December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. Doug from Allentown

"...He stole enough so now he can spend after 8 years...."

Tell me exactly what George Bush stole. I want to hear it. Don't give mey Obama campaign spin. I want dollar amounts and victim names. If you are going to levy those accusations, you should be specific.

Don't mention your 401K either. The President has surprisingly little power to influence the economy. Don't mention Iraq either. We are spending less than 2 percent of GDP there. Give me specifics.

December 4, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  2. Karen - Missouri

Do we care?

December 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Doug from Allentown

"...His new home should be in prison along with Karl Rove and Dick Cheney..."

If you agree to send Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, and Nancy Pelosi as well. They had much to do with our current economic mess by holding off regulation of Fannie and Freddie all while legally forcing them to increase the number of sub-prime loans they underwrote.

I realize that they actually believed that they were helping people by making credit available to them. What they failed to realize is that some people are not ready for the responsibility of a home and the mortgage that goes with it.

December 4, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. globalgroove

As Vicki Lawrence as Mama would say: 'I bet the neighbors are lovin' this!'

December 4, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  5. Mike Dallas

Great.

December 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. Doug from Allentown

"...President Bush looks so old. There is no way I'd ever want to be President. Not worth it...."

For the athiests reading, skip the next line.
    Amen.

Read the next one instead.
    I certainly agree.

December 4, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  7. Virginia

Cathy in Florida, what ARE you talking about?? Maybe I am behind, but I haven't heard anything about this. Are you sure you aren't thinking of someone like these very intelligent people like the movie stars and celebs who are so self-righteous when they brag about all of their wonderful efforts to "go green" and help out in all these places that are suffering?

I wish the Bushes good luck. They deserve a home like the rest of us and if it is in Dallas, so be it. I will be supporting him and his father for a long time, and Jeb if he makes it to DC!!

December 4, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. PDX Gal

Weaver wants you to forget that 9/11 happened on Bush's watch.

If you don't agree with torture, war, Gitmo, wire-tapping, and incompetence, then you're just hate-filled.

December 4, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  9. Maarlene Eichten

I voted for Mr. Bush and I think he did a good job. Its the senate that has the control of the vote. Maybe people will spend less now instead of having these big houses, new cars etc. thats all on credit. When our forefathers had to have cash to pay for there things. We didnt own a new car till we were in our 40s. I know my stock has gone down but thats why you put your savings not all in one basket. Good luck to George and Laura you did the best you can. Were all not perfect.
    You cant please everyone.

December 4, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. PL

I just thank God it's not California. On the flip side, real estate looks real good in Iraq about now and I'm sure he could get a great deal.

December 4, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  11. Sue

Weaver, If Obama uses Sec, Gates to fight the war on terror the same way (ie. illegally using torture, wiretapping innocent people, ignoring the Bill of Rights and the First Amendment, and telling the Justice Dept. their job) yes, I will be against that, vocally and strongly. Bush has committed war crimes, and weaseled his way out of responsibility for that. I could care less where he lives or who he buys from, but I do pray that he never gets a peaceful night's sleep after the havoc he has wrought on this country and the world. He is evil incarnate.

December 4, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Tony

It's good to see losers are still blaming Bush because they're getting kicked out of houses they can't afford and getting laid off from jobs they suck at. Yup, it's all HIS fault for you being an utter loser, not your own.

December 4, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. Texan

Years from now, you all who are against Bush, will be eating your words, when it comes out the Democrats caused most of the economic woes we're facing. Obama made $125,000 in the Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac business. Senator Dodd even more, but still an undisclosed amount.

Bush was the first President to have a USA-mainland attack since Pearl Harbor was attacked on December 7, 1941. Franklin D Roosevelt was in office at the time.

On Pearl Harbor, the USA deaths were 2,300 something compared to the 2,700 something of the World Trade Center towers.

Did the president then get blamed for the atomic bombs being dropped Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

That was far more devasating than anything President Bush has done.

Usually you only hear about Hiroshima, but it was 2 major cities, with Nagasaki being the second one. And those bombings occurred 4 years later, in August of 1945. An estimated 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima, and an estimated 80,000 in Nagasaki. Harry S Truman ordered those bombings. Japan surrounded 6 days later.

Wake up and smell the coffee, people.

Be grateful you are allowed to post opinions and live in a free country, regardless of your view on life or political party.

December 4, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  14. Texan

Oops...typo – Japan surrendered (not surrounded)..sorry.

December 4, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Gaylon Barrow

I'm sure they're not worried about the economy. If we go into a depression their kind will make millions off other peoples misery. Enjoy your life. You should have never been President to start with But daddy fixed it for you. Your being AWOL in the Air National Guard did not fool those of us who were there. An your wife's running down of her supposed to be girlsfriend who took her boyfriend away from her. Does she have any remorse for that. HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE LIVE WITH YOURSELVES?

December 4, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Bill

Just goes to show you that Bush's hardscramble Texas ranch was nothing but a prop to show how "normal" Bush was supposed to be. He likes Crawford? Yea, sure, and I bet Palin's daughter doesn't end up marrying her boyfriend now either.

December 4, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. Mary Lou

My condolences to Dallas.conc

December 4, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. An Obama Supporter

I agree with those commenting on people making rude comments about our president. Enough all ready... he's out... Obama is in... Stop sounding so hateful.

If my grandmother were living, she'd take a switch to some of you with these crude remarks.

Congratulations to President and Mrs. Bush on finding a home to continue their lives.

Godspeed!

December 4, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Jennifer

Oh for heaven's sake. An ex-president should be able to retire anywhere he wants to, whether you like him or not.

December 4, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

rot in hell, Bush.... you're a war criminal and an American disgrace.

December 4, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. PA-Danielle

I am totally willing to help him move out of his current house. No pizza needed.

December 4, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. Veronica

I hope the soon-to-be ex-Chimp-In-Chief doesn't get too comfortable in his new digs. Once the real investigations begin here and abroad for war crimes, he, and the rest of his cabal of criminals, will be enjoying the comforts of Club Fed.

I wonder if the standard issued orange jumpsuit with clash with his skin tone ... LOL.

December 4, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. TexasAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

If i were Laura, I'd tell GW to go ahead and live on the "ranch", and I would stay in Dallas. :-)
    BTW, Preston Hollow is a pretty pricey neighborhood– but I wouldn't live there if they GAVE me a house. Streets are narrow & crowded & poorly laid out. Traffic & congestion are horrible in that area. And a (former) Presidential motorcade should make it even worse! (His neighbors should really be loving him in about 2-3 months.)
    I have to admit– I was scared he might actually look in our area because there are a lot of mega-million dollar homes in our little town right on the verge of foreclosure (not mine– it's not mega-millions nor anywhere near foreclosure). He could have gotten a real buy on a much newer home with a lot more land though– and surrounded by professional sports jocks (which would probably have been right up his alley). Thank God he didn't come here!

December 4, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  24. Pat Pa.

@ Bronson

You must have started to hit the bottle early today.

Get it straight ! Bush did not protect us the last 8 years. He destroyed us.

December 4, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |