December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Kimberly

Wow! He looked much younger with the beard. Grow it back... pleeeease!

December 3, 2008 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  2. Mirror

All they want is to mirror the image of their "god," or the new boss. But, only the Creator knows his heart, and ambition, in the long run. It is imperfect and sinful human nature. God sees the whole picture, while we limited human beings see only the snapshots.

December 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Theresa

Glad to see a talented Hispanic in the Cabinet.

December 3, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. Flex

Obama, I'm deeply disappointed that you won't grow an asymmetrical mohawk!

December 3, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. steve

who really cares?

December 3, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Mia and Mike

I liked the beard too. It made him look much younger and more manly

December 3, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  7. Pedro

He should have kept the beard. And he should play weekly basketball games with Obama, Biden, Gates, Jim Jones, Rahm Emmanuel, Podesta in the White House to loose some pounds.
    He put on a lot of weight and that's not healthy

December 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. Voted for Obama/Biden in NV

I always liked Bill Richardson – I agree with Obama, to bad he shaved his beard it gave him charecter – but I am so glad he will be part of the team

December 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Proud American

The man is butt ugly with or without a beard!

Perhaps losing some weight will help him a bit!

December 3, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. ET from Omaha

I tink with the beard he looks better.

December 3, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  11. Karen -San Antonio

He looks much better and younger with the beard. It hides his chubby chin area. But it really doesn't matter what anyone thinks, it is all about how he feels about it himself...and he seems pretty happy. So that's always a good thing! Barack will be alright with it and so will I.

December 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  12. Liberal and Proud of It

Richardson was my first choice for president, then Edwards, Biden, Obama, and Clinton in that order. I'm beginning tot hink I was wrong to under-rate Obama because his performance since the nomination has been pretty much flawless.

My opinion of Richardson is still as high as ever. He will perform ably in Obama's cabinet. I hope he will move up to State when Hillary moves on after Obama's first term. He might still be my first choice for president in 2016.

December 3, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  13. saidy ceesay

Richardson look better without beard. I like his personality face look during the campaing 2008. I have no daught that he will be a great team player to the Obama cabinet. He will be a good secretary. of commerce for our nation.

Saidy Ceesay
    Seattle Wa.

December 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  14. Diablo

On second thought...

December 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  15. Greg from ATL

Now he looks like Jim Belushi.

December 3, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  16. Rick

He looks better with the smile then without the smile. The beard worked for him too.

December 3, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  17. BL

Beard looked great – Richardson is a good guy, either way.

December 3, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  18. 60 year old white female and proud supporter of PE Obama

Richardson will be an excellent Secretary of Commerce which could prove to be as important as Secretary of State in this global economy. He brings all sorts of talents to the job and obviously PE Obama sees this role as a very key one both nationally and internationally.

Pundits, naysayers and speculators can say what they will but it is all speculation until January 20th and after.

December 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  19. Staff

Beard looks better. It better disguises the double chin and chubby chops!

December 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  20. kishen c.rao

it really does not matter whether he grows beard or not...what matters is his ethics and job performance in the government....he does not need to be a hindu-saint or muni....

December 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  21. Decided Independent

I miss the beard too. It looked good, and it was a refreshing display of bravery and defiance, and of individuality above the overly polished cookie-cutter politician look.

I say, on behalf of all bearded men (and bearded women too, I suppose), that we need more positive bearded role models like Bill Richardson.

December 3, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  22. Susan L.

Another vote for the beard! Please grow it back, Governor! It looked cool and a bit rakish. Not that many men in Washington try to get away with that look. It's high time someone did!

December 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  23. Candid

I agreen with Mr. Obama, Bill Richardson looks much better with the beard. Fortunately he can get it back easily, it just takes some time.

December 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  24. Tito

Great to see an eminent hispanic in this most diversified mix of the Obama's team of potential transformers...way to go!

December 3, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |