December 5th, 2008

More spending on Palin revealed

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican National Committee's total fashion bill for Sarah Palin's nine-week stint on the GOP presidential ticket is in: $180,000.

That's $30,000 more than the RNC previously disclosed it had spent outfitting and styling the Alaska governor and her family, according to Politico and the RNC's latest filings with the Federal Elections Commission.

The latest filing, which includes the final 3 weeks of the presidential race, shows the committee directed close to $55,000 to Palin's fashion stylist, New York-based Lisa Kline.

The RNC also spent close to $24,000 in several high end stores, including Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Target, and Victoria's Secret.

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign paid a total of $110,000 on Palin's traveling hair and makeup stylists, according to the New York Times and the McCain campaign's latest FEC filing.

News surfaced shortly before Election Day that Republicans had shelled out more than $150,00 on Palin and her family in clothing costs - a revelation that posed an unnecessary distraction for the struggling McCain campaign, and undercut Palin's hockey-mom credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Franky

You know, all I'm gonna say is when I check out a woman, I don't make projections to where she bought her clothes and how much. Let alone if your good like me, you'll be able to identify her fashion and style. And I personally like the style than the fashion but overall, if you look good and I like you, your lucky, LOL!! BUT if I ever found out that if you are rich or have money, then I'm gonna be like..."The hell with my money!" LOL!!!

So Gov Palin, (wink), (wink), LOL!! Remember, I found her first, I gave props to that guy who wrote that article and I said I like how he thinks(I think it was a he). It wasn't til when I got ticked off when the GOP got caught, that was different. But to come and think about it, Conservatives owe me, LOL!!!

December 5, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  2. tim

yea.....and the Tampa Bay Rays wore Gucci jock straps!

December 5, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  3. Heather in Oregon

I'm ashamed that I used to be a Republican.
    Sarah Palin is a prime example of the arrogance of the Republican party. So many of them think that what is good for the rich/ famous is good for all. They don't belive in the old saying that I am my brother's keeper...or reach out a hand to someone in need. These clothes will NEVER end up doing anyone outside the Republican party any good. Mark my words. No single mom with a dead-beat ex who needs a suit for an interview will ever have the opportunity to wear these clothes.
    *sigh*

December 5, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  4. newz4i

So, all she did was get her hair done.

December 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  5. matt

At least none of the $180k was spent on Hillary pantsuits.

December 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  6. melissa

did jon say "how cares"?

people that can spell "who" care!!!!!!

idiots.

December 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  7. Trish

God are you people idiots. Sarah Palin did NOT buy those clothes – the RNC did and she is NOT keeping them. And they were paid for by donors NOT taxpayer money. How many times does the media have to lie about it or not tell the real story just to get you ignorant people to mouth off again with your nasty comments. You are the disgusting ones – not Sarah Palin.

December 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  8. Tom

So Palin's defense is that she didn't order the clothes so it is not her fault or responsibility and those nasty old handlers forced them on her? That sounds a whole lot like Sen. Ted Stevens defense of the illegal gifts he received. He didn't ask for them so they didn't count as gifts, even though he used and enjoyed them. The jury didn't buy his story and we shouldn't buy hers. Ethics seems to have a different meaning in Alaska.....Must be something in the water.

December 5, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  9. travelo_new

may be they didnt like the idea of 'check-in the baggage' when flying for campaign

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  10. Franky

But to be fair, they did say they donate it so that's good...but was it? LOL!!! Na'h, I'm playing...

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  11. Where is "first dude'/

Where is Todd Palin and the rest of the family?

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. warrior1

Wait a second...since when is Target a high end fashion store? Good reporting CNN...lol. :D

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  13. Tempered

1) If Sarah Palin promised to stay in Alaska - and not appear on national tv or radio again for at least, I dunno, 30 years - I'd say let her keep her fancy clothes, lingerie (!), and baubles. $180,000 would be well worth never having to see or hear her again.

2) Target is high-end retail? Really? I guess I'm more fashionable than I thought! Or maybe that's just a sign that our economy really *is* in the toilet?

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  14. aquinas

Even after the $180,000 Palin is still Artic Hillbilly Trash and respresents a mind with no substance, a clear-cut scatterbrain mother with a pregnant unwed teen, and isan evangelical, moose-hunting whacko so far out of the mainstream of America.

And all those RNC bucks spent on image for the "Drill Baby Drill" look turned in the result of "Drown Baby Drown" on election day.

December 5, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  15. Stephen

No amount of money spent could help with her intellect...not even millions. She is not a bright woman intellectually which makes it a shame that she was selected since there are many other intelligent women within the leadership of the GOP (if McCain needed a femail) that could have better articulated the policies and positions of the GOP. She is not, by no means, the best female available to thrust into the spotlight and place in front of a microphone. Govenor of Alaska is about her maximum...small state...small population....minimum communications required....limited problems to solve.

December 5, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  16. DS Blakenship

And Hussein Obama gave his wife a $30,000 ring! I just don't believe she shops at Wal-Mart. He has $30 million left. Why doesn't he redistribute it to those less needy???????????

December 5, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. Garfield

If the Republicans are considering her as their presidency candidate for 2012 they all have to be totally NUTS, Insane and unbelievably Stupid. I mean can't they see that she is just a bagful of nothing.

Wow...what a bunch of complete morons.

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  18. Sue

Julius,
    I beg to differ. McCain took PUBLIC funding, so the money the RNC spent came from ALL of us...any money Obama spent was from the willing donors. And if you really think McCain had any intention or the capability to make us energy independent and get the nation working (at what, drilling in the wilderness on projects that will take 10 years to see any results?) , you probably would be interested in a nice pipeline project that has yet to be approved and will also take decades to show fruit.
    Obama is a citizen, get over it, and try to rein in your venom until he actually does something. McCain and Palin had no new ideas, and worse, were only interested in working with like-minded right wingnuts who think war is OK, torture is fine, tax cuts solve all economic problems (except the one Bush has left us, evidently!) and that everything is really OK, just let the Deciders do their thing. They have trashed the Constitution, ruined our reputation with needless wars, illegal torture, and holding people without representation or even charges against them...for YEARS! And they have the means in place to arrest anyone they want, citizen or no, and hold them in secret. Glad that's all OK by you, but it is not the America we believe in over here in leftist land.

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  19. Lochaber

She didn't ask for the clothes/stylists. Drop it, huh?

If you just CAN'T let it go, then tell us how much did Obama spend on not-off-the-rack suits, shirts, ties and shoes?

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  20. Mark

I was initially shocked by the ludicrous, partisan & sexist responses I'm reading here, but then realized I was on the CNN site. My bad. Let me type in the only major objective website here, let's see...f-o-x-n-e-w-s-.-c-o-m.... Later!

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  21. Commonwealth VA

Boo on this lady. People being laid off work, in many cases scraping to get by. And this obscene amount of money is spent on her and even worse HER FAMILY when they try to portray her as 'joe hockey mom'. What a load of c-r-a-p.

Elitism and arrogance, pure and simple.

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. Vandy MBA

Get a life CNN. How much does Nancy Pelosi spend per week on her private jet paid for by taxpayers? How much wasteful spending do all Republicans and Democrats spend at the taxpayers expense every week on getting us into a bigger financial mess? How much did the auto exec's pay for their private jets? How much are they paying you to write this article? Go find something useful to report......

P.S. What you fail to report is all the clothes were eventually given to charity after their use.......and that Palin did not ask for the clothes, the RNC let her borrow them.

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  23. Ken

OH, the horror!!! The horror!!! Next time she should just spend millions of dollars on columns and nobody will care.

Way to go, CNN!!! Will you be changing your name to B.N.N. anytime soon?

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  24. tim

she couldn't have spent that on birth control for Bike, Blaze, Storm or whatever her kids names are....

December 5, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  25. Claudette

HEY, IT WAS THE DUMBA$$ GOP THAT SPENT THAT MONEY, NOT HER........DUH.
    SHE LOOKED FINE BEFORE THEIR STUPID INPUT.

December 5, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |