December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Ernie

He is ugly either way. He needs to lose 100 pounds instead of the beard.

December 3, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. David Snyder

With the beard: distinguished.

Without the beard: conniving.

December 3, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Virginia

And this is news??? Who cares–he is just another Dem who will be up there running things in the "good ol' boys' club" they call change......

December 3, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  4. JT

He should have kept the beard.

December 3, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. Sophie

I would suggest that in lieu of ad naseum discussion of his beard, we ask him to look at some sort of insurance (medicare/medicaide) starting at age 60 so millions of american who have the ability to retire early will do so and open up millions of well paid jobs?

December 3, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. jeff in MA

I agree, the beard brought a pizazz. Its a good thing he's not secretary of facial hair...zing

December 3, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  7. Tom in Delaware

I know just how you feel Barack....I'm deeply disappointed too.

December 3, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  8. Max

Seriously?

Four years of non-news that will be eagerly embraced by so-called "information" sources, coming up.

December 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Dylan

As a man who also sports a beard, I was very disappointed when i turned on the press conference to see Richardson beardless. I'm crossing my fingers though that he'll grow it back. Bearded men across this country also need representation!

December 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. Jaye

I personally love the beard!!!

December 3, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. GODDY

Beard mucho good!

December 3, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Almost the end of THE error!

He looks much better with the beard. Its so funny that this is mentioned because I thought the exact same thing. He looks like he has gained some weight, and it may be because the beard was covering up the double/triple chin. But now its out there for all to see.

December 3, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  13. Daniel P

I think Sarah Palin should grow a beard and then ask Obama to appoint her to his cabinet in disguise in order to test how thorough his vetting process really is.....

December 3, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. billy

I think he looks better with the beard, he seems more approachable and for some reason I wanna sit down and have some soup with the guy or go fishing, weird I know. But maybe that is the kind of image and approach we need for other countries to take a interest in doing business with us again.

December 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  15. Ken

Beard or no beard, he is still the one who betrayed the Clintons. Fortunately, he did not get the top cabinet post and can envy Hilary while he does nothing consequential for President Obama.

December 3, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  16. Gerald C, Madison, WI

Definitely should have kept the beard.

December 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. karen raleigh

Great appointment and hes right -its his face-to have or not to have hair is entirely up to him.

December 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Jackie

It looks like he has a goiter on his neck. How's his health?

December 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. dennis_k

Are we really going to have a president that has both intelligence and a sense of humor? After 8 years of The Bush, my head is reeling!

Obama/Biden '12

December 3, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  20. Dave T.

Please, bring back the beard!

December 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. AD

My vote is pro-beard. :D

Let's see if he grows it back.

December 3, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. Marc in Virginia

I'm deeply disappointed with Obama for chosing this joker as his Commerce secretary. He's an ugly human being inside and out.

December 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  23. Mboka

I love and respect the Rich. One of the strongest statesmen we have in the U.S. I would have been much happier if he was chosen for the Secretary of state position. But I understand why Hillary got it. I am sure he understands too.

December 3, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  24. Rob Johnson

One of the things I've always liked about Obama is that he has a sense of humor and doesn't take himself too seriously.

Richardson is a good guy and will make a great Commerce Secretary.

December 3, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  25. American View

Who really cares. How about some news!

December 3, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |