December 5th, 2008

More spending on Palin revealed

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican National Committee's total fashion bill for Sarah Palin's nine-week stint on the GOP presidential ticket is in: $180,000.

That's $30,000 more than the RNC previously disclosed it had spent outfitting and styling the Alaska governor and her family, according to Politico and the RNC's latest filings with the Federal Elections Commission.

The latest filing, which includes the final 3 weeks of the presidential race, shows the committee directed close to $55,000 to Palin's fashion stylist, New York-based Lisa Kline.

The RNC also spent close to $24,000 in several high end stores, including Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Target, and Victoria's Secret.

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign paid a total of $110,000 on Palin's traveling hair and makeup stylists, according to the New York Times and the McCain campaign's latest FEC filing.

News surfaced shortly before Election Day that Republicans had shelled out more than $150,00 on Palin and her family in clothing costs - a revelation that posed an unnecessary distraction for the struggling McCain campaign, and undercut Palin's hockey-mom credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. abdur azad

and they preach less spending, small government. repubs say what they do not do and do what they do not say. they champion for democracy and support monerchy, preach transperency and favor lobbyists. is this bush brand or repub brand politics?

December 5, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  2. Independent voter

What makes this really hard to swallow, Plain claims that she did not know anything about it. Hello!!!!! Plain!!!!! Mcfly!!!! She is an air head boy.

December 5, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  3. cman4281

I'm sorry but Victoria's Secret. Did she need to buy new underwear for her interviews? Unless she was planning on flashing her bra during a press conference I don't think that was needed. On the plus side I guess I can go to the Salvation Army and get a pair of her panties to sell on EBay.

December 5, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  4. Commonwealth VA

jenny that's my point. Why do they even NEED to spend ANY MONEY ON TODD AND THE KIDS for the sake of Pete?

December 5, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  5. 35 Washington

I bet Barbie is like SUPER jealous..

December 5, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Reasonable Observer

I find the comments and reporting of this interesting. When will we see anything about the questionable funds Obama received through the Internet by disabling the most rudimentary identification checking?

Obama campaign financing will most likely not be audited so we will never know where he got the money , or what he spent it on. Does anyone find it intersting that because Obama broke his promise to accept public funding that he will not be audited? Wouldn't you think his campaign should definitely be audited in that case?

Oh, I know. Obama the great is above scrutiny. But..... don't you wonder how much the Obama Christmas vacation in Hawaii will cost while we are trying to find new jobs??

December 5, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. JGM

Barbie and Ken of the Nordic Region.

December 5, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Big Ed

Victoria's Secret??? ACK! There's a picture that will keep me up tonight. You Betcha!!!

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  9. Rich

Palin is a pathetic, unintelligent, incurious, disingenuous clown. Her 15 minutes of fame were up a long time ago. It's time to move on to more important matters.

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Jennifer

For all the people saying that anyone should stop reporting on Palin....why are you reading the articles then? Apparently you enjoy reading about her or you wouldn't be here.

And, honestly, why do I care how much was spent for Sarah Palin's clothing?

1. It was not HER clothing!
    2. It seems rather sexist to me that noone discussed any other candidate's clothing.
    3. Noone has discussed the president elect's wife playing down her appearance just so people would feel as if they could relate to her.
    4. My contribution was gave with no strings attached to be used as it was seen fit. I am not jealous that Sarah Palin wore expensive clothing and I am sad for anyone else that does. I don't think people, especially women, would be discussing this topic if that weren't the case for many of them.

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. VETS4Obama

Hey Trish, maybe Sarah has room in her igloo for you also! It sounds like you are as ignorant as she is! Last time I checked she was not forced to wear those clothes and was on the stump preaching against things like that as well as spewing hatred and trying to divide the country!

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  12. DS Blakenship

Thank God for conservatives. It shows some aren't following like little robot sheep. I'm glad conservatives have their own brains. And can use them. Liberals have too, too much hate and intolerance. I don't know how they could have any piece of mind.

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  13. Ray Fisher

This is not news, she's a Republican!!! All they know is to spend money and destroy nations. Get over it!!!

December 5, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  14. Commonwealth VA

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Hah! I'd love to see the 'thrift store value' the RNC tries to put on those clothes. If I were the IRS I'd take a reeeeeeely close look at the 'accounting' on that one! I mean, they shouldn't be able to claim receipt value for that stuff.

December 5, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. DS Blakenship

Who cares about Hussein Obama and Michelle my belle? Not me.

December 5, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  16. karen

I agree with Steve – who cares? What did President-elect Obama spend on his suits? They all have to play to the TV cameras – shame on us for making it that way. p.s. it didn't matter who you voted for, it's all the same.

December 5, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  17. S Callahan

My church would be happy to take these articles off your hands.

In all fairness, I'm sure her stylist, hairdresser,etc were also paid out of this..right?

December 5, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  18. Jim Jam

Yea... A pit bull in lipsitck... And $180,000 in borrowed cloths, is still a dog.

December 5, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  19. scotty

these purchases just shows the American people hoe the GOP spends our money. It's not Gov. Palin's fault!!!!!! Leave her alone!!

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  20. David A Conservative Voter

Sarah Palin is just another big spending Republican who tries to come across as a conservative. Remember the bridge to nowhere? After public outcry about the cost, Palin voted against the bridge, but kept the money. Who's money...yours and mine. She's in outer space. The only thing she has going for her is she has a "Nice Body"

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  21. Johnstone

Yep. She's just one of 'the folks' gosh darnit.

Cause 'the folks' spend the better part of 5 years pre-tax salary on clothes in a month and a half.

Yep. You betcha dhey shur do, yah.

And to the posters who want to know what the men spend: Most if not all of the men who ran this election cycle are wealthy and buy their own clothes. No story there.

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  22. Amanda

You know, to save money for when she runs for president (Which I hope she does-easy for Obama to win another term), Why doesn't the RNC just hold on to the clothes for 4 years for her to wear again instead of giving them to charity?? That was such a waste of money...Dunno why they spent so much on her for the 3-4 months of her being a VP-wanna be???

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  23. brenda bracey

I cannot believe that John McCain ever picked her to begin with. How did anyone think an almost anonymous person could help get him elected. The John McCain from even five years ago would never have done this and like most of the comments here from women, Palin does not represent me or any real woman that I know. Bring on Tina Fey, I say........

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  24. Gwen

Glamour Diva! Lipstick on a Pig is right. You can look at her and see the greed in her eyes. She can't give up the limelight and can't wait until she has the next opportunity to grab up the chance to "serve the people". Give me a break; it is obivious who the first person in line to be served will be if she is ever elected to a real office.

The more she is in the limelight and in the news, the more the few people that support her will be able to see through her. On second thought, the people that support her and think she would be good for America in any office she holds, do not possess the mental capacity to even communicate intellgiently as to why they would support her in the first place.

Obama is a strong leader. He may not be perfect in his tenure as president but he appears to be geniunely interested and concerned with America. I for one, have hope that we at least can begin with that. Let's look at it this way. If he screws up big time, he has Hillary by his side to know all his secrets and ins and outs. She can step up to the plate and knock out the bimbo glamour Diva with the lipstick. So I'm still not worried. I just set back and watch the drama with the dame unfold and laugh my butt off.

December 5, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  25. Art

Now if CNN would only publish the updated figures that the other democratic and independent governors purchased by their respective candidates we could put this nonsense behind us.

December 5, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |