December 4th, 2008

Has Palin snubbed Oprah?

Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.
Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.

(CNN) – Did Sarah Palin snub Oprah Winfrey?

That's what the most popular daytime talk show host and fervent Barack Obama supporter appeared to suggest in a recent interview with the entertainment show Extra.

"I said I would be happy to talk to Sarah Palin when the election was over... I went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me.”

Winfrey’s comments came in response to rumors she refused to invite the former vice presidential candidate on her popular daytime show.

Earlier this week, the talk show host announced she will tape her inauguration week show in the nation’s capital, and has rented the Kennedy Center’s lush Opera House – which seats roughly 2,300 — to serve as her studio.

“There are not even words to talk about what this night means,” Oprah said of Obama's inauguration. “Everybody keeps using the word historic — there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this.”

Filed under: Oprah Winfrey • Sarah Palin
  1. Steve

I don't care much about Oprah. I've never watched her show. Her self-gratifying show and magazine seem pretty rediculous to me. That being said, why does she care about Palin? The less air time Palin gets, the better. She was instrumental in losing the election for the Republican Party, and she's too stupid to realize just how stupid she really is. I want my party back, and I don't want Palin to be a part of it. If she becomes only a footnote in history, that will be giving her too much air time.

December 4, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  2. Larry

She's fat again.

December 4, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  3. Palin Fan

Good for Sarah! This is the last person you want to chat with.

December 4, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  4. educatedblackwoman

To dennis mn: Your ignorance and stupidity are showing (and, no, they're not the same thing). Oprah's audience demographic is primarily middle-aged *white* women. Watch her show once and see who comprises her audience. As for "lazy black women," guess what? Black women–and women, period–are some of the hardest- working people I know–raising children, maintaining households, paying bills, caring for their husbands. I am a black woman and I have an Ivy-league B.A. and two master's degrees. I've also been accepted into school for a Ph.D. I own my own home, my own car, work a full-time job, am not in debt, do volunteer work, etc. etc. And what do *you* do? Probably not much based on your racist, sexist comment. As for Oprah and Palin, I am a fan of neither, but I admire what both have been able to accomplish.

December 4, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  5. Barbara, FL

I don't watch Oprah (hey, I work during the day) but even if I did, I would not care to see Sarah Palin interviewed, had a bellyfull of her during the campaign.

December 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Mel Springfield, Oregon

Maybe Ms. O doesn't have the pull she thinks she does anymore??

December 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  7. Everyman

The way Ms. Winfrey sees it, is that Obama's swearing-in is the second comming of Jesus.

December 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  8. Jay

I don't know why people are getting worked up over this............
    Palin didn't want to do an interview with Oprah because she wanted to target an audience that would understand her shallow mindedness. Oprah's viewers are well educated and smart women hence Palin was not comfortable.

To say that Oprah didn't want to interview Palin during the campaign............well, did she interview the Obamas or Bidens during the campaign? Of course not, she made it clear that she didn't want to use her show as platform for the campaign.

Now, just because she is successful and famous doesn't mean she can't support a candidate of her choosing outside of her show. If there is a loser in this story, its Palin, Oprah would have introduced her to a whole new demographic that's a complete opposite from the extreme religious wingnuts she identifies with.

December 4, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  9. JB

I'd be happy if they both went away. Palin's a joke and Oprah thinks she's the freakin' messiah. I guess now that Obama's president she's going to take all the credit. I voted for him, but not because Oprah told me to.

December 4, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  10. Jason

What about the event that is celebrated by millions all over the world on December 25th? I think Oprah's going a bit overboard with that last statement.

December 4, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  11. Mel Springfield, Oregon

Wow CAROLE, let's see YOU try and run a state the size of Alaska HALF as well.

December 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  12. notinterested

Palin could not use Oprah as a campaign tool before the election so she has no interest in Oprah now. Wait till Palin runs for office again and she will be knocking on Oprah's door. Palin is self centered and manipulative, no one to be admired.

December 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  13. Barry

Its a good thing Sarah Palin got even with Oprah. Sarah should never talk to Oprah ever. I hope her show goes down with the economy.

December 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  14. Lori

I love Oprah and I'm glad that she supported Obama.

She does not need Palin on her show. Palin is over. Her time came and went in a few weeks. I don't want to hear about her until the GOP nominates her in 2012 and Obama wins his next election like he did this one- in a landslide!

December 4, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  15. LouAnn

Oprah...consider yourself lucky and blessed. Why would you want to talk to her? She lacks any sort of intelligence and her voice is incredibly annoying. You are very lucky. No one is interested in her anymore anyway. She is old news.

December 4, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  16. Donna

boohoo for Oprah....Oprah snubbed Palin before the election.

December 4, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  17. Steve

Bigger than the night Christ was born. Bigger than his death. Bigger than the Allies victory over the Axis in W.W. II. There have been plenty of bigger and more important events. As for Oprah herself, she takes herself way to seriously and is obviously a lot more important in her own mind than she is to most of the rest of us. A few more people need to tell this preaching goody two shoes they don't have time for her and maybe she'll come back down to earth with us commoners for a while.

December 4, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. MM

Good for Sarah!

I hope she is snubbing Oprah, I've been snubbing Oprah myself for sometime. I hope Oprah enjoys her "historic night". Me, I will be reflecting back on some of the other historic nights in American history. Does Oprah even remember where she was on 9/11/01?
    I thought we were a "united" nation but it seems some people still don't get that.

I do wish Obama all the luck. I don't think he needs Oprah to accomplish great things. He seems to have surrounded himself with enough good people.

Oprah should stick to her crash diets and hyper celebrity guests and stay out of politics. She clearly is not objective enough to deal with politics on her show.

December 4, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. Greg, Atlanta

Personally, I'm glad that Palin won't have Oprah's show as yet another venue to butcher the English language...I have a better time understanding Yoda than I do Gov. Palin. Aren't her 15 mins up?

December 4, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  20. john

who cares about Palin WE HAVE REAL PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD. We need efficiency in transportation. there are poor kids who cannot eat and all some people want to talk about is Palin. Give me a break its pathetic

December 4, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  21. Joe The Plumber

Oprah, I wouldn't worry about Palin. You're better off not to have her on your show. It wouldn't do anything positive for you and why bring in all the negativity that she brings with herself. Just move on and realize that some people are just going to act childish no matter what.

December 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  22. LALA

Oparah, It does not matter whether she talks to you or not. You are
    doing her a great favor by inviting her to your show. Sarah will mess up her political carrier if she does not sit down somewhere and plan
    her future.Thanks.

December 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  23. Jim

Time will tell. Change is what I voted for but all I see is the same old establishment being put back in place. We will at some time take our country back from people that "speak with forked tongue". God bless the US citizens that have died for a day like January 20. Hopefully Obama will give credit to the people that gave their life, if not "pay back is hell". We talk that this is a great day but truly a great day is when a true American, Native American, will be President, not someone that is a guest and Obama is a guest as was Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan and on and on.

December 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  24. Helen

@ Dr Larry December 4th, 2008 7:58 pm ET

GET A LIFE AND DON'T STOPSHOWING YOUR JEALOUSLY.

YOU HAVE YOUR THRILLS AND OPRAH AND OTHERS WHO SUPPORT PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA HAS THERE.

YOU HAVE APPROPRIATELY 46 DAYS. (LAST COUNT) BUT START PRACTICING THESE WORDS: "YES, PRESIDENT OBAMA"

December 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  25. Hols

Point 1 – If you listen to what Oprah said – she did invite Palin to her show. Palin chose not to participate, not the other way around. No harm no foul. Oprah was being fair and balanced. Palin was exercising her right to select / chose her own next PR move.

Point 2 – If Oprah wants to call this 'there's never been a night like this on the planet' – she has a right to this opinion. And it's just an opinion -albeit one shared by many.

As for my own opinion – This specific inauguration is truly significant. Someone characterized it as a changing point in our country's history and culture. Couldn't agree more. I just hope the reality supports the expectation – and he's hitting it on all cylinders so far!!!

December 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |