December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. kasera

PLEASE GO ALREADY? WE ARE TIRED OF YOU. THANKS TO TEXAS THEY HAVE FOUND A PLACE TO LIVE

December 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  2. paul in miami

The G w Bush library should be named The GW Bush Jail and keep him there with the rest of his gang if criminals for the rest of their miserable lives. What a waste of human potential...

December 4, 2008 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  3. Phreddy57

I have to agree with AJ, President Bush has done a lot for history. He is the only President that could make Millard Fillmore look like a great statesman.

I remember he used to spend a lot of time in my neighborhood, the West-End of Galveston, before he became Governor of Texas. I bet he wouldn't dream of living there now. It's still a wreck because he is too busy blowing what little is left of the US budget to make sure his fat-cat billionare friends have plenty of cash for the next eight years.

December 4, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  4. jennifer

I'm just glad he isn't moving to Houston.

December 4, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  5. kasera

HE SHOULD BE SENT TO THE HAGUE

December 4, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  6. Jimmy

Tom Dallas TX

December 4, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Its a shame people have nothing better to do than to keep on swinging the perverbial stick at the dead horse. Even hating where people move to? How low can people go. I support my President, Dem or Rep although my values tend to be more Rep-oriented. Still, I cannot for the life of me understand so much hatred against opposing political parties.

I haven't been affected that much by the ailing economy because:
    1) I positioned myself well in the workforce
    2) I was never tempted by easy money to refinance my home
    3) I live within my means and am prepared for a "rainy" day

I believe this is my responsibility as a citizen of the United States of America and as a member of my state and community. It may sound simplistic but the more complicated you make your life, what do you expect?

December 4, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  8. James

New house, old house, whatever – I am counting days. I am so ready for the Good Bye George Party!

December 4, 2008 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  9. JB

Just the beginning, I knew that Crawford would no longer be big enough. He will live like a sheik on all of our oil money.

December 4, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  10. Mike

Dallas is ugly!! Why did the first lady choose Dallas instead of Austin or Houston?

December 4, 2008 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  11. No Hillary = No Obama

And so it begins. Mansion in Dallas, milions in speaking engagements, appearances, book deals and BLOOD ALL OVER HIS HANDS.

December 4, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  12. No Hillary = No Obama

December 4, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  13. Meh

Impeach Obama> First of all, your name is ridiculous. He's not even the president yet. You have nothing to base your "impeachment" claims on.
    Second of all, there is no "rink", or RING. It's an untrue tabloid story. Move along.

Oh and, W., don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you. Buh bye!

December 4, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  14. Jessica Grimes From Dallas

I for one, am PUMPED to have President Bush living in Dallas! All GWB haters need to get a life. You won ... move on. Dang, liberals are bitter even when they "win"....

December 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  15. dont forsake truth

Exile

Exile to Falujah

All Bush's, for 10 generations

Exile to Falujah

December 4, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  16. Dave in LA

Good! Leave!

... and stay there!

December 4, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  17. Nada Z

Can't go to Austin, that's where is brainy daughters managed to get arrested twice – each – for underage drinking at the same bar/restaurant.

December 4, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  18. GloomBoomDotCom

I am still a supporter of good old George. He has a good heart and did the best he could. Let's see how Obama does. It looks so easy from the backseat. Check out GloomBoom.com

December 4, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  19. Janice Illinois

To Truth Please; FDR attacked the people who bombed Pearl Harbor, GWB started a war with a country that was not involved with the Twin Towers attack. Your comparison is ludichrist. The supposed reason for going to Iraq was WMD's , none were found . Face The TRUTH head on, Bush is the worst of them all, you can't defend stupid 'so don't try. Bush stole from all of us ,you me our neighbor, every time the oil co. stiffed us , he got a piece too. What about the overseas contracts ,like Haliburton, Think he's not in that up to his neck? Think again. If you bought yourself a (show house ) and are living beyond your means, and the taxes on your showplace are more than you could possibly afford, Yes, It's your fault. We all know what what we can and can't afford, it is what it is, your fault.

December 4, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  20. Al, Southern California

How about a prison cell? Invasion to Iraq would be enough, not to mention the whole list.

December 4, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  21. tail-thumping dog

After the bang-up job George Jr and Dim Dick did screwing up this country, there'll probably be a lot of Americans moving besides them.

Moving to shelters, crappy apartments, or even the family sedan.

Good riddance Bush, don't show your face in Washington again!

December 4, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  22. CAROLE

I am glad that Mrs. Bush is going to a nice home. Dubya should go to Gitmo and bunk it there. Maybe let him experience the treatment they get.

December 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  23. Dan

Our country is doomed. All any one has to do is read the comments left here to understand why.

December 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  24. Steve from Florida

Now I have another reason to dislike everything about Dallas...including the Cowboys and "W"!

December 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  25. ga

George W was the best president Mexico ever had. Why doesn't he retire there or China? We've been poisoned with bad food and lots of lead in everything. What did he care? Our borders were left wide open. We have no way of knowing who, and what, is now living in this country. Yep, you belong in jail!

December 4, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |