December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Quick

Wow, some of you need to lighten up some.

I believe this post was merely intended to be humorous.

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  2. TexasAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Yo Bill-
    The consultants were right about the fact you needed to lose some weight.
    The beard thing is your choice.
    Personally, I'm disappointed that Obama included him in his cabinet. This is the only cabinet selection I disagree with thus far.

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. IndyVoter

Definately better with! But still guapo and he'll be a great Commerce Sec'y to boot.

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. RepublicanForObama

Duuude, they were kidding! Why are there serious folks commenting here. He's not the president yet. And the current one is watching our country crumble. Judge him when he steps in the White House.

Geees.

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. McFly

Jeez people, lighten up!

Brother Richardson ... don't listen to all these haters, they are just jealous. Now, go give 'em hell at the Commerce Department!

Delta Tau Delta FOREVER!

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  6. Mary Chrisman

Grow, Bill, grow!

December 3, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  7. Angi's mom

I won't comment on his appearance if he doesn't comment on mine. : -)

December 3, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  8. Audrey

Grow the beard back!!! I liked the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  9. Kevin

He should have kept the beard showing his rebellion, polticians should be distinguishable and original, grow it back.

December 3, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  10. Amy

The real question is, what kind of puppy will he be getting? I mean, THAT'S news, right?

December 3, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. brian

Dude – Keep the beard or lose a little weight Bill..

Come on man! One pound per week...

December 3, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  12. Jerri

Bill Richardson is a very handsome man with or without the beard. However, for his sake and those that care about him, he really should lose weight.

December 3, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. E_va

To beard or not to beard...LOL. This is news?

December 3, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  14. rb

I think it's a great look for him...well trimmed, and frames his eyes and smile very nicely.

December 3, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. Jim

great reporting CNN. Keep up the good work.

December 3, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  16. Dennis

Bill Richardson would have been a much better choice for Secretary of State than Hillary. I think he can be diplomatic. Something I can't see Hiallary doing.

December 3, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. CJ/PA

Wow, some of you people are downright critical and ugly yourselves with your comments. Bill Richardson is one of the finest negotiators around, and he will be a credit to the job of Secretary of Commerce, which is also a vital part of the Administration as far as job creation, trade, and economics go. Please lighten up - you slammed Obama when he gave Joe Biden cupcakes, and now he makes a joke about Bill's beard - we need a little levity during these times, and humor is what, eventually, will help all of us get through these tough times! Relax everyone – help is truly on the way (if we can just get through the next 49 days!!)

December 3, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  18. Alex

Yeah, bring back the fuz, lose some weight, it's awwwright.

December 3, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  19. peopleguru

The beard was awesome and he is the kind of empathetic, collaborative and generous man we need in the Cabinet. Regardless of his official role, he is going to a voice for common-sense and fairness. He (and Napolitano) will provide the perspective of those in the southwest whose voices we need more of on the national stage.

December 3, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Rosa Birmingham, AL

I like the beard. He probably should lose some weight though for health reasons.

December 3, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  21. Helen

Richardson looks much better with his beard. It hides his double chin or "cluck" (like a chicken)

December 3, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  22. Bonnie

Thank you for the humor. I can always use a chuckle during the day. If someone doesn't see the need for humor or why this is fun, then you really really do need some humor. I don't need to have gloom and doom all day every day to make my day meaningful. A little perspective please people.

December 3, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  23. Lisa

I love the beard, hope he grows it back!!!

December 3, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  24. Veronica

Bummer – I was kind of partial to the beard ...

December 3, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. Anonymous

I deeply agree with you you only live once so do what you are please to do and what makes you happy nobody lives for you so i am with you a 100 percent thank god for the thick people having the mentally to do whatever theywant to do thick people are on the map too.

December 3, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |