December 4th, 2008

Hutchison move sets up possible Texas primary fight

Texas Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison launched an exploratory committee Thursday for a 2010 gubernatorial run.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Texas Republican Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison took steps Thursday to run for governor in 2010, a move that could set up a fierce primary battle with the state's current governor.

"Texans deserve a Governor who, in the context of sound budgetary policies and low taxes, works for quality schools and universities, access to health care for our families, communities safe from crime and drugs, protection of private property rights, sensible transportation and a government that listens and responds to them," Hutchison said in a paper statement. "There's too much bitterness, too much anger, too little trust, too little consensus and too much infighting. And the tone comes from the top. Texans are looking for leadership and results."

Governor Rick Perry said in April he would run for a third term.

Papers to form Hutchison's exploratory committee were filed Thursday in Austin. In her statement, the Texas senior senator stressed she was "not yet a candidate" as there were "friends, community and business leaders" that she wanted to consult with before formally announcing her candidacy. Hutchison, who was re-elected to her Senate seat in 2006, did not indicate whether or not she would resign should she pursue a gubernatorial bid.

Filed under: Kay Bailey Hutchison • Texas
  1. Amber in Orlando

Why do you print sexist comments like Thomas' ? CNN....come on! you fuel the patriarchy in this country!!!

December 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Matt

And may the smarter Republican win...if there is such a thing...

December 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  3. Dee Dee Lynn

You go Kay. I am a Democrat, but you might get my vote. Governor "Good Hair" Perry certainly won't.

December 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  4. bill

who the hell cares cnn.what goes on in texas.THEY WILL SOON GET THEIR FAVORITE SON BACK.DONT WANT TO SEE HEAR FROM THESE TEXAS FOOLS ITS OVER THANK GOD.

December 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. Mickie

She says there is too much bitterness - and just what does she think she is spreading? It seems to me the republicans are still spreading a lot of bitterness both at their own members as well as against the democrats. They are the GOP "Gloomy, Opressive, Politics"!

December 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  6. Gordon

Here's an interesting fact: if Hutchison resigns to run, Perry appoints here successor in the Senate. If she defeats Perry, he'll be able to appoint her successor. Not that it makes any difference who makes the appointment, it'll be another stonewalling Republican either way, but it is something I doubt happens very often.

December 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  7. SAGG

Rick – Not Perry December 4th, 2008 1:19 pm ET

10 years is enough for any governor in any state. Rick Perry has been governor since replacing George Bush in 2000. It's just time for a change.
    --------

I don't get it. Why doesn't your state have term limits for the governor, like my state of NC does? Then there'd be no question.

December 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. Jack in cali

I think Kinky should give it a shot again! I voted for him when I was back in Texas during the last race.

December 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. walter

Remember – she went against her constituents and voted for the bailout. How could you ever want someone as governor who doesn't listen to their constituents????

December 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Rush Lameduck

Shes another Republican lapdog,all for big business and crap on the working people of this country.

December 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  11. Mary, Houston, Texas

While it's definitely time for Perry to move on, Hutchison is NOT the Republican to take his place. She voted for the bailout and has done little to help the state. Just because she's a Republican female, doesn't mean she's "the one" for the job. While I am, technically, NOT a Democrat, I vote for the PERSON and his/her ability, NOT the party!

December 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  12. sol

If McCain had picked Hutchison he would have alienated the conservative base of the GOP. He would not have made up in liberal votes the conservative votes he would have lost. Hutchison in the Governor's Mansion is about a close as liberals as going to get, since Democrats are virtually unelectable at this point. I don't see why she would want to downgrade, since Governor of Texas is not a particularly powerful office.

December 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. J.Crobuzon

Trouble among thieves, is it?

December 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. Retired Army in San Antonio

Lost in Texas FOREVER December 4th, 2008 1:18 pm ET

as a person who lives in the state of Texas, the only word I have for this is YUCK!! If I had to have a choice though I'd stick with Perry, to me Kay Bailey is Tom Delay in a dress!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Personally, I'd rather see her as governor than have another Perry term. What a do-nothing governor!

Then again, I don't really like Hutchinson either......but it's time for perry to hit the road!!!

December 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. joyce

This Texan wouldn't vote for her. She is another crooked politician.

December 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. david

Seems she stands for the vague broad generalities that the rest of te Republicans stand for. None of which work.

December 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  17. Retired Army in San Antonio

sol December 4th, 2008 1:43 pm ET

............I don't see why she would want to downgrade, since Governor of Texas is not a particularly powerful office.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps being a Governor isn't all that 'powerful' (at least outside the state) but it's powerful enough that she'll be selecting her senatorial replacement........

December 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  18. Joey

Some of you people leaving nasty comments are haters. Seriously, this is a news article. Maybe the least you can do is act smart and actually talk about the articles topic instead of your lame comments on how you feel about the person or the party. This country is seriously falling apart....

I think that Rick Perry should definitely go. He has done nothing but divide in Texas with stamping the hard hammer of Republican dominance in the state to get his way. I am a Republican but I think there needs to be open and compromising debate to get things done. Sen. Hutchison is a smart woman who will represent and work for the people well without having to much of a personal or political agenda. Sure she is a solid Republican but not so much so that she doesn't represent the majority of Texans well. Just as Obama does the majority of Americans right now.

December 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Philip

One of the best quality of a good leader is listining, understanding and responding to the people's wishes regardless of their differences in ideas. I can asure you that Senator Hutchison has those qualities. If you write to her just about anyting you could have understand that has does response quickly with very good understanding.

December 4, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  20. Jeff

Oh the hatred and nastiness that you "holier than thou" democrat spread. Your nastiness and the way your have treated the President of the United States for the past 8 years will "come home to roost". President-elect Obama better be ready for the hatred he stirred up so readily during the election!

Republican says bimbo = hate crime.
    Democrat says bimbo = informed and logical description!

What a joke!

December 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. Kathy_in_Indiana

Who cares. I think they should give Texas back to Mexico.

December 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Amy, Houston, TX

I agree with "Michael, Houston,Tx" and "Dee Dee Lynn" – Perry has to go, and Kay is the one who can get this state back on its feet! I don't call myself Republican, but I will definately give her my support!

You go girl!!

December 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  23. President Obama/VA

Division in the ranks. I love it.

December 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. boered1

Interesting idea.. and a rather smart move.. say she wins in 2010 and does a reasonable job, which I suspect she might.. than in 2016, with 6 years experiance as Governor and years of experiance in the Congress she can run for President.. and possibly win she would gain ALOT of independant support and possibly pull over some democrats (depending on who runs for the dems then).
    Like I said a smart plan and a good one.. based on the results of this years presidential campaign in Texas it is possible a more left leaning governor has a good chance of winning.

December 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Peggy - TX

Even in a state that leans heavily Republican, Perry only won with around 30% of the vote and then only because he had a fairly strong grandma running as an independent and Kinky who together took a big chunk of the votes. In Texas the Office, of Governor is weak, so Key who is weak politician is actually a good fit. Very few strong females in the Republican Party. With the exception of bird-brain-Palin, all the female Republicans are yawners. They are generally pretty faces lacking strong intelligence, lacking vision and are rearly very effective once elected.

December 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |