December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Sharon Kitchen

The beard look was great.
    Either way- Bill Richardson is a good person and will due a good job.

December 3, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  2. Am

O""Big lord who care for his beard.

December 3, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  3. Rod Haper

Most definitely better with the beard. Grow it back, Bill.

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  4. Mrs. Richardson

Don't get me started...

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. FEDUP

I'm getting quick sick of the "alarmist" headlines. "Oh no, Obama is disappointed in Richardson... WHY???" Ha! Joke's on me... I read the article.

What's next???? "BUSH RESIGNS" (Bush resigns autograph because his orignal signature was smudged)

Pathetic! Stick to the news and leave the sensationalism out of it!

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. Joe

Please tell me why I should care CNN.

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  7. Desperate for a Story

Why would a reporter waste a question on such a stupid inquiry?
    Why not ask him a semi-intelligent question?

December 3, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Anna, ATL

The beard hides that ghastly neck of his.

There is no loyalty with Richardson. Zero. Keep at the bottom rungs as much as possible, if we have to have him at all.

December 3, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  9. JL Picard

Commander Riker!?

December 3, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. R. Beard

I wish I could see pictures of the people who put negative comments about Bill Richardson's look and weight on this bog. They are probably are the ones that look Butt-Ugly and have no significant meaning or accomplishments in there lives.

I have watch B.R through-out the whole presindential primary and he seems to be a very honest nice person and knew his studf. I've even read about all his past post and accomplishments while he was under Bill Clinton's white house and the man has never has a negative review about him. So Obama has done well to put him in his cabinet. So for all you Haters....Get a life and get over it with him endorsing Obama over Hillary. He like the 56% popular voters got it right.

Obama/Biden 08

December 3, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  11. Sue

I loved the beard....makes him look younger!

December 3, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. Old White Virginia Female

All of you folks with the Judas fixation in connection with Richardson need to get over it. I believe the man had the same morality problems with Mrs. Clinton that I did and could no longer support her. That is not a Judas. That is a decent man and that probably has more than anything to do with Obama wanting him on his team. The question is when is Hillary going to screw Obama to the wall. She is the one person whom he has taken a chance on who is not only capable but very probably going to upset this apple cart. And all because of 18 million cracks, certainly not expertise in foreign affairs. His best move was getting her as far away and as busy as possible with something OTHER than health care since he couldn't sweep her under the rug, unfortunately.

December 3, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  13. t

I love all you people going on about how fat and ugly he is. The anonymity of the internet is a beautiful thing. I'm sure your all just way super hot!

December 3, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. Dan Henrich

He's absolutely right to be disappointed. Gov. Richardson needs that beard to define his neck, and who wants a Secretary of Commerce without a neck?

December 3, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  15. Joaquim

Most men of spanish heritage look good with facial hair. Macho

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  16. Lauren

You have got to be kidding CNN,,,,,,

Obama commenting on a beard is NEWS?????????

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  17. John G

Welcome to the next four years. Facial Hair and fundraising to pay off the losers campaign debt is the name of the game.

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Mav in Midwest

Bring back the beard!

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Maryam

Interesting,,,,, it seems loads of u out there have nothing better to do but pettiness..... im having goose bumps to c adults condescending so low analysing a beard or looks ! my friends lets worry about the recession and the way forward than ugly comments .
    We all have a right to our looks n style. i wish we could post pictures of our famous commentators... perhaps mum will be the word.....

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  20. Jerry

To those of you on here that are obviously lacking a sense of humor, and in some cases a pulse, it was a JOKE! Geesh! At least now we have a President we can laugh with, and not at! C'mon people!

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  21. Bread and Circuses

Why is this news?

December 3, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  22. Nick

It's depressing to me how seriously some of the commentors seem to have taken this and how important appearances seem to be to them. The story was clearly just to highlight Obama's sense of humor. Relax.

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  23. Johnny V

As a former New Mexican, I'm glad he got the cabinet post. He shoulda got the Secretary of State gig, as he is much more qualified than Hillary.

Definitely needs to bring back the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  24. T. Jackson

Bring the beard back!!

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. MARY

He looks ten years younger with the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |