December 3rd, 2008

Oprah filming in DC for inauguration week

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.
Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

(CNN) – Oprah Winfrey is heading to Washington.

The talk show host told Access Hollywood Tuesday night that she will tape her inauguration week shows in the nation’s capital, and has rented the Kennedy Center’s lush Opera House – which seats roughly 2,300 - to serve as her studio for the week.

"I'm going to break that right here; that's where I'm going to be," she said. "See you there . . . that's the place to be."

Winfrey, who fundraised for Obama, appeared with him in several key primary states, including Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. She was also on hand for his acceptance speech at the Democratic convention in Denver, and his victory speech in Chicago last month.

“There are not even words to talk about what this night means,” Oprah told Access Hollywood that night. “Everybody keeps using the word historic — there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this.”

1. Smart Move

Right...I`m really interested in what a racist biased moron is doing? I`ll only be interested if she`s screwing up her show so bad enough to get it cancelled-and then I`ll be ecastic.

December 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Gaylon Barrow

Oprah has ripped her britches with a lot of folk. The only thing I can say that is good about her traitorship to Hillary. Is we won't have to put up with her but a few more years before her so-called empire falls into crumbs.

December 3, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  3. kaTE

D.C. is going to be crazy fun that whole week! I'd give a lot to be there, but flights are ridiculously expensive. Luckily, there'll be great TV coverage of the entire 20th!

December 3, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. chuck

MONEY RULES THE WORLD. WAY TO GO OPRAH.LET'S ALL ENJOY THIS ONE IN HISTORY.

December 3, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  5. Patricia in Las Vegas

Oprah is an amazing woman who has been greatly successful. She gives back to the community. What is wrong with you people? You hate folks who come from humble beginnings and achieve what comes from talent and drive? Get over it!

December 3, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  6. BROOKLYN

And she did not have her own agenda?

Really, who cares...

December 3, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Missouri

I think it couldn't be more wonderful, Oprah!!! If I could afford to be there I would be there with you. We will be watching!!! I watched the uglyness of the 50's and 60's, and that is nothing like what generations of families went through before that. I am white and 60 years old and I celebrate this for all of us!!

Have fun and God Bless!

December 3, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  8. Ivory Baker

I understand Oprah's enthusiasm and genuine pride in President-elect Obama's history breaking accomplishments. I too would want to celebrate a validation of the worth of African Americans' achievements in and for our Great Nation. Obama stands on the shoulders of some of the greats, including Oprah. Too Oprah, way to go. I wish you a great week of celebrations.

December 3, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  9. Meh

As annoying as Oprah can be sometimes, you have to give her props. She was dirt poor growing up and now she's the wealthiest woman in America, all on her own merit and smarts. Good for her!

December 3, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  10. Hankers

Opra: "there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth…" I think either an exageration or a bit of black narisisism.... but that's OK too.

December 3, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. Ann

This horrible woman again..

December 3, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  12. no bailouts

we should have so much pride in our choice for this election, it's one of the greatest moments in our life time. God bless oprah, and all our elected officials.

December 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Geri

Rather than rent out the building for an ungodly price, why doesn't she take that money and donate it to all the homeless in DC or feeding the hungry??? She's got more than enough money than she'll ever be able to use or why doesn't she donate more to Brad Pitts project in New Orleans. Lets get real, she wants a steady invitation to the White House. Maybe she'll be the Monica Lewinsky of the Obama administration since she thinks they both walk on water. Poor Michelle.

December 3, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  14. judy d

stay home Ophah

December 3, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  15. Geri

CNN.....where's my comment????

December 3, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  16. JB

In the early years women were Oprah's bread and butter. When she got all the bread and butter that she needed, and when women needed her most, to support our rights, she supports Obama over a woman , Clinton, don't let it be said it was an issue difference because there was little difference in either candidate. Never before had she came out for a politician. For years she preached on empowerment of women and turns around and gives the movement a swift sharp kick.There are many things about her show, angel network, book club , donations to other countries that are very one sided. I for one am no longer a fan and could care less where she'll be on the inaugural day or the days after that. Other women should think before they blindly support any thing she does.

December 3, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  17. The Lady

I wish I could be there.

December 3, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  18. ck

geez, Oparah is still on TV????

December 3, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  19. crissy

UNBELIEVEABLE. Where is all this Oprah hate coming from? What has she done? O yeah, she endorsed a candidate who happened to win the election. And she is HAPPY about it. Oh my God, she is a racist. People get over yourselves. If she wants to use her well earned empire to express that happiness who are you to judge? One more thing, Obama is black because society says if you have black blood you are black, regardless if your blood is mixed with any other blood. Stop HATING.

December 3, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. The Lady

For all of you hating because Oprah endorsed Obama who are you to tell her who to vote for? Oprah has a right to vote for whom ever she choses just as you do. I am sure you would not want me telling you who to vote for!!

December 3, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  21. Erika, KS

Oprah should just shut the hell up. I'm sick of her. Apparently, she just can't get enough of herself. There's a reason I haven't watched her show: big old fat broad yelling and carrying on. It gets ratings, I guess, but who cares what she has to say? She's nothing more than another black person who stabbed the Clinton's in the back for Obama. Get lost Oprah.

December 3, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  22. Yikes

I think I am going to be sick.......

December 3, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  23. kevin

donate the money for the place you want to rent oprah. donate to the hungry and needy of dc. you rotten blimp

December 3, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  24. Stephen

The sad part about most of the bloggers here who have expressed negative comments about Oprah's support of Obama is that if she were a Black female on welfare they would still have something negative to say. So, the truth is that here you have a successful Black female (a self made multi-millionaire) supporting a successful highly educated Bi-racial male (he is Black and White) and instead of celebrating their successes, simply because they are both known as Black, the only thing you can say is still something negative. I believe Oprah has the right to support whomever she wants to support. Oprah's show can go off the air tomorrow and she'll still be more successful financially than the majority of people posting the negative tacky comments on this blog. I learned a long time ago that people who are inferior always had to feel that there is someone beneath them. That's why my Black parents (yes I had a mother and a father in my household) taught me to "let my haters be my motivators".

So...yes even in 2008 racism is still alive and well in America. Just ask the GOP who tried all the diversive tactics imaginable (code words and inneundo) during the election this year.

December 3, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  25. kevin

ah hello you big cow, the end of the cival war. the end of the cold war. the end of world war one and two. why don't you watch what you say. your from the ghetto, why don't you go back to the ghetto and shut up. god the biggest night ever one the planet. this guy isn't even president yet. he could stink as bad as carter. god your so stupid. don't leave words out there you might have to eat later. stupid cow

December 3, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |