December 5th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy to take Clinton's seat?

Caroline Kennedy's name is being talked about for Clinton's senate seat.
Caroline Kennedy's name is being talked about for Clinton's senate seat.

(CNN) - Could Caroline Kennedy, considered to be among the most private members of the Kennedy clan, be tapped to fill Hillary Clinton's Senate seat?

Kennedy - who endorsed Barack Obama in February before the Super Tuesday round of primaries - is said to be considering the possibility, according to an ABC News report.

New York Gov. David Paterson, the man tasked with picking Hillary Clinton's successor, is remaining mum on the process, but a spokesman for Barack Obama issued a statement in the wake of rumors the president-elect is quietly lobbying Patterson to choose Kennedy.

"President-elect Obama has a very high regard for Caroline Kennedy," said Obama spokesman Stephanie Cutter. "But he has not spoken with Governor Paterson or Caroline Kennedy about the race, and has no involvement in this process."

Earlier, similar rumors circulated that former President Bill Clinton might be interested in the job, but the former president's office quickly released a statement saying he was not interested.

Caroline Kennedy's cousin, Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., was also discussed as a potential successor, but formally took his name out of the running earlier this week.

Paterson still has a strong bench to choose from. There are a number of contenders, including several members of New York's delegation in the House of Representatives, New York State Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown, Bronx Borough President Adolfo Carrion, and Nassau County Executive Thomas Suozzi.

Whoever is chosen would have to be ready for virtually non-stop campaigning and fundraising over the next four years. Clinton's successor will face a hotly-contested campaign in 2010 to fill out the remainder of her term, then a re-election bid jut two years later.

1. sjf

Kennedy is a graduate of both Harvard University and Columbia Law School. She is an adviser to the Harvard Institute of Politics....to name just a few qualifications.

December 5, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  2. Brian, NJ

Is she qualified? She's over 30 so under the constitution...yes.

If the citizens of NY think otherwise they can vote for someone else in 2010.

December 5, 2008 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  3. jovana

I am a democrat and admired her dad JFK – BUT Caroline has avoided the political arena all of her adult life until after the death of her brother and recently the illness of her uncle Ted. So my question would be what experience does she have? None is my answer. Would she have been elected by the people, I doubt it. So my feeling is that she is not qualified and someone else should be chosen to be the senator from New York. If Caroline wants the position she can run for it in the next election.

December 5, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Bill Edgar

Larry
    I have had 3 family members die tragically. Do I deserve it more? or should we base it on something trite like qualification?

Bill
    Ohio

December 5, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Bob

Why is it the Kennedy family just will not go away. Sure Ted is a good senator but look at his personal life. What a mess. There are way too many of them and they don't have the brains or the work ethic to handle any job. They leave all the work to the hired hands.

December 5, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. hugh ~ california

I'm afraid some nut would try to kill her. There's enough Kennedy haters right here on this blog. It only takes one nut-ball out there with a gun who hates anything Kennedy. I hope she decides not too take the position, then all you Kennedy haters can just shut–the you know what–up.

December 5, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  7. Lorna, NY

She would be perfect for the job! She should go for it!

December 5, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  8. Raeford NC

What difference does it make, just another liberal cut from the same cloth. Heck, throw Al Franken in there.

December 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Republicrat

That's just what we need another senator that will be crying over poor "Teddy, Teddy, I love you Teddy" (R.Byrd) ..........We need to flush the toilet in Washington not add more waste...........WOLVERINES!!! Are ya with me folks.

December 5, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  10. California Gold

Well I don't think anyone "deserves" to be a member of Congress and I understand the sentimentality Caroline Kennedy evokes. Whether or not she is interested in national politics is a different matter.

"Francie" who has no idea what Caroline Kennedy's adult life, public service, philanthropic involvements and interests are you might try "google" to get up to speed before admitting to all that you live in a bubble.

December 5, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  11. Deborah Marinelli

I so appreciate her work in improving public schools. It's been quiet, efective, and has changed some young lives. Great pick.

December 5, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. DOMINICK

her family comes first w/her..she's great super smart..but may not want to leave New York City ...she will work, support in another capacity...

December 5, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  13. Michael Shea

I am a Kennedy loyalist. I worked on the campaigns of Jack, Bobby and Ted.

Despite some of their personal transgressions, they have all been magnificent leaders . They along with their children fight for the forgotten man and woman.

I would support Caroline or Bobby Kennedy Jr. in a river minute. Both of them have made their own mark for mankind. Neither of them are knee-jerk liberals. They use common sense and try to reach concensus on important issues, much like Barrack Obama.

The Kennedy family has paid the price and bear the burden of giving the ultimate price, their lives for our country.

I don't want Andrew Cuomo. He's another Clintonista. If I have one criticism of Barack Obama whom I have supported since the primaries began, he has hired too many Clintonistas to his cabinet. I beleive they caould serve as temporary paid consultants. Obama should hire people independent of the Clintons including Secretary of State.

December 5, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  14. Sara from Arizona

None of these people have an leadership abilities. Gone are the days when we had true leaders. The Founding Fathers are rolling in their graves.

December 5, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  15. Last Honest man

What a joke our Congress and Senate has become.Some of the most unqualified people I have ever seen. A Male Senator dies....the answer is let his wife finish his term. I mean I know the people in Minnesota are idiots (Ventura/Franken), but come on folks wake up. WAKE UP!!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  16. Jay

Is she a resident of NY? Just one of things that many of the supporters of this seem to overlook. NOw I know this migh be news to some poeple out there, but this hingy called the CONSTITUTION states taht Senators must in fact be residents of the states they represent. What a quaint idea.

December 5, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  17. Donna Cunningham

dkc
    The public knows little about her. She's a very strong person, very well educated, has written a book and knows how our government works. To compare her to Gov. Palin is the ultimate insult !!

December 5, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Didn't grow up during the Kennedy era but I'd like if they gave that seat to a woman.

December 5, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. Caroline Sunshine

i hope she goes for it. shes smart, savvy and would be a success at anything she did. lets face it. bush had 8 years in the same job and would have been canned at my company. so lets NOT talk experience folks.

December 5, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  20. Support Caroline

Many that have commented here seem to not have a clue as to the woman Caroline Kennedy has become IN SPITE of her name. She has 3 children; she has been married TO THE SAME GUY for decades, she is an attorney and she has written 'In Our Defense', our bill of rights in action; she's a very inteligent woman and has been through hell with her family's legacy. I think she's the PERFECT choice for Hillary's seat. If she wants it.

December 5, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  21. Jinny Lee

I'm fond of Caroline Kennedy....but let's not go overboard here.

December 5, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  22. ericc39

Hasn't this family parasitized and lived off the american people enough already!

December 5, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  23. lilacs

what qualifies anyone to be a senator or even president? Caroline has be around politics all her life and most likely knows more than sara palin and jeb bush combined!

December 5, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  24. k miller

YES PLEASE !

December 5, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  25. dolores from NJ

I think she would be perfect..it's up to her....if she wants to fly to Wash dc from NYC ev day..she has 3 children & a husband...so am sure they are her priority ...she is intelligent...she will know what to do..I think she is signing books @ Macy's this wk for a few hrs..wish I was there...

December 5, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |