December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. liz

Oh No what a tragedy.......Oh c'mon CNN!!

December 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  2. Alan

He looks fatter now too, he had a good thing going with the beard thing

December 3, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  3. matt

why is this even news?

December 3, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Elaine

He looks better with a beard.

December 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  5. Michelle

Um, I really don't understand how this is news. I don't care how my commerce secretary wears his facial hair as long as he is making good decisions for America.

December 3, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  6. cornchips

that's the same guy?

December 3, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Ken

Gosh, what a relevant topic! I'm so glad the Obamessiah is taking time out of his busy schedule to address the REAL concerns of Americans.

What a joke.

01/20/2013: Obama's Last Day

December 3, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. gab

Keep it!

December 3, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. Marie in California

Richardson looked bad enough with the beard. Without it, he looks like a grown-up version of the Gerber baby.....only not cute at all. Uggghh!

And he's still a Judas.

December 3, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  10. Doctor J

Jackie – no goiter, he's just fat. The beard hides it a bit. If you see photos of him in an open neck shirt he simply has a couple of chins.

December 3, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. Mike, Syracuse NY

What was the stock market impact?

December 3, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  12. MLD

"deeply disappointed". I guess that puts Obama's feelings about a stupid beard (hiding a huge double chin) on the same level as Russia's invasion of Georgia in Obama's mind (less).

December 3, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  13. Christie Avalon

Gov Richardson was the most knowledgeable of all the democrats who ran for president, but he did not campaign effectively. He rolled over very easily when the going got rough and even though he had nasty things to say about Obama and Hillary, he will now change his stripes just like he did his appearance. He cannot be trusted, but still he fits in very will with the new administration.

December 3, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  14. CHANGE IS COMING - FINALLY!!!

hmmm, battle of the beard!
    !

December 3, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  15. C Spurgeon

I didn;t care for his beard at all and now he looks younger, I think he will do a great job as Commerce sec though and wish him well,

December 3, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Bill

I don't mind Bill Richardson as a person or politician, but I haven't seen anything in his biography that would seem to qualify him for this post.

December 3, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Muz

His neck looks weird, bring back the beard

December 3, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  18. Doug

The real tragedy is that Bill Richardson looks like John Belushi if he had survived rehab. Wow! Our next commerce secretary having a food fight at the White House!

December 3, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  19. VeroNM

I agree, he looks better with the beard. Now hopefully people will realize that New Mexico is part of the United States :) we're all proud of him back home!!!

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. "Barry" Moore

Obama, you have pulled in most of the democrats who ran against you during the primaries. Where will you put Kucinich? and Dodd?
    All these egomaniacs fighting against one another, all believing themselves to be superior to the others, etc. You're in for a rough ride, and you think you can control all them with your "Coolness"? You will probably throw them all under the bus before long, just like you did your 20-year pastor and your grandmother (and Michelle, too, it seems). ???

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. albania

This beard should cleaned up as soon as he had the position,unles people mostly in the USA DON'T accepted him.

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. Laverne

At least the beard hid some of that fat hanging from this neck. Maybe Obama he can hang out at the gym with Obama?

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. California Girl

The beard helps structure his face to appear thinner. Bring the beard back!

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  24. ETTA

I just recently suffered a heart attack so I say drop the weight and be healthy, life needs to be enjoyed for a long time.

December 3, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. Tim

As PeeWee would say, that's so funny I forgot to laugh.

Anyone here think Obama has a sense of humor?

December 3, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |