December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Nebs

Bill,
    Grow that beard now or i will stop supporting the Hispanic community...
    Just kidding... i like the beard...

December 3, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  2. No Hillary = No Obama

Obama should grow one. This statement is open to interpretation.

December 3, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Walt, Belton,TX

Hopefully, that wasn't the only reason Obama offered a cabinet post to Richardson........................

December 3, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  4. ELAINE N. RAMEY

AS HEAD OF ELECTRONICS UNDER CLINTON, BILL RICHARDSON TREATED DISABLED WORKERS POORLY. My disabled son who worked in an unconditioned post office in 116 degree temperature under Bill Richardson said Richardson knew how to make employees miserable AND DID IT.

December 3, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. Ed C.

I think he needed the beard, he needs all he can get to cover that up.

December 3, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  6. S Callahan

lol....who cares if he has a beard...I'm more concerned about what he can do in his new role to keep jobs, help create new jobs, and how we are going to be self sufficent for energy..including our vehicles.....

Of course, if the beard makes him smarter and or stronger...then heck, grow it back! :-)

December 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  7. George

Bill, grow the beard back. It adds character and singles you out from the rest of the clones.

December 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. An American

God, who really cares????

December 3, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  9. Vadiva30

Bring the beard back. It helps hide the weight gain. Grow it back and try to lose the weight.

December 3, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. Mr, Kitty

Great choice. Big Bill inherited a budget surplus and after 6 years of being gov. he is now leaving us in NM with a projected $300-500 million deficit. Good time to leave town Bill, this time do us a favor and stay gone. I', sure as a member of Obama's economic team, your experiance will help turn this economy around.

December 3, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. Sammy

Well since this is big news, and since the comments are still open, why not say something...

Ummm, does Bill Richardson look better with or without the beard... ummm... u really wanna know what i think don't u...

do u really care???

December 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Steph

Dear "True American",

I sure hope you don't call yourself a "True Christian" as well. Try asking yourself that old question, WWJD?

By the way, I liked the beard!

December 3, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. AJ

Who cares about the beard!! Obama should be more concerned about integrity, honesty and loyalty, none of which are adjectives that could be used when describing Richardson.

December 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. CMJ

As one who suffers from the same weird neck thing – I envy the fact that Richardson is a man and can grow a beard to cover it up. As a woman, I on the other hand have to live without a neck in full view. Its not attractive. But oh well, great personality right?

Bad neck genes I guess!

December 3, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. Josie

I read the reviews and have 1 question, why people are so evil and say mean things what about the person you are demeaning. You can speak life and death with words.

December 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. Dee-Norfolk, VA (NorVA)

I agree with the Vegas Barbie...

The beard was hot...bring it back!!

December 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  17. GH

Too bad........I liked the beard also.

Before the beard, he had a 'van Dyke' (mustache and goatee) that didn't work as well for me as the beard but either is superior to the clean shaven look. Grow it back, Bill....take the advice of your soon-to-be boss and grow it back.

I'm glad BR is on board in the cabinet. I would've preferred him in Hillary's slot as SOS but he's too good a resource to leave out. of the new admin.

December 3, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. NikkiNew

He looked happier with the beard.

December 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. Truth Hurts

What a slap in the Face!!!!

Obama doesnt give Richardson the job he is qualified for, he gives it to Hillary who isnt qualifed.

Truth Hurts

December 3, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Consuela

Bill, please bring the beard back! Please!!

December 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  21. Austin

Grow it back quick.
    Does your face hurt, cause it's killing me !

December 3, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. desk jockey

Doesn't look like a goiter – just one of the chins the beard's been hiding. Yes, the beard must come back! ;)

December 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. wait a minute

I am much disappointed that Richardson isn't our SOS with or without beard.

December 3, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. G.Q. Romero

He's more popular outside New Mexico. LMAO at all these favorable comments!What a (double)chin!

December 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. Boyd

Bring back the beard! It's just the right touch for him.

December 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |