December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. louie

send him to jail.he is a war criminal

December 4, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  2. You don't need to know my name

I hope he realizes that if he defaults on the mortgage of their new house, the government won't be there to bail him out.

December 4, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. Doug from Allentown, PA

Dear Jessica:

"...The Geneva Conventions pertain primarily to enemy-combatants and P.O.W.s, which is why they are applicable to Guantanamo..."

Congratulations. You are the first one to at least try and give a specific example. You may be interested in knowing that the Justice Department lawyers (correctly or incorrectly) determined that the Geneva convention does not apply since these individuals do not have a uniform, and are not serving in the armed services of a nation which the US is at war with.

Now, you might say that is a mighty convenient play on words, but it is a legal matter that "reasonable people" could disagree on. I for one don't believe it applies to terrorists.

December 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  4. eric

How much did DADDY BUSH have to pay YALE to get Jr a
    "gentlemans C". My cat is smarter then GW. A TERRIBLE PRESIDENT. Dallas you can have him.

December 4, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  5. John

TRUTH PLEASE:

Note that Bush did not send us to war in Iraq nominally because of or immediately after 9/11. That was Afghanistan, where we knew and still know that the Taliban were allowing safe-haven for Al-Qaeda. Clearly you were not paying attention to events at the time and haven't brushed up since.

December 4, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  6. Doug from Allentown, PA

"...With all the enemies Bush has made world wide, he would do better to live on a military base or in a bomb-proof bunker...."

You people REALLY think the world loved us before George Bush? The fact is most of the world has always hated us, still hates us, and will continue to hate us. There are many reasons for it. Some are justified and some are not.

Now I imagine a few nations may be "more upset" with us because of Iraq/Afghanistan. Pakistan is a good example, as I imagine is Iran.

December 4, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  7. No Bush

go go go goneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..

December 4, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  8. Doug from Allentown, PA

Carl from MI

First: I have a BS in Biology and an MS in Computer Science, so I guess that means I am educated.

Second: I live in town (a city of 100,000 or so) and I have never been called a redneck.

Third: I voted for Obama. Not because I agree with everything he says. Just as I don't disagree with everything that Bush says.

Fourth: "...study after study..." means nothing to me. I am sure that there are just as many studies that may show it works. I also question who actually performed those studies. Probably groups like Amnesty International.

Don't get me wrong. Torture should NOT be taken lightly. I also have no doubt that some may have gone too far. Individual people always do. I am just enough of a realist to know that torture is something that civilized nations deplore when asked but they ALL use it when they feel there is no other way.

December 4, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  9. Mark, Vancouver WA

No matter how you personally feel about Bush, you give the presidency too much importance – the last time I looked, we had three branches in our government. However, throughout history we have always tended to blame the president in office for our current problems, rarely looking at the previous administration or what Congress allowed to happen. Maybe we can stop bashing and blaming each other and try to actually figure a way out of all of our current crises – ones created by a multitude of people!

December 4, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  10. clifford

If President George W. Bush is so bad ,why haven't Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid layed those articles of impeachment on Bush that they drew up a couple years ago just before the mid-term elections??? Lot's of show and pagentry but no substance. Everything he did to protect us from another terrorist attack was legal and voted on and okayed by our next Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. Deal with it because Bush will never be charged with anything illegal!!!

December 4, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  11. aynes54

Hannity always said you Obama supporters were so bitter....You won...you should be so happy and joyful this time of the year but instead you are so full of anger and hatred. At least accept the fact that you and your children and grandchildren have been safe over the past seven years because of George Bush. If for no other reason, give him that credit. Maybe you will only realize how important that is if God forbid we have another 9-11. Why can't you enjoy your victory??? Maybe the truth is you are feeling a bit jaded as the "change" that was promised may not be coming....Someone from Texas who is glad to receive the Bush's back.
    Merry Christmas everyone!!!

December 4, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  12. Pete Collins

I think Barbara... I mean Laura... told George "I'm going to live in Dallas when we leave the White House. You can live with me, or you can live in Crawford". Welcome to the return to normal married life, Georgie.

December 4, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. Doug from Allentown, PA

S, Orlando, FL

First: There is no reason to call me an idiot but if it makes you feel better, I understand.

Second: I am not saying that Bush was a good President, or that he didn't lie. I am not saying that I am a Bush supporter. For the record, I was in 2000, abstained from voting in 2004, and voted for Obama in 2008.

Third: Lying is not a war crime. If it is, we would be out many politicians on both sides of the aisle.

The only possible avenue to persue the war crimes line would be for the prisoners at Gitmo. As I mentioned in another post, the Justice Department challenged the definition of prisoner of war and believe that it does not apply to non-uniformed terrorists.

December 4, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  14. Accountability

There goes the neighborhood.....

December 4, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  15. MBFLA

At least there is one house in Dallas that Bush has not helped push into foreclosure! Those folks lucked out but then again they were most likely oil friends or baseball friends or Saudi friends anyway.

December 4, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  16. Doug from Allentown, PA

megalodonbite

As I mentioned in numerous posts, I voted for Obama. I just want people to articulate themselves better. Thinks like "send him to prison" are really pointless.

Legitimate criticisms of the Bush administration regarding the Katrina response, the run-away debt, and his role in promiting policies of general de-regulation on wall street are all genuine and well deserved.

I am always careful to mention that there is blame on both sides of the aisle. Congress (majority Democrats since 2004) gave Bush all the money he wanted. Many members of the Republican party other than Bush threw away their small government, fiscal responsibility stance in favor of pupulist BS in a feeble attempt to stay in power.

December 4, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  17. Doug from Allentown, PA

Ed Word...

But you barely know me.

December 4, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  18. Larry Robinson in Belton TX

Hey George old Buddy! I am just down the road from the ranch. Mind if I get the keys and go fishing for a few days? You gonna rent it out, maybe? I hear Palin is looking for another deer lease. You won't miss a few deer (and maybe one ranch hand if Chaney comes along). And if Rumsfeld is still alive and unemployed, he can always sell firewood and pecans off the side of the road.

December 4, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  19. Rob of Chicago

Mr President,

I didn't vote for you in 2000. I didn't vote for you in 2004, when you proved that you represented the majority of Americans. . So, even though I disagreed with many of your policies, until January 20, you are my President. I disagree with you on many issues, but I respect the office you were elected to, and I respect you as my President.

I am saddened that many of my fellow citizens (many of whom I am sure voted for you 4 years ago) have chosen to disrespect you. However, as for me, I will honor you, just as I honor those who have served in the Oval Office before you, regardless of my perspective on their policies.

Enjoy your retirement.

December 4, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  20. yellow dog democrat

Lesson learned. Even President Bush wishes he would have never gotten started in the the Iraq "War" bad information? Well folks, we should always look very closely at our politicians what they stand for, I think in the future politicians are going to have to be held to higher standards as are we!

December 4, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  21. Eugene

"I know a place where you can go"!

December 4, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  22. Marlou Davis

Good luck to President Bush and first lady Laura Bush. Good Luck to our new President Barack and first lady O'Bama.
    We live in a capitalist society that sorts out the weak and those unable to compete in the market place. No one can escape that inevitabliity and as such it is tough to be a working American. It is literally dog eat dog in our real world and more government or a controlling government is not the answer. Check the United Soviet Socialist Republic and see the society they finally lost.

December 4, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. joyce

TEXANS DON'T WANT MAINE'S TRASH. WE WANT MAINE TO RECLAIM THE BUSH GANG. WE DO NOT WANT THEM HERE. THEY DESTROYED OUR BEAUTIFUL STATE, AND ITS ECON. LIKE HE DID THE NATIONS. GEORGE W BUSH AND GAND NEED TO BE TRIED FOR WAR CRIMES,

December 4, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  24. Ken

Who really cares where Bush lives, as long as it is out of the White House!

December 4, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  25. Judy

I've lived in Dallas. It is an absolute hell hole. In fact, I think it's hotter than hell. What an appropriate retirement spot for the lovely couple!

December 4, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |