December 5th, 2008

More spending on Palin revealed

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican National Committee's total fashion bill for Sarah Palin's nine-week stint on the GOP presidential ticket is in: $180,000.

That's $30,000 more than the RNC previously disclosed it had spent outfitting and styling the Alaska governor and her family, according to Politico and the RNC's latest filings with the Federal Elections Commission.

The latest filing, which includes the final 3 weeks of the presidential race, shows the committee directed close to $55,000 to Palin's fashion stylist, New York-based Lisa Kline.

The RNC also spent close to $24,000 in several high end stores, including Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Target, and Victoria's Secret.

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign paid a total of $110,000 on Palin's traveling hair and makeup stylists, according to the New York Times and the McCain campaign's latest FEC filing.

News surfaced shortly before Election Day that Republicans had shelled out more than $150,00 on Palin and her family in clothing costs - a revelation that posed an unnecessary distraction for the struggling McCain campaign, and undercut Palin's hockey-mom credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Nancy Levis

I am concerned about the off-the-rack from JC Penny's that Ms Barack chose to wear. The are not becoming or official enough for a person in her position.

December 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  2. rm

I am probably the biggest Palin critic up here but this wardrobe obsession is ridiculous. She needed the clothes to dress her up and make her look great in hopes that no one would focus on her lack of substance...... CNN please give these stories a rest. You are a half step above Entertainment tonight at this point. These repeat stories along with Campbell Brown's temper tantrums labeled commentaries are really child like.

December 5, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  3. June

I am tired of her continous coverage. She is not doing the country any good at all. I am sad that she claims herself a Christian yet her characters do not reflect this at all.

December 5, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  4. Stephanie

wow, no telling WHAT she looks like underneath all that caked on makeup!! Hahahaha..

December 5, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  5. Kelly

All I know is I wouldn't want her charitable clothing contributions if they came from Victoria's Secret. Who knows where those items have been!

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  6. Connie

All I can say is "Thank God this bimbo didn't become VP!

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  7. mary

The point is she used the RNC to get goodies for herself and the first dude and the kids just like she does in Alaska by all accounts. The important thing is that her life in politics needs to be scrutinized as all others are. When that happens her constant "GIMME" attitude will show through. Troopergate was nothing. The construction company that built her home ( for how much??) got the contract for a 12 million dollar ice rink complex in the thriving metropolis of Wasilla. And travel for the kids and on and on. That is who she is a little hick who tries to get whatever she can out of the government for nothing, can you say Ted Stevens

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  8. Candace

My God. I'd love to see any one of you walk a day in her shoes and run a state and live under the scrutiny that she did/does– I bet that many of you wouldn't fare much better. How many of you have a college degree? How many of you are in debt? How dare you judge her. How dare you make generalizations about Republicans. You are all so full of hate - how sad, especially at this time of year.

According to you, I'm a moron, a lunatic, a war monger, filthy rich. Well, my moron, lunatic, war monger and filthy rich father has done two tours in Iraq to keep you people safe. He missed my high school graduation fighting for our country; the ONLY reason he came home was we found out my brothers had cancer and my brothers and I couldn't juggle the demands of college & high school to take her to treatments. If it wasn't for that, he would have missed my college graduation fighting for our country. Now, please, tell me that I'm a moron, filthy rich lunatic war monger just because I'm a Republican and that I have values.

You all disgust me.

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Has she actually been governoring? These republicans are sinking very low. They have actually no one worth while, and smart to run! Palin has to learn so much more before she hit the stage. Maybe, going back to school for a higher degree.

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  10. snash

I'm waiting for Sarah to place the Victoria's Secret underwear on e-Bay ! I hope she and a moose model the underwear.

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  11. VETS4Obama

What a joke! Can anyone SERIOUSLY like this ignorant, lying, hate spewing, power abusing, clothes grabbing moron? PLEASE go back to your igloo in Alaska and stay there!!! If the repugnantcan base likes her is certainly says a LOT about the base! Then again, they are mainly anti-intelligence, narrow minded, holier than thou, dividers as well!

December 5, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  12. My2Cents

FYI: Obama and Biden used their own clothes; they already owned "decent" clothing.

Palin's clothes did not meet the GOP's expectations; in other words, she did not dress well enough, do they had to literally bring her "bring her up to par".

December 5, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  13. Moose & Wolf.

Palin still looked like a middle aged woman, despite the 180,000.00 spent on her and her families clothing in a vain attempt to spruce them up.
    We are sorry to have her return to Alaska.

December 5, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  14. Concerned in Atlanta

So much for the "hockey mom" image ... but dont sell her to us as an everyday "hockey mom"/pitbull with lipstick.

That being said, i dont see anything wrong with the RNC spending $180,000 to make their VP candidate look good to the American public. If she had been presented to us looking "cheap and ordinary", many would have probably come up with hurtful names like "trailer trash" etc.

I am a staunch Obama supporter, and never liked Palin, not because of the cost of her wardrobe but because she didnt seem to have depth & substance and (for someone without substance) mostly came out as very snide and cocky.

So .. to fellow "liberals" out there, LETS BE FAIR and get off the wardrobe discussion!

She might as well have kept the clothes ... why donate? unless they are being auctioned for more money to help the needy. And to all the "pervs" out there, i dont thin anything from victoria secret will be donated to charities ..

December 5, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  15. Esch

I think that it's funny that people are calling McCain and Palin dumb for trying to impress their audience. Who was their audience? The American voters. What are Americans interested in, really? It's not hard news. It's not what's really going on in the world. It's what Britney or Paris or Jen or Angelina are wearing to take the garbage out that day. You have nobody to blame but yourselves for the high cost of her fashion.

December 5, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  16. irish

All you Palin bashers -Just exactly how much do you think Michelle Obama is going to spend on her inaugural gown? I can guarantee it won't be the "Blue Light Special at K-Mart". Frankly, I don't think Michelle will look as good in her pricey duds as Sarah Palin looks in hers. Not with that big butt.

December 5, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  17. Laura

I don't particularly care for the woman, but the RNC bought those clothes, not Palin. She supposedly was happy to wear her own clothes. I don't understand the comments that demonize this woman, simply because she was McCain's conservative running mate. People are not bad because they hold different points of view.

December 5, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  18. VETS4Obama

Well said Ken! The $180,000 would have been better spent educating that ignorant fool! Not sure what could have been done about her hate spewing smart mouth or her repeted attempts to divide the country though!

December 5, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  19. BrianNH

The point here isn't as much how much was spent, as who paid for it. Who cares how much Obama's suits costs, or Michelle's inaugural ball gown or Bidens haircuts, they pay for them themselves, the Democrat party doesn't pay for them. If Palin had spent her own money on this stuff it would have never been an issue.

And to the guy still asking about Obama's birth certificate, you can't be serious right?

December 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  20. Lisa

She and her party represent hypocrisy

December 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  21. Kira

Why didn't it occur to Palin to say, "Look, if my clothes, hair and makeup were good enough for my job as governor, they are good enough for the 9 weeks left in the presidential race." Palin is a diva who is still hogging the limelight, and neglecting her duties as governor. Her down-home, just-plain-folks act is a SHAM, and so is she! The $180,000 wasted on her is NEWS because Palin obviously is positioning herself to run in 2012. Barbie, pleeeeze just get off the stage and go home to Alaska!

December 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. NJames

That's approaching $5,000 per campaign day for clothes and makeup. Without much going on "upstairs" with Sarah, I guess they put their absurd money down on the one thing she had going for her. Glad to see these hypocrites got what was coming to them.

December 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. Greg Graham

Let it go people - the liberals won, move on

December 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  24. VETS4Obama

Hey dubbleyu what have you been smoking moron?

December 5, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  25. Stevie

Yea, it's all going to the Palin charity for themselves.

December 5, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |