December 5th, 2008

Ann Romney diagnosed with noninvasive breast cancer

Mitt Romney’s wife Ann has been diagnosed with the most common form of noninvasive breast cancer.

(CNN) – Ann Romney, the wife of GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, released a statement Friday morning saying that she has been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma in sutu, the most common form of noninvasive breast cancer in women.

“Last week, following my annual mammogram at Brigham and Women's Hospital, I was diagnosed with Ductal Carcinoma In Sutu (DCIS),” Romney says in the statement. “While this is commonly referred to as early stage breast cancer, it is technically not cancer but rather pre-cancer, as it has not become invasive.”

“Today, I have had a lumpectomy. This procedure does not require hospitalization. Mitt and I feel fortunate to have caught this so early. And, it reminds us how important it is for women to have regular mammograms.”

The Mayo Clinic says that DCIS is considered to be a “preinvasive” condition, and “the most common type of noninvasive breast cancer.”

The clinic’s Web site adds that the condition isn’t life-threatening, but that without treatment, DCIS could become invasive breast cancer.

Romney was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1998, and has said that she combines traditional treatment with alternative treatments like horse riding to keep the disease at bay.

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Shari, NY

Fortunately, this was caught early. Best wishes!

December 5, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. Ex-Republican

I don't much care for thier politics, or more accurately her husbands. And I can say I'm very relieved that he did not make it into the General Election.

But I do sincerely extend my prayers and best wishes to the Romney family this holiday season. May your spiritual beliefs and your families moral support bring you through this situation in better spirits and better help.

December 5, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. chuck

Blame the health of the Republicans on the the job of George Bush. Horrible and Disgraceful which has sent every American to their respective doctors. A new life starts on January 20,2009.

December 5, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. CanIcallyouJoe

You mean the magical secret Mormon underwear doesn't prevent disease?!?

No, but seriously, cancer is a horrible horrible thing and something I have personally witnessed break a human being down. She should now get some after-drugs and keep an eye on the area so it doesn't come back or rear it's head after she thinks it's completely gone.

December 5, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. wait a minute

I wish Mrs. Ann Romney the best. Her husband did a great thing for the MA residents, which is the Common Wealth Health Care program. So everyone is covered. God bless the Romney's!

December 5, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  6. chad in avery, ca.

i hope mitt dont pull a john edwards!

December 5, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  7. Vegas Barbie for Obama

I hope for the best for Mrs. Romney, but can't get over the fact that Mitt still has that plastic smile on his face in the background. Is this a pic of her discussing her illness or of her when she was campaigning for him? If it is the former, then you could at least show some concern on your mitt, Mitt.

December 5, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  8. DJR

Now Thats good news!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  9. Phil in KC

I'm not a big Romney fan, but I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone. I'm glad they caught it early and I hope she suffers no further ill effects from this disease.

December 5, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  10. Barackus Obamus Magnus

My prayers go out to Ann, Mitt, and the Romney family. Mitt Romney may have his faults (his flip-flopping on well, everything), but in the end, they are decent human beings who deserve respect. I expect my fellow liberals and conservatives to be tactful when responding to this issue.

December 5, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  11. jacob

i wish ann and mitt to get out well of this condition, and only know happy moments

December 5, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Sam

My prayers are with Ann Romney as she undergoes her treatment. I am glad that it was detected early and her prognosis is good.

December 5, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  13. Anthony

Gob bless Mrs. Romney...wish you all the best...

December 5, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. Matt

I'm not a big fan of the Stormin' Mormon and it's sad and all that she's got the BC, but c'mon, when are we going to stop pretending that Brangelina's political opinion is more sound or important that someone else's or that some celebrity's bewbs are more important than someone else's? It's ridiculous. Do you write an article for every woman who gets the BC? No. Do you write an article for every person with an opinion? What makes us different? OOOOOH YEAH, I FORGOT...MONEY. Eff off.

December 5, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  15. Steve

I'm not a fan of Mitt, to put it mildly. Still, I wish Mrs. Romney nothing but the best. She's been very brave in dealing with her past problems.

December 5, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |