December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. jon

bronson......what world are you living in? what freedoms have we been able to enjoy? the freedom to be wire tapped? the freedom to die in an unjust war? the freedom to be beat down during protests outside of the RNC? the freedom to lose as much money as possible? the freedom to go to a hospital and be charged unsurmountable prices for relatively cheap work and medicine? GET OUT OF YOUR BOX

December 4, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. RZA

I never voted for Bush, even when he ran for Governor of Texas, but I wish him a happy retirement-

Can't say that I'll miss you though :)

December 4, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  3. own up

This daily elementary level Bush bashing on CNN article comments is growing tiresome. Why do I continue to read? I don't know, the sociologist in me is always curious to observe all of these people who think they have it figured out...that Bush is some sort of moron compared to them. Well, it must be nice to be above the President of the United States!

Life is so simple when you can blame all of your problems on somebody else, especially if it's just one other person – Bush. I wonder where the blame will shift once Bush is long out of office? Those of you who think Bush is solely responsible for all of your sorrows, you have serious information deficiencies.

The Bushes bought a house, whooptie frickin do. Get over it you cry babies.

December 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. DA

Makes you almost feel sorry for Dallas. I don't care what Rove's spin is, W. Bush is the worst president EVER. He really aught to be going to jail, not a new house.

December 4, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. S, Orlando, FL

His only post-White House home should be a prison cell.

December 4, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  6. I'm Not Missing The Old Mule & Winky Half-baked Alaska

You mean to tell me that Laura doesn't want separate quarters by this time?

December 4, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  7. Steve A. , New Braunfels , Texas

there go's the neigborhood

December 4, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Weaver

None of you have a problem with Obama engaging in shady real estate deals with a convicted felon, but President Bush cannot buy a home on the open market like everyone else. Your hate-filled hearts have blinded you. Opposition to policies is fine. Mind-opposition and hate for a man that has kept us from getting attacked for the last 7+ years is ridiculous.

BTW, you might want to check out what BOTH parities had to do with setting up this financial disaster. If the catalyst that tips our economy is the failure of Fannie and Freddie, two organizations Democrats have been forcing to loan money to people who could never possible repay it, then I believe there is equal blame to go around.

For the real thinkers. If Obama ends up using Secretary Gates to conduct the war on terror in basically the exact same way as Bush, will you hate him too?

December 4, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. California Gold

Guess they quickly ruled out New Orleans as a location to buy.

December 4, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Northern Light

There goes the neighbourhood!!!!!

December 4, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  11. Nancy Beth

Does everyone recall a couple of days ago how right-wing retards were in high dudgeon because Obama reportedly bought his wife some fancy ring? There was a lot of tut-tutting about how these lavish displays of wealth were unbecoming coming from the leader of a country in the midst of a recession and somehow hypocritical (because Obama's a communist, dontcha know). Not a peep out of these losers now that their "man of the people" president just bought his fancy new digs in an upscale neighborhood.

December 4, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. Rick

You democrats are amusing, if nothing else. Your comments usually go something like this: "George Bush is satan himself and I hope after we prosecute him and Dick Cheney for all their crimes and give them the death sentence they both rot in hell and hey, all you republican haters on here, please stop your terrible nasty comments so we can all unite and support our wonderful new president."

December 4, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  13. ben

So it turns out the Crawford Ranch was just a stage prop.

Bush's entire life is fictional.

December 4, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. Florinda

I wish you would all stop with the negativity. Bush did the best he could with what he was given. I am positive no other potential would have done as well to keep this country safe. Not Kerry, Gore, or any other one out there. Obama promised changed – yeah right, he's bringing back Clinton and I hated him and those times. It was Clinton who ransacked the white house on their way out and now they are headed back in. Obama is doing nothing good. At least with Bush I had more money in my pocket than I ever did with Clinton.

December 4, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  15. Port Resi

I wonder if the Republic of Texas will now take down all its "Home of George W. Bush" border signs.

400,000 dollars a year for eight years. They are really hurting for cash.

December 4, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  16. Feels sorry for liberals

I knew after I read the article, before I read the comments that hate filled liberals would be spouting off. Too bad you poor people put all your feelings into another human being. Take responsibility for your own life instead of blaming Bush for every wrong in the world.

It saddens me to see so much hate in this great country.

December 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

I heard he got the house at a discount from the esteemed brokerage house of Dewey, Scruem, and Howell. The house was a foreclosure and the firm is close to the Bush family.

December 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Doug R.

I thought they were separating after his term expired. She should dump him. Then he could go back and live with mommy and daddy.

December 4, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. TO BRONSON

Making yourself feel better because you voted for him. you say good job Mr President,enjoy your retirement Mr president,(to bad a lot of people will NOT),Tanks for keeping us safe Mr president. you gatta be fu#@ing kidding me. 10,000 homes lost, over a million job's lost this year alone,two wars (ten billion a month),should I metion the BUDGET DFICIT,sep, 11 yes it happend on bush's watch,et..et.et.et..
    SO YEA AWSOME FU#@ING JOB MR PRESIDENT.

December 4, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  20. reggie

Good luck to them both. After eight years of doing what he thought was right for country, rather than what was popular, he deserves some R & R. His biggest accomplishment is that he has kept America safe after 9/11 and for that we all are very grateful.

December 4, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. ET from Omaha

When he allowed others to forclosed with his disastrous management of the country, the incombent president is buying a new house. Impressive.
    New white house must be very lucrative.

December 4, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. Doug from Allentown

Are all of you people posting to this REALLY loosing your home?

Is it Bush's fault that you bought what you couldn't afford?

Where is your personal accountability? I actually heard an Obama supporter claiming that "Now I can afford to pay my rent, my electric, my car..." How pathetic is that?

Not many people that are going through forclosure on their primary home can seriously look in the mirror and say "Absolutely none of this is my faault."

December 4, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Anonymous

tell george I hope he likes his new home after he murdered many americans sons and daughters in the iraq war.

December 4, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. John in WV

I just wish he'd move out now.

December 4, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  25. IND

Things were fine until we got a democratic dominated congress/house. That's when the rules for lending were relaxed and any body with a dime could sink themselves into huge debt. So let's not foget this is EVERYBODYS screw up who thought they could have an income of $15,000 and purchase a $300,000 house!!!

December 4, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |