December 4th, 2008

Bushes announce purchase of post-White House home

The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.
The first family will move to Dallas after President Bush leaves office.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President and Mrs. Bush will be moving to Dallas after Mr. Bush leaves office, the White House announced Thursday.  “The President and Mrs. Bush have purchased a home in the Preston Hollow neighborhood in Dallas, Texas,” Sally McDonough, Mrs. Bush’s press secretary, said in the statement.

The Bushes lived in Dallas from December 1988 through January 1995. They moved to Austin after Mr. Bush was elected Texas governor in November 1994.  The president was partial owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team during part of their time living in Dallas.

During the latter part of Bush’s presidency, the first lady had made it known that Dallas would be their primary residence after leaving the White House, not the president’s beloved Prairie Chapel Ranch in Crawford, Texas.

“I like Crawford,” the president told a crowd at a Houston fundraiser in July.  “Unfortunately, after eight years of asking [the first lady] to sacrifice, I’m now no longer the decision maker.”  The Bushes will continue to spend some time at the ranch, according to the statement.

As to the specifics of their new home, the Bushes “do not have occupancy of the home, and therefore, no additional details will be provided,” McDonough said.

1. Sarah, CA

He should have never been president. He should not RETIRE IN PEACE because he has caused the death of over 4,000 brave men and women.

He and Laura don't deserve peace, they should rot in hell.

December 4, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  2. hugh ~ california

WHO CARES! Go riddance to George W. Bush.

December 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  3. Baze

Big mistake to announce where he'll be when his highly unpopular tenure is over!

December 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  4. bertha doucet

My prayers is that God bless president and laura bush in their new home, I Still think president bush is a great president .!!!! Please post my comments. Houston texas

December 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  5. John

I love how no one responds to Doug's comments and challenges. Why? Because he's spot-on. There's no doubt that Bush has been the worst president in recent history, even stretching back to the beginning of the 20th century. But he isn't the worst ever (Buchanan, folks). And maybe instead of looking to him as the creator of your problems and as someone to blame, look inside yourself and question why you're actually accusing him. No, I'm not a conservative or a Bush supporter, but the bellicosity some of you have towards him is unfounded and the result of inaccuracies and false presumptions.

December 4, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  6. Ken

@TEXAN: you are deadly ignorant. Literally 'deadly': you need to take responsibility for your mal-informed votes of 2000 and 2008 which lead to the deaths of Americans.

December 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Monica L. - DC

Bush will go down as the greatest President ever! He is not responsible for all of you pin heads that went ahead and got $500,000 mortgages with your pathetic 30k / year job. All of you are looking for handouts because you can't handle the miserable life you've created for yourself. And you blame it all on Bush!! HAHA what losers!

December 4, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. D in MD

After ruining the economy and making it difficult for people to keep even one home, W has decided his 1,000 acre estate isn't enough. So he and Laura will get themselves a second home.

He's on his way to catching McCain in home ownership.

December 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. Jimmy Crackhorns

Dallas voted for Obama over McCain, as did every other major metro area in Texas. Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, El Paso – all went Obama, but just about every other county in the state was McCain. Interesting trend.

Oh yeah, forgot, thank you Dallas for taking one for the team!!

December 4, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  10. hugh ~ california

I could care less about post Bush anything, unless it's about him going to jail for obstruction of justice!

December 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  11. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

To those Republicans crying about all of the HATE that comes from the Dems:

Deal with it!

December 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  12. boered1

Interesting how all the radical right members say that losing ones house is because we bought something we could not afford. let me give oyu some simple FACTS

1) due to a local manufacturer closing, because the supplied parts to an auto manufacturer who cut production, the number of homes on the market quadrupled in the last three months
    2) due to the increase in houses on the markets and the general overall failure of the housing market the value of the average home in my area has dropped 60% from 5 years ago.
    3) Since I owe more than my house is now worth I cannot get further credit to move into a less expensive house
    4)Since there are so many people in my area with the same qualifications the salaries offered those who can get a job are significantly reduced from what they were just a year ago
    5)I cannot move to a different location because I cannot afford to sell my house (I put 20% down 5 years ago have made extra payments each month but you see I cannot afford to pay the 30% of the value of the home when I bought it out of my pocket, my savings and 401 are almost already depleted)
    6) My mortgage was a standard fixed rate 30 loan with 20% down, I was making good money but now cannot afford to keep OR SELL my house
    7)The republicans deregulated the banking industry, it had nothing to do (in my case) with fannie may or freddie mac it had to do with the deregulations of the banking industry
    8) SO HOW DARE YOU SAY LOSING MY HOUSE IS SOMEHOW MY FAULT! RIGHT NOW I AM WORKING TWO JOBS AND CANNOT MAKE ENDS MEET, A YEAR AGO I HAD A SAVINGS ACCOUNT WORTH 3 MONTHS PAY NOW ALMOST NOTHING. Am I angry at the republicans? YES and I angry that their leader (bushie) KNEW of this impending market crash 2 years ago (see the NY Post two days ago) but decided not to act because he believed it would work itself out Dam right I am, am I pissed at the Democrats for not doing something about it? He** yes also. I voted against the policies I saw during the bush era, I voted AGAINST a return to the Clinton policies also, I voted for someone who is not either of them, who has a different solution. Am I sure it will work? NO but I AM sure it will work better than either the liar hillary's plan would have worked (bubba got lucky economically) or the idiot bushies plans as they are (give money to wall street and the banks so they can butress their bottom line and hold more cash in reserve so the average person sees no benefit other than their bank will not change its name). So how about you members of the radical religious right and the loonie left shut up for a while and actually look at what has gone on in this country it is the bickering between you two groups that has made it almost impossible for our representative to work things out! if a democrat talks with a Republican or a Republicna talks with a Democrat to try to reach a concensus you cry they are not partisan enough for oyu and vote them out.

IDIOTS and FOOLS

December 4, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  13. Impeach Obama

The Obamots are out howling at the moon tonight ! Have you seen the photo of Michelle Obama's new $36,000 rink ? Nice. Real nice.

December 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  14. Angel

No not D-town my current home J.K lol....Welcome to Dallas Mr.and Mrs. Bush..make us proud

December 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Clarence, OR

He's a thief and a liar. He doesn't deserve peace.

It must feel awful to be the most hated president ever. The man will go down in history as being the WORST PRESIDENT EVER. And he deserved every big of the label. He was awful and made more Americans worst off than they had been before. He deserves nothing but stones and rocks thrown at him. I can't wait until he leaves so they can fumigate the place. The stench of George W. Bush will take quite some time to air out.

December 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. Mike Dallas

All you dittoheads that voted for Bush twice and are now saying "history" will prove him to be a good President, your just saying that to make yourselves feel better because of all the damage on America your vote caused. Currently, his standing is worse than Nixon, who would have thought that was possible.

For, the record, Preston Hollow is not the MOST expensive place in Dallas, that would be Highland Park and University Park, known locally as the Park Cities, Preston Hollow would probably be considered the second most expensive, altho, it is more of a subdivision as opposed to a municipality like the Cities.

December 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  17. John, Ca

Move in early!

December 4, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  18. Syed Ahmed

I wish the Bushes best of luck with their move to Dallas. I think he was a terrific president. He did whatever anyone would have done after reading those intelligence memos. Obama's move to the center is a clear indication of the inside threats that we face.
    He was right on foregin policy and Gitmo, I would double the size of gitmo. Economy is cyclical, we have ups and downs. He happened to be president when we are going through the down. I don't think he should get blame for wall st corruption and greed.
    And, we didn't have any attacks in 7 years. He should get credit for that too.

December 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  19. Ex-Republican

@Texan

Just be sure to remember, it took an entire japanese fleet with hundreds of planes to pull off an attack against the USA under FDR. They had to attack an island, only one location was attacked. We went to war with Japan and Germany whom were openly allied in a WORLD WAR!

Bush, the bright young chap, failed to stop less then 5 planes on his attack. Not hundreds, not a fleet of ships...FIVE PLANES were too much for him to handle!

In WW2 we entered and won the wars, on two fronts, in 4 years. Bush, the super hero, exits office with no victory, 7 years later and his inability to get something done will be his lasting legacy (that and the deficit, and torture, and wire tapping, taking our freedoms away at will and with out remorse). The people that we STARTED going after...well, gee, he just simply GAVE UP chasing them and jumped into an illegal war. When no WMD's were found he tap danced around and gave us a never ending line of excuses for being there. Always happy to send more of our sons and daughters off to the slaughter house for his illegal war!

Bush, has failed in every way, shape and form. He is a TERRIBLE president plagued by incompetence, stupidity, ignorance and stubborness. It is a joyous moment in our history to see this moron leave the white house. Once again our pride can be restored, knowing we finally got a SMART guy in office.

December 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  20. Bushes & Kelly

Kelly of Wisconsin, why don't you go with them, since you love Bush so much. He's a moron and I guess you are too.

December 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. Peter TX

what did we ever do to deserve this?

December 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  22. Saad from NJ

Come on guys.... Bush did not force his way into the White House..... we elected him. Bygones are bygones... stop writing hateful things about the poor man... if you want to write hateful things about anyone, write them for millions who voted for him, especially for his 2nd term after seeing his 1st term...

and if any of you on this post voted for his 2nd term and are now writing bad about him, look in the mirror... you are the real idiot, not Bush... lol...

December 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  23. Mike

I cannot believe the hatred shown by some of the liberals on this posting. Give the man a break!! It was Billy C. who told us that Saddam had WMD's. You folks need to read a little bit and stop listening to some of the idiots on the left.

December 4, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  24. I Hate Cowards

Why doesn't George go to Gitmo, I hear they have some guys who would love to talk to him.

Barbara and George raised some morons. What a waste of our tax dollars.

Hey George W, don't bother to build a library. We already have one for you-GITMO. Your legacy is in the toilet, you moron.

December 4, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  25. Jennifer

Facts on the economy woes:
    During the 12 years of rule by 2 Republican presidents Reagan and H.W. Bush, our national debt quadrupled. That is it quadrupled over the national debt accumulated during the rule of 39 Presidents and 205 year history of our country.
    During the 7 years of W. Bush presidency, he single handed doubled our national debt. The budget deficit alone for this fiscal year exceeds the entire national debt of our country at the time Reagan took office.
    As of Nov 4, 2008, 78% of countries national debt was accumulated under 3 Republican Presidents (Reagan, Bush and Bush). The remaining 22% of our national debt was accumulated under 39 other Presidents combined.
    During Clinton's 8 years the stock market increased 324%. During 8 years of W. Bush the stock market has declined 76%. Heck it took 3 years and 4 months for the stock market to close 5 consecutive days above the point the stock market was it when W. Bush took office.
    The longest recession since 1920s under W. Bush, 2nd longest under H.W. Bush, 4th longest under Reagan. Number of recessions under Clinton: 0.
    This is why our country is in the predicament that it is in.

December 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |