December 4th, 2008
1 year ago

Has Palin snubbed Oprah?

Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.
Oprah says she wants Palin on her show.

(CNN) – Did Sarah Palin snub Oprah Winfrey?

That's what the most popular daytime talk show host and fervent Barack Obama supporter appeared to suggest in a recent interview with the entertainment show Extra.

"I said I would be happy to talk to Sarah Palin when the election was over... I went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me.”

Winfrey’s comments came in response to rumors she refused to invite the former vice presidential candidate on her popular daytime show.

Earlier this week, the talk show host announced she will tape her inauguration week show in the nation’s capital, and has rented the Kennedy Center’s lush Opera House – which seats roughly 2,300 — to serve as her studio.

“There are not even words to talk about what this night means,” Oprah said of Obama's inauguration. “Everybody keeps using the word historic — there’s never been a night like this on the planet earth… Nothing can compare to this.”

Filed under: Oprah Winfrey • Sarah Palin
  1. Richard A. Spomer

Opera, it’s historic because a black man has never won the most powerful seat in the United States of America. So for your wanting too glamorize this position is really egotism of your making!

Now let’s just support President-elect Obama, and not rationalize his responsibility to the power of the Presidency. What the President will want is the prayers and support of his cabinet and his family! So leave your Money machine in Chicago ware you came from OK... Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

Richard A. Spomer
    Alexandria, VA

December 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  2. Tim

Why is CNN trying to get me to choose between two very worthless people?

Sarah Palin is a nutjob fanatic and Oprah is full of herself. The world would be best served by BOTH of them going away

December 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  3. sharon

It amazes me that people like Oprah have such low self esteem when they talk about this inaguration as being the biggest even in the world's history.

What about landing on the moon? What about the invention of the computer that has literally changed the world?

I support this event. I think it is wonderful. I think it takes down all the cries of people saying they are discreminated against when you see the majority of the people vote in a black president. Maybe the black people didn't realize that most of us don't see color. We see talented, high achieving, diligent people who have worked to what they obtain.

It is not the most important event in the history of the universe. It is a change, for all of us and I hope that everyone appreciates that Obama has been elected by the people of the United States. We are all Americans, perhaps that is what we should call ourselves instead of African Americans, Black American, Native Americans. All of us are products of the old world, I am. But, I was raised by family from Italy, that I am an American.

December 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. rcf

I used to like Oprah until she jumped on the O's coat tails. Goodness, if I were Sarah I would steer clear of her too. The only thing she has on her show worth watching is the health advice. I wouldn't walk across the street for the 'event' in January – big deal. There are so many other important issues facing this world. I think both O's need to get their priorities straight in this life...

December 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. Joe Fattal

First of all what's so great about Oprah. She is a very rich black woman that's about it. As far as Palin, she should have been the turkey for someone on thanksgiving, and Van something should have been talking to a turkey. Both of them were as stupid as the man looking back with a smile beside that slaugther machine. Oprah now wants to join that inauguration party where a black man, or white who cares, unexperienced surrounded himself with very powerful people to do everything, probably take the blame while he sits in the oval office with a cigar in his hand. I think Obama should have hired Oprah as his entertainment secretary, and Palin as his cook.

December 4, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  6. Pat in IL

Please, CNN, go back to reporting NEWS. This kind of stuff is best left to the tabloids.

December 4, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  7. Cindy

Thats because Palin is scared of Oprah. Palin also hasnt been on Meet the Press. She can barely handle softball questions and doesnt want to be seen being grilled because she cant handle it. Proof she has no business has leader of the USA.

Im inspired by Obama. Im confident he will surely do a MUCH better job than Bush and clean up the mess the Republicans have put us in.

December 4, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  8. some guy

It is interesting how some people are up in arms like she is overlooking Jesus in place for Obama. It just shows that you obviously don't grasp the importance and significance of an African-American being elected for President. I'm not accusing those people of being racist Caucasian-Americans, however you must understand the excitement, vindication, and overall achievement the African-American community must feel about this event in our nations history. These comments some of you are making here are so vile and misinformed that one can only turn the other cheek.

For that guy who says he'll fly his flag half-mast on Obama's inauguration; you're just doing yourself and your nation a great disservice and dishonor. And don't even try to come at me about service and honor because I am a proud and decorated veteran of our great military. You should rethink your reasons for making such a comment, and anyone else making these nasty comments should take a second to really think; not because I 'worship' Obama like so many anti-Obama Americans wrongly accuse many pro-Obama Americans of doing, but because you simply don't understand, and aren't giving yourself a time to understand.

December 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  9. Lisa

Oprah is psychobabble?? NO, thats what Sarah Palin is. The woman cant speak a complete sentence to save her life!

December 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  10. Sue

Palin is yesterday news and an insult to intelligent, hard-workign women. Why would Oprah want to interview her ? I wouldnt be watching...that screech would give me a almighty migraine. My kids have better command of their English, verbally and written.

December 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  11. Amanda

Good for Sarah....no one care about Oprah anyways!

December 4, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  12. steve r. from Wash st.

Very simple : AFRAID OF TOUGH QUESTIONS

December 4, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  13. Ivan Sanchez

Sarah snubbed Oprah? I'm sure Oprah isn't loosing any sleep over it!
    Besides who in the hell is Sarah, she's nothing but a headache! Sarah needs to go back to Alaska and tend to her elected affiars instead of flying all over the country like a idiot!

December 4, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  14. sharon

Oh, it's me again.

I forgot to say that I voted for John McCain, I watch Fox news, I am an extreme right wing person, I am conservative and will always be, I go to church every Sunday, I believe in God.

I also teach my children and grandchildren that we respect the will of the people and we support what the majority have voted for.

We will watch closely, we hope that he succeeds, we will be pleased if he corrects the economy.

We need to come together as a nation. As I read some of the things that people have written I am ashamed of most of them. Remember a country divided can never succeed or endure.

Lets change our thinking and hope and pray that our country will come out of this catastrophe that has not just been caused by Republicans but by Democrats as well. Lets put our shoulders to the wheel and recapture what our forefathers fought and died for and what our young men are dying for right now.

FREEDOM

December 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  15. why in the world would oprah want palin

RATINGS people that is why OPRAH wants palin...good for you palin...DON'T GO.......

December 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  16. Jeff

You have got to be kidding me? The biggest event ever on the planet earth...come on.

December 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  17. Susan - Canada

Can you imagine, a whole hour? Palin would really come across as an even bigger idiot than she already is. And people, get over yourselves, Palin isn't snubbing Oprah, she's avoiding her and I'm sure is quite afraid to sit down with Oprah for a whole hour. But then, she is so full of herself...she seems to think everyone loves her. Especially now, .after that guy winning after she gave a speech (forget his name). Even CNN had a article saying something to the effect, that the race was close, till she came and stumped for him, then he won the election. Boy, can you imagine how big her head must be.

December 4, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  18. TiZ

"Does that mean Oprah Winfrey does not believe in the existance of Jesus Christ on planet earth? or is the inauguration of Obama more important than the birth and death of Jesus Christ here on planet earth?"

I am not an Obama supporter but his inauguration is more important than the birth and death of a character in book that should be shelved in the fiction section of your local library.

December 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  19. Tom

Sarah Palin is a falling star. Oprah's been the most powerful woman in the world for how long now? Sarah Palin is the next Geraldine Ferraro!

December 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  20. Texas

For those of you who are calling Oprah fat, you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Stop being a hater. You wish you were a billionaire who has as much influence as Oprah does.

Let's embrace change. Contribute something intelligent and added value to the world. Stop the hatred and the ignorance.

December 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  21. Lewman

This isn't about Oprah. Palin's refusal to go on Oprah is nothing more than Palin playing base politics. Most Evangelicals, which are a huge part of the Republican base, abhor Oprah and her New Age religious views. Many Evangelical refer to Oprah as a "goddess" in a very perjorative sense. IMHO it would not sit well with Palin's Evangelical base for her to gop on Oprah. Palin is smart enough and politically savvy enough to avoid that mistake.

December 4, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  22. Richard L. Shearn

I have to respond to CARYLIE....You are a sick twisted individual. Thank GOD you'll be the last generation of senseless hated like that you utter. Maybe you should find another country.

December 4, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. Jeff

and, Angie, why are you so angry?

December 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  24. Denise Groves

Oprah, be thankful. She is an airhead

December 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Dan, FL

Oprah is a show-off. She is making money out of American people. Why should Sarah Palin meet her. Oprah is nobody.

December 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |