December 4th, 2008

Obama team plans grassroots meetings for next weekend

Obama supporters are urged to gather next weekend.
Obama supporters are urged to gather next weekend.

(CNN) - As the pieces of Barack Obama’s White House organization begin to fall into place, so are the ways he plans to re-tool his campaign infrastructure to help support his presidential efforts.

Obama campaign manager David Plouffe sent the president-elect’s campaign supporters an e-mail this week calling on them to gather for house meetings on December 13 and 14 to organize their support for the president-elect’s agenda, more than a month before he’s sworn in.

“You can connect with fellow supporters, make progress on the issues you care about, and help shape the future of your community and our country,” wrote Plouffe. “Learn what you can do now to support President-elect Obama's agenda for change and continue to make a difference in your community.”

The message contains a link to Obama’s Web site, where supporters can list their event and access a swarm of documents and suggestions, including a host guide; a “Plan for Change Form” to guide discussion; and more than a dozen flyers plugging Obama’s stands on the issues, along with a directive to limit flyers for any event to 500 or fewer to avoid having to register with the Federal Election Commission.

A sign-in sheet is included to record the names and contact information of all attendees, with instructions to upload the contents to the Web site or mail it in for addition to the massive database of campaign contact info.

The sample schedule is divided into discrete time segments: the suggested time frame for “Welcome from Host” is five minutes, with a bulleted breakdown of what this welcome should include. Supporters are encouraged to plan service events, develop partnerships with local organizations, schools and churches – and reach out to local media outlets.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. The Lady

I really like how Obama team is engaging the people to help our country get back on their feet. Good Job Mr. Plouffe.

December 4, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. Arkansas4Obama

I am SOOO excited!!!

I am hosting one in Little Rock, and already 25 people have signed up.

People here are ready to help make Pres. Obama's Admin a sucess.

He WILL be the BEST President EVER!!!!

HOPE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 4, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  3. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

WE'RE ALL GOING TO THE WHITE HOUSE !!!!

HOW SWEEEEET IS THAT !!!!

NO ONE WILL DROWN OUR VOICES, IN FACT OUR

NEW PRESIDENT WANTS TO HEAR FROM US, US, AIN'T THAT A KICK.

LETS ROLL UP OUR SLEEVES & GO TO WORK AMERICA.

December 4, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  4. G.R.I.T.S - Girl Raised in the South

This administration's techno savvy is awesome! I just got my "house meeting" e-mail and the idea is great. I plan on participating. It will really provide a way to connect with others in my community to address the issues that affect us right here, where we live. Just another in a line of great ideas from the new administration!

December 4, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  5. The Rector

So where will the investment bankers and the big three auto makers be sitting? I just want to be close to those guys, because they will be getting all the attention, not to mention all the money. Just get on with the rape of the american people and quit all the smoke and mirrors crap already, nobody with any brains is buying it. Obama is a puppet just like W was a puppet and Clinton was a puppet.....etc. etc

December 4, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. Dan, FL

So far Obama is just a spectator. Of course he is not yet president but his economic team has nothing to say when Dow goes up and down every day in triple digits. It shows uncertainty in the market with Obama's election. Nobody has any idea about Obama and he has no experience at all. It is too risky for our country.

December 4, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Linda

Does this mean that Obama is in process of organizing our communities? Are you telling us that the President will be involved in community organization? This cannot be so. This is not believable. Who ever heard of a president organizing the community to support and promote programs and community development? This is not change we expected or could believe in. But it sure is the most important change needed.

December 4, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  8. 3strikes

nobamas change = more of the same, how can over 65million believe that.

December 4, 2008 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  9. chris @ stl

This is a great idea. This is how you empower people and have voices heard .... may be .... may be ... this kind of movement will put an end to the circus going on in DC. I'm sick of partisan bickering, congressional hearings that are theatrical and borderline idiotic, etc.

I just signed up for one!

December 4, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  10. anonymous

huh. you mean "Clintons' White House organization". these are all the old people from before bush. this isn't "change we need". this is just the last 8 years before the last 8 years.

December 4, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  11. Reality

Oh, and send us more money. The campaign that bought the Presidency needs more of your monetary support. Redistribute!

December 4, 2008 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  12. Michael-Ventura,CA

Ye we CAN continue to work for our Nation and our new President! American headed the correct direction on November 4th! (To all the haters who would say the direction is far left- I say-get over yourselves)
    The response locally to the meeting on the 14th is overwhelming!
    We're here for you Barack- and we'll make sure you know it!

December 4, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  13. MA

This new majority rule is certainly going to last a century!

December 5, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  14. Los

Will there be punch and cookies?

December 5, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  15. southernhrt

I am waiting for the "You elected him" that I can say to Obama supporters when we are attached soon again. Hindsight is always 20/20 as they say. I am totally convinced that within a year this country will be wishing their president would protect us. Bush's legacy will only come through as positive with time. People are comparing Obama to Lincoln but he was only considered great with time. If you have never been to the Lincoln memorial everyone should. I have been there many times as I am from Va. It gives me goosebumps everytime. But Lincoln was a very Godly man and prayed about every decision he made. I believe Bush has done that. Have serious doubts about Obama.

December 5, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  16. Vy, California

WOW it's truly a new day...:)

December 5, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  17. Concerned Democrat

I was glad to help out during the campaign......however, the continued emails and requests for money AFTER the election are starting to get tiresome.

The emails are starting to feel creepy....very similar to PROPAGANDA.

Please STOP before you start to lose your supporters.

December 5, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  18. Nevada Independant

Okay, I am a TOTAL Obama supporter, but I feel very conflicted about this.
    I do really agree with most of his policies and I am all for education of the public. But, I think it is a little much to have our future President ask supporters to gather up information about guests to their home to include in his database. And, that's really the point of all this, right? To build up their database so they can continue to contact us?
    When he was a candidate, it was okay with me. It was a voluntary exchange of information to a campaign I wanted to be involved with.
    Now that he'll be President, when he wants to gather up information about people, it feels different. There is a line there.
    Bush went way over the line. I hope my new President will respect that boundary.

December 5, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  19. J.V.Hodgson

If this is not some kind of change in governance then I do not know what is?
    It may lead to thousands of disparate opinions but occasionally they will hit the button in a way no-one else thought of and therefore be useful.
    Reminds me of the famous story of the Truck stuck under a low bridge and all the local experts police, fire brigade, engineers turned up and 5 hours later the truck is still stuck. The the village idiot walks by and casually says to the police chief why dont you let the tires down.
    5 minutes later problem solved..
    I call it the KISS technique ( keep it simple stupid! )Or common sense. = Do something for now, but keep it simple and expand on it later if needed.
    Regards,
    Hodgson

December 5, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  20. Nevada Independant

In addition to my last comment, I am also concerned that this may seen like a total propeganda war on the public.
    It really is a good thing for people to know the facts and then come up with their own opinions. When your future President provides all of the talking points for your party in support of him... yikes!

Don't worry, Obama! We are fired up! We are ready to go! We will fulfill our end of the bargain... we don't need you to shape how we'll participate now. That's not democracy.

December 5, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  21. mike

why should she? Oprah isnt a news show, its a show for people who have trouble thinking for themselves.

December 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  22. aware

Community organizer a la Alinsky! :(

December 5, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  23. steve r. from Wash st.

What a great way to promote "positive change" through [ the people ]that want it the most. As they organize, Momentum will soon take over as we get our economy going again. ANYBODY WITH US ? :)

December 5, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  24. Wes

I voted Obama and believed... before his picks of Geithner and Volcker for Sec. Treasury and economic advisor, respectively. I would advise the public to educate themselves about debt based money creation. Two books with similar cause and effect but opposing views on solutions are "Web of Debt" by Ellen Hodgson Brown and "Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin. Do yourself a favor. Please read.

December 5, 2008 03:25 am at 3:25 am |