December 4th, 2008
1 year ago

Has Palin snubbed Oprah?

Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.
Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.

(CNN) – Did Sarah Palin snub Oprah Winfrey?

That's what the most popular daytime talk show host and fervent Barack Obama supporter appeared to suggest in a recent interview with the entertainment show Extra.

"I said I would be happy to talk to Sarah Palin when the election was over... I went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me.”

Winfrey’s comments came in response to rumors she refused to invite the former vice presidential candidate on her popular daytime show.

Earlier this week, the talk show host announced she will tape her inauguration week show in the nation’s capital, and has rented the Kennedy Center’s lush Opera House – which seats roughly 2,300 — to serve as her studio.

“There are not even words to talk about what this night means,” Oprah said of Obama's inauguration. “Everybody keeps using the word historic — there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this.”

Filed under: Oprah Winfrey • Sarah Palin
  1. ROCK

Way to go Palin, you don't need to go on Oprah, matter of fact. I hope you don't. Sarah Palin is an intelligent woman and she will go far in her career, politics if she wants. Stay strong Mrs. Palin whatever you decide, if you remain conservative (Republican) you'll have my vote. I respect your views and I look forward to seeing you in the future years to come.

It is very disheartening to read so many negative views. Just nasty and negative things come out of some people. Whatever happened to:
    "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."

December 4, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Annie, Atlanta

@steve – that's incredibly inappropriate. CNN, take steve's comment about what Lincoln Kennedy and Obama have in common off this blog, please! This kind of crap is totally inappropriate.

December 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Robert

I'm a strong Obama supporter and even an Oprah fan. And even I'm saying this is silly. Oprah was on the trail actively campaigning for Obama. I'm glad she did, but it's hard for her to come back afterwards and be a "reporter" of events. I can't blame Palin on this one.

December 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. The Truth

For a large majority of blacks in this country, skin color trumps things like values and intelligence.

December 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  5. dustin

and can we stop with the whole, this isn't as big as jesus' birth, for those of us who aren't religious, all 30 million of us, bigger than the jewish or black community, its not a convincing argument.

December 4, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. CAROLE

Just like in her interview with Katie Couric, Sarah Palin does NOT know how to handle REAL WOMEN with BRAINS.

She is the biggest disgrace to my sex ever!

December 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. dennis mn

looks like alot of angry home spun sistas down on sarah palin. she is way to smart to go on tv with a old has been. If there wasn't so many lazy black women sitting at home watching her tv show she would have never gone as far as she has.

December 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Tom

I can't stand either Oprah or Sarah Palin. They are both racist frauds.
    Go, be gone with the both of you.

December 4, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. Dr Larry

Nick December 4th, 2008 7:53 pm ET

Hey bob,

You're the one minded pig. Have you ever heard of a concept called context? If not I'll explain. The "context" in which Oprah was referring to there never having been a night like this is not in inaugurating a President. Its the fact that we elected the first African American President you imbecile.

Hey Nick – before you call someone a pig or an imbecile, look in the mirror. Elections happen all the time as well. And frankly it was a totally idiotic statement for ANYONE to say "there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this".

December 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  10. conservatve

WOULDN'T THAT BE A HOOT !!

December 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. amber

I used to have high regards for oprah because she was all about women and our chances to do great things. Now that she had the chance to interview one of our proud women she didnt want to just because of the election. Not fair oprah.

December 4, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. Kate

So what. I love Oprah, but Sarah doesn't need to waste her time appearing on her show. Oprah made it know to the world that she was a Obama supporter. Cry now Oprah and try to make Sarah look bad.

December 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. holly

dear oprah,
    you are not God. I'm sorry everyone is not subservient to you. i feel really bad for you with your billions of dollars and media empire.

December 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. Linda

It ticks me off that Obama is getting so much notoriety for being the first "black" man to get elected as President. Is he the best you can do? For pete's sake, Obama is half white and I would venture to say that that is the half that got him elected. Did Jesse Jackson make it? No! Did Alan Keys? No! Did Al Sharpton? No! If you want to get on the bandwagon and bow down to the first Black to get elected, you should have run a BLACK man or woman. Obama could have just as easily run as a white man. Do you think he would have won the election as a white man.? NO! because then his experience would have mattered. Face it, Obama won the election because of the ethnicity he chose to forefront. If our presidents are going to be elected based on the color of their skin, fine. But please don't insult my intelligence by continuing to claim that Obama is a black man.

December 4, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. mpv

I cannot believe the hateful comments, all of you haters need to go away. I'll bet you call yourself a Christian, you hypocrites. Even if Palin is not the brightest bulb in the room, doesn't mean you all have to dis on Oprah. Oprah is a good person, she has worked hard to be where she is at.

December 4, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  16. Twanna

I can not believe what I'm reading. I can't believe that grown and intelligent adults make comments about anybody they don't know. You sound worse than the kids at the recreational center I work at. I hope you did not vote. The comments you are making are so bias, racist, stupid, ignorant, and un-called for. I can imagine how some of your children act. I can see how America has gone down to tubes. there is no pride, no decency in any of your comments. Regardless of who won or who should have won. Maybe it was just destined or maybe not. But it is what it is. You are fighting a battle that has no meaning. If she goes and if she don't it don't change anything. These two people are who they are because of themselves and their effort to become somebody in the world. So your comments don't make them. Oprah and Sarah I hope you don't buy into all these comments that has no meaning what-so-ever. Oprah by me calling you racist does not make you one and Sarah by me calling you stupid does not make you stupid. It just make me ignorant and a liar. Be who you are who are they to judge. They are angry and misguided and thats how wars get started.

December 4, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  17. Steve from Florida

Sarah is obviously frightened of Oprah...no softballs from Oprah....Greta has become a total Fox O'Reilly sound alike!

December 4, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  18. Charlie in Maine

I hope Sarah Palin's 15 minutes is up soon. This is the last comment I will make about her until she does something newsworthy. It occured to me while writing this that I might be encourging CNN to cover the non-story that is Sarah Palin by commenting on blogs like this. So adios Sarah. I am sure I will have a lot to say about your policies if you run in 2012 or 2032 should you still be running at John McCain's age.

December 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  19. j longs on wissahickon

Do you think Oprah really needs that dingbat? Palin thinks Chicago is a state!!!

December 4, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  20. Don B. from Houston, Texas

Oprah and Sara are different sides of the same coin. Both are ego centric people! No wonder you will not find them on the same show.

December 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  21. Tired of this craze

Someone tell Oprah that have been a lot of nights in the history of this world that were more important than the inauguration night. I am tired of this over exaggeration. It is a historic event and nothing more.

December 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  22. Jo-jo from Dallas

Snubbing Oprah??? I know of a couple of authors that are really sorry they snubbed her. But thankfully we won't have to hear that ridiculous voice and small mind on Oprah's show.

December 4, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  23. Exdurbanite

This is a historic moment but not the second coming Oprah...and you snubbed Sarah palin before the election!

December 4, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  24. SAB

It's hard to imagine Oprah having an intelligent conversation with Sarah Palin. All you have to do is listen to how well Oprah is at expressing her self and listen to Sarah Palin talk. The difference is like night and day. Sarah Palin suppose to have a degree in Journalism which means she should have great written and oral communication skills.

December 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  25. Aksarben

Who cares what Oprah thinks or if she is a snubbed. She is a racist in the worse way ... Sarah doesn't need her ... nor does the rest of the United States. Her prime is over ...

December 4, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |