the dang thing off.

He looked exactly like a terrorist.

And yes, those things are miserable for women who want to "get up close and personal."

December 3, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Pepou

I was also disappointed when Palin shaved her mustache ....

December 3, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  23. gflan

Usually I don't care one way or the other about a beard (my husband has one) usually it comes in grayer and makes a man look older than he really is, but on Bill Richardson, I thought he looked GREAT! A little like a sexy Luciano Pavarotti

December 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  24. desk jockey

I'm laughing as only a political junkie can...this is the fun stuff!

It seems I'm not the only smart woman out here who thought the bearded Richardson was pretty hot stuff! ;)

No, it's not hard news, but who cares? Isn't it time we all had a laugh?

December 3, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  25. Howard Roark

A transition team loaded with lobbyists, and a cabinet loaded with entrenched Washington politicians…yep, change you can believe in.

December 3, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |