December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Pepou

I agree. He was much better looking with it. More intellectual ...

December 3, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  2. Peggy the Unemployed

I thought he looked "hot" with the beard. Hope he grows it back.

December 3, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. proudliberal

bring back the beard. it covers up those other 2 chins.

December 3, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  4. Kevin

Why did Obama comment about this? What does a beard have to do with Richardson's appointment?

Why did reporter feel the need to write about this? Was ANYONE REALLY CONCERNED about this?

December 3, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  5. JOE THE DRUMMER

Richardson needs to get liposuction for his double chin he looks like a bull frog. A diet could work also.

December 3, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. "Barry" Moore

Did Richardson throw the beard under the bus like he did New Mexico? That is a typical action for an Obamaniac. Nothing permanent and dependable anywhere!!

December 3, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. Bill Charlotte,NC

I love this guy!

December 3, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  8. Meh

I love Obama's sense of humor, but is this really news, CNN?

December 3, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. Reality

Here come four years of democrat elites rolling around in their own pretentious offal. This is the news you can expect. Nevermind the historic troubles facing America. Party before country. Pun intended.

December 3, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Steve in VA

What difference does it make, both he and Obama are extremely shady characters with or without beards, mustaches, goatees, or whatever.

December 3, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Business Owner In NY

Someone took time to write about this?

December 3, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. George

Boy that Obama has a quick wit, doesn't he?

December 3, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. Jan

Should have left the beard...looks better with it...

December 3, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. Judi in Los Angeles

Please, please bring the beard back! I, for one, think it looks great!!

December 3, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Liz

I think the beard made Richardson look pretty suave. Hope he decides to grow it back.

December 3, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Bill Richardson was my first choice, but he didn't make it to Texas.
    I'm behind Obama 100% and know that Richardson will be a great Sec'y of Commerce.
    Oh yeah, I liked the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. dave

mike... seriously?

December 3, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  18. Nelson Colorado Springs Co

nothing to say

December 3, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Mike in Asheville

C'mon guys...lighten up. It's nice to have some levity these days.

December 3, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  20. Suzanne

I love his beard

December 3, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. lonnette33

Yep! The beard is what he needs to worry about. Not!

How about joining Weight Watchers. I've lost nearly 15 lbs thus far Richardson ?

December 3, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. rich

That's change u can believe in folks! lol

December 3, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. Solomon Studenberg

He really let himself go. The pig outs must have been prodigious. He now looks like an overfed turkey, fattened up by the canibals for a feast, where he would be the main dish. Anyone who has so little self respect, cannot be good for Obama.

December 3, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. CZS in FL

Kissing a man without a beard is like eating an egg without salt. Richardson is the first candidate I ever donated money to for his election. He is highly competent and I am glad he is in this administration. Get the beard back!

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Soccer Nana

My vote is for the beard!

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |