December 4th, 2008

Hutchison move sets up possible Texas primary fight

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison launched an exploratory committee Thursday for a 2010 gubernatorial run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Republican Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison took steps Thursday to run for governor in 2010, a move that could set up a fierce primary battle with the state's current governor.

"Texans deserve a Governor who, in the context of sound budgetary policies and low taxes, works for quality schools and universities, access to health care for our families, communities safe from crime and drugs, protection of private property rights, sensible transportation and a government that listens and responds to them," Hutchison said in a paper statement. "There's too much bitterness, too much anger, too little trust, too little consensus and too much infighting. And the tone comes from the top. Texans are looking for leadership and results."

Governor Rick Perry said in April he would run for a third term.

Papers to form Hutchison's exploratory committee were filed Thursday in Austin. In her statement, the Texas senior senator stressed she was "not yet a candidate" as there were "friends, community and business leaders" that she wanted to consult with before formally announcing her candidacy. Hutchison, who was re-elected to her Senate seat in 2006, did not indicate whether or not she would resign should she pursue a gubernatorial bid.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Texas
  1. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Kay Bailey Hutchison – One phony following a pair, Bush & Perry!!!

December 4, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  2. Barbara in NC

No more republican governors. TX is already outsourced to Mexico. Put someone in there that will designate English as the ONLY language. When applying for a job in TX, most require the applicant to be bi-lingual. NO MORE

December 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  3. DebM, Allentown, PA

An intelligent, conservative woman. Maybe if McCain had picked her instead of the dimwit from Wasilla, he could have won the White House. Have to thank Steve Schmidt and Rick Davis for that great pick. I can only imagine what McCain and Palin would be doing right now if they had won.

December 4, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. Gaylon Barrow

Go for it Kay. Let's get rid of this Gov. Bush-Perry once and for all.

December 4, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  5. Adam Smith TX, USA

Good for Texas. We deserve a hardworking Governor like Hutchingson!

December 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. Michael, Houston Texas

Hey Repub party.......................This is who you should have chose for VP if you had to have a woman. Senator Hutchison, if you run for Govenor, you got my vote, and I am registered independent leaning liberal. McCain more than likely would have won if he chose Senator Hutchison, rather than that brainless eye winking, moose hunting, joke of a person they call Palin. I really like this woman, I like what she has done, what she stands for and her vision.

December 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  7. James

While I am not a republican, I really do hope someone knocks off Rick Perry. He so needs to go

December 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. Lost in Texas FOREVER

as a person who lives in the state of Texas, the only word I have for this is YUCK!! If I had to have a choice though I'd stick with Perry, to me Kay Bailey is Tom Delay in a dress!

December 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. I like hope

I like to read Hutchison's points as listed inthis article. It sounds like less fear and hate and more hope and change. Hmmmmm...

December 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  10. Rick - Not Perry

10 years is enough for any governor in any state. Rick Perry has been governor since replacing George Bush in 2000. It's just time for a change.

December 4, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. chuck

They're fighting among themselves.

December 4, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. SAGG

(Rubs hands together) This should be GOOD (for Dems, that is). Let 'em slug it out to the bitter end.....

December 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. Tommy Tiger

Hutchinson is just another Republican criminal. She is going to benefit financially from this move somehow. She really has no credibility and one should not believe anything she says. Neither does Perry

December 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Thomas

Kay Bailey Hutchison,

" BIMBO "

BUSH BIMBO

Maybe there's a place for her at GM recycling Hummers !

December 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. Tommy Tiger

December 4, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  16. Rodney Lester

Gov. Perry only won with 39% of the vote in his last election. Does he really want to risk it again? Senator Hutchison will walk all over him. Better yet, we'll get a democratic governor.

December 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. KC

Please do run Senator....we need you! I can't stand that "good ole boy" we've had in office for 8 years. I have been a supporter of the Senator for years and look forward to her win in 2010.

December 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Robert

This is who McCain SHOULD have picked for VP. I'm a Democrat, and an Obama supporter, but I think a McCain-Hutchinson ticket would have done much better than with Palin, and I have a lot more respect for the abilities of Hutchinson than for Palin.

December 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  19. energy

She should get out of Senate so that we can present a Texas Republican Obama, who can then challenge the Democrats in 2012. If not, there is George P. Bush, the Hispanic son of Jeb Bush. We need real leadership and another Bush up there. At least we can take a Bush anytime before a Kennedy or Clinton?

December 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  20. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Well, this doesn't make too much sense unless she thinks Rick Perry is making her beloved Texas into a dump.

December 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  21. cmatter

please run...this texas democrat would vote for you

December 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. G.R.I.T.S. - Girl Raised in the South

As a life-long (now former) Texan, I can say with some authority that Rick Perry is an idiot. Kay Bailey, on the other hand, is not an idiot, but she is a Republican. As a democrat, I kinda like Kay. Not a lot, mind you, just kinda. I grew up with this woman as a Senator and she does okay. If Texas can't have a Dem governor, such as Ann Richards, then Kay wouldn't be too bad. Better than Perry who just loves selling Texas to Mexico.

December 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Peter (CA)

Wow! It's nice to see that the Republicans are after each other instead of the Democrats but I must say I am surprised by all this.

Maybe 2010 will be a good year for us also.

December 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I can't wait to see that fight. Would George W. Bush campaign for either one? Perry was his LT gov while his middle name is Woman (so says his mother and who would know better) which Hutchinson is... So many things to wonder over for this. I hope they spend all the money get and don't get any more to run against anyone come the fall election.

December 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  25. Tom ....... Texas

There is no difference between Hutchinson and Gov. Goodhair (Perry). Niether one of these clowns are true conservatives, I'll vote for the first person to seal the Border.....put the National Guard down there – do something – you can't even get into a emergency room in Houston because they are full of ILLEGALS.

December 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |