December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. George

Bush is funny, he's no longer the chief decision maker. Respect for his wife, hmmm, I wonder if Billy Clinton has a genuine respect for his wife.

December 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Tex

Let the Bushes live in peace, geeze!!

December 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. President Obama/VA

Do you need any help packing W? Me and my buddies will bring a couple of Uhauls up to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave and you get you on your way. Good riddance!

December 4, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  4. nuggetTX

Yuck. Preston Hollow is a few miles from where I live. It's also one of the most expensive places to live in North Texas. Multi-million dollar mansions, butt up against slums. So gross.

December 4, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  5. yes we can

he doen't need a loan for sure

December 4, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  6. gino

Not far enough away,

December 4, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  7. C L

Oh how nice to know that some one can afford a house. It's wonderful to know that any fool can be president but hardworking Americans can't afford to keep a roof over their heads.

December 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Tim

Nice to know at least one american is in good enough financial shape to purchase a mansion. I guess after eight years of holding hands with "special" interest buddies, he's going to be very well taken care of.

December 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  9. Mike

As usual, the leftists on this blog are full of hate and ignorance.

December 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  10. Steve

Some of you are as bitter in victory as your are defeat.

December 4, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. Tom in Fl

Maybe...........just maybe............McCain would have gave them a great deal on a house!

December 4, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. GB

Gosh Tex, wouldn't we all like to live in peace. Mr. Bush didn't do all of us that favor.

December 4, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. Amanda

He could go to Guantanamo. I heard the facilities were wonderful.

December 4, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. Bronson

leave the bushes in peace, president bush im sure has done the best he can do with the tools he was given. i am a strong Obama supporter because i have since shifted my party. Bush i believe was one of hte best presidents we have had, think about all the freedoms we have enjoyed because of him, he showed the world that we will retaliate if you attack us, i believe he gave America a backbone it long needed! GREAT JOB MR PRESIDENT, ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT!

December 4, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Shari, NY

Laura should have been the president.

December 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  16. Jordan in San Marcos, TX

He needs to go back to Connecticut.

But at least he's going to be 4 hours away from where I live. He could be a lot farther, but I'll count my blessings.

December 4, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. Chris

I don't want him in my city, people with WMD's will come here after him.

December 4, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  18. Cathy in Florida

What happened to the GEOTHERMAL place they were building this past year?

Our own 'southern bell' and her knocked up daughter had to take us on a tour of it.......remember?

December 4, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Barbara in NC

Al – Not yet – but job-out-sourcing and people losing homes has put a lot of my very close friends closer to the food lines. I weigh a little less than 100 pounds – how much do you eat every day?

December 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  20. javier san antonio

why are we stuck with this sorry sos ! let him leave early and save us some tax money! JAN. 20 CAN COME FAST ENOUGH.

December 4, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. GOP=Epic Fail

Bush should be going to prison; not Dallas!!!!

December 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  22. GOP=Epic Fail

Bush should be going to prison; not Dallas!!!!

This makes me sick!!

CNN Post this.

December 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. Dallas resident

At least I know gas prices in the Dallas-Fort Worth area will stay reasonable.

I'd pay higher prices to have the guy – exit stage left and not relocate in my city.

December 4, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. Cynt

So Laura is the "decider" now?

December 4, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  25. John, Air Force Vet

Leave Laura at peace-send George to Gitmo!

December 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |