December 5th, 2008

More spending on Palin revealed

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican National Committee's total fashion bill for Sarah Palin's nine-week stint on the GOP presidential ticket is in: $180,000.

That's $30,000 more than the RNC previously disclosed it had spent outfitting and styling the Alaska governor and her family, according to Politico and the RNC's latest filings with the Federal Elections Commission.

The latest filing, which includes the final 3 weeks of the presidential race, shows the committee directed close to $55,000 to Palin's fashion stylist, New York-based Lisa Kline.

The RNC also spent close to $24,000 in several high end stores, including Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Target, and Victoria's Secret.

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign paid a total of $110,000 on Palin's traveling hair and makeup stylists, according to the New York Times and the McCain campaign's latest FEC filing.

News surfaced shortly before Election Day that Republicans had shelled out more than $150,00 on Palin and her family in clothing costs - a revelation that posed an unnecessary distraction for the struggling McCain campaign, and undercut Palin's hockey-mom credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Lauren in Richmond, VA

hey, at least we know she wears underwear!!

December 6, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  2. Beverly B

Cover something newsworthy. Move on------

December 6, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  3. grahame

I just read Julius's comment.
    Go ahead and read it for yourself ,you will get a good laugh out of it.
    Point is that Julius, God bless his ignorant cotten socks, Is fully representative of the mindless twaddle that the Republicans push as some kind of idealistic platform. The sad thing is that there are people around like Julius (read David Duke) who never got out of the fourth grade. Answer me this Jul baby. If Palin was elected president and there was another 9/11 what would she do. Probably hide under the bed until the bad men had gone away.
    Really Julius you are such a joke... There I'm laughing at your ignorance

December 6, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  4. grahame

sorry I meant 50 bucks

December 6, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  5. EuLoGY

G-Man.........Dems dont support killing fetuses.....they support a womans right to choose what to do with it.

Like republicans have the right to Pull out.................................................of Iraq LMAO

December 6, 2008 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  6. 3strikes

hey GMAN, good point there.
    nobamacrats praise their nobama god, they want abortion and theyre for gays in the military. repubs praise god/jesus, theyre pro-life, think homosexuality is blasphemy, and not in line with the false messiah/prophet. two worlds collide. WE NEED REPUB REFORM AND PALIN POWER

December 6, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  7. Jeff

I don't see anything wrong with this! Where do people want potential heads of state to shop? TJ Max? Perhaps a plaid hunting jacket would have sufficed? Honestly. Besides, somebody's gotta spend to save us all!

December 6, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  8. Theresa

First, to unbelievable, it was not taxpayer money, it was donated money. Second, this was not her decision, it was the RNC's. I think it is funny that the media wants to put the focus on her. Maybe this was a mistake by the RNC but the truth is she was the only woman on either ticket. Remember, you don't get to use the party's funds until you become the official nominee, so Hillary didn't qualify. My point is, women are judged based on how they look. Like it or not, that is how our world works.

December 6, 2008 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  9. Brendolyn

I was a hockey mom for several years to my three kids and I can guarantee you that I nor none of the other moms I hung out with spent that kind of money on our clothes. Now keep in mind that we live in the affluent San Francisco Bay Area and we still never spent money like that on hair, clothes, and make up for our daily lives. I can certainly understand the need for Sarah Palin to look good during the campaign, but there are very nice clothes to be had at high end stores such as Macy's and Neiman Marcus that do not have to deflate the budget. Another thing I've not understood through this whole debacle that has not been explained fully is why was it necessary for her entire family to be clothed from those stores as well? Obviously they needed to be dressed well but at those prices? If I had donated to the Republican party, only to find out that my money was being spent on clothing Ms. Palin and her family, I would be livid. It's sad to think that many of the people who donated their hard earned money can't even clothe their own families. The Republican party members who are responsible for this have a lot to answer for.

December 6, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  10. Les, Utah

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig!!!

December 6, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  11. Matt

Target is not a high end store – and Ann Taylor is on the border.

December 6, 2008 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  12. Tom

Palin for President in 2012? Are you serious? Are you in denial? If this is the NEW HOPE for the Replicans, then I guess Democrats will be in charge (thank God) for a very, very, very long time to come. Really, what qualifies Palin for President? Because she's America's first line of defense if Russia decides to invade the United State by way of Alaska? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Palin for President 2012... That's the funniest thing I've heard in a very long time.

December 6, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  13. joe the emailer

I <3 Joe the BIG SPENDER!

December 6, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  14. joe the emailer

and if no one cares why are there 508 comments....

December 6, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  15. Tommy PalinBanger

Victoria Secret !!!!??? A sweet treat for the hubby for allowing his piece of arse to be pimped out to the nation for a while????

December 6, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  16. Mitch

Seriously? All politics aside. Does anyone really care?

December 6, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  17. _

I wonder if the Victoria's Secret undies will be donated to charity too.

December 6, 2008 12:35 am at 12:35 am |
  18. Ann

To those who are getting confused, please note that Obama's campaign was funded by donations, whereas the McCain-Palin presidential campaign was funded with $84 million in tax dollars under the presidential public campaign financing system. Therefore, those who are saying that our tax dollars were spent on Palin's wardrobe, stylist, etc are correct.

I don't think anyone would find it so noteworthy if a lesser sum of money was used to outfit her with business clothes for public appearances, but when she started letting the campaign outfit her entire family with so many items...well, to me that shows an error in judgement on her part.

December 6, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  19. Myron

gman: Alternatively, Palin could learn something about the world that she wishes to one day lead.

Democrats like competence. We leave the emotionalism and the obsession with personal lives to Republicans.

December 6, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  20. Roy

Boy, If only I can get hold of her VS Underwears. I bet, SP's used underwear will fetch big dough on eBay. That will be really helping (my) economy.

December 6, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  21. Teeth Doctor

WHO CARES?

What's it going to cost the tax payers for Michelle Obama's dental work?

Dentist unite!

December 6, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  22. dondondon

it's great to see that target is included in Sarah Palins "high end stores" where the rnc blew lots of money to make her look better (as if she needed that) . If target is a high end store, I am styl'n....!

December 6, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  23. Pepe Le Pew

If I click my heels twice, will she go home? And take Toto with her?

December 6, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  24. Laurents deWelles

you can get a good idea of how badly Sarah Palin scared the liberals and their media flunkies by the way that they are keeping after her...snapping senselessly at her heels even though the election is over....

I cannot wait until 2010...and 2012....

December 6, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  25. SHAME

JANELL ~ "Black Men Can't Lead" ???
    you my dear are ignorant. Shame on you.
    JAM ~"Michelle $5000.00 a day...stylist"??? Prove it.

These two lovely people are the very reason I despise Ms. Palin. She incites these cowards to show their hate...only problem...I'd be willing to bet they are not that brave away from the shade of the computer screen or the shadow of their hoods.

In relation to this story, Ms. Palin should be ashamed to promote herself as the hockey mom and then shop at such high end retailers. Her justification that she did know have now been debunked. She may have needed a makeover but Nordstroms? I will not state it as a fact but I am sure everyone but her pays for the own (Michelle shops at JCrew and White House Black Market).

Oh and by the way, Ms. Palin is a story. This woman has singlehandlely done more to divide a country than anyone I know of in my life time. Hate to give her any type of credit because I am sure she will twist it into something positive she has done. And, of course the women in homeless shelters would LOVE to have a donated wardrobe from Nordstroms or Victoria Secrets while they try to become self sufficient and safe and take care of their children.

Palin is news...we have to watch her. I feel bad for Alaska.

December 6, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |