December 5th, 2008

More spending on Palin revealed

Spending on Palin's clothes, makeup and hair made headlines during the campaign.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Republican National Committee's total fashion bill for Sarah Palin's nine-week stint on the GOP presidential ticket is in: $180,000.

That's $30,000 more than the RNC previously disclosed it had spent outfitting and styling the Alaska governor and her family, according to Politico and the RNC's latest filings with the Federal Elections Commission.

The latest filing, which includes the final 3 weeks of the presidential race, shows the committee directed close to $55,000 to Palin's fashion stylist, New York-based Lisa Kline.

The RNC also spent close to $24,000 in several high end stores, including Ann Taylor, Bloomingdales, Brooks Brothers, Neiman's, Nordstrom, Macy's, Saks, Target, and Victoria's Secret.

The RNC has said all the clothes purchased will be donated to charity.

Meanwhile, the McCain campaign paid a total of $110,000 on Palin's traveling hair and makeup stylists, according to the New York Times and the McCain campaign's latest FEC filing.

News surfaced shortly before Election Day that Republicans had shelled out more than $150,00 on Palin and her family in clothing costs - a revelation that posed an unnecessary distraction for the struggling McCain campaign, and undercut Palin's hockey-mom credentials.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. tired of lies

this is disgraceful.

December 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. Keith - Ottawa, Ontario

Victoria's Secret??? For her husband??? WOW... Hoooda thunk itt??

December 5, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  3. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

I buy all but undies at resale stores. And I look as good as Sarah did those nine weeks.

What did she need expensive clothes for since you can get decent "looks" at mainstream stores like Penneys, Sears, Macy's, even Wal-Mart.

December 5, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  4. joan

And the neo-cons have the nerve to complain about Obama's supposed plans to penalize small businesses; those high end women's shops came out the financial winners, while the small independently owned clothing shops couldn't even sell Sarah a pretty scarf to complement her $5,000 outfits. What a paradox. The Republicans should all be ashamed and keep their mouths shut.

December 5, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. keith Barber

What a fraud. She is sickening and the sheep who follow her are either terribly naive or morally vapid.

December 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  6. Bruce

It's funny that this is even news, really. It just gives Democrats something more to complain about. She is a fiscally responsible conservative. When you run for a party, the wardrobe is paid for by the party, period. This story is sexist all the way around. Where are the stories about McCain and Obama's wardrobe? Or, as a matter of fact, why don't we ask Hillary how much she spent on her wardrobe throughout the primary campaign? This isn't news, and people need to wake up and stop making it news..

December 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  7. mike in ks

actually, i believe the items will be auctioned off and the proceeds going to charity. that would make more sense than giving the clothing away directly. there's some republican yahoo that will fork over $$$$ for sarah's undergarments!

December 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Jackson K

Ok, you know something CNN, this is despicable of you. Give it a rest, she is no longer an issue. people have already expressed displeasure about the GOP buying the cloths for her. So, what in God's name are you trying to do bringing up the article on here, which by the way, i read about online three days ago. If i know you guys well, you are trying to start something, incite people against Palin. Seat down and for once ask yourselves how much you contributing to the hatred for this woman. Not saying she was perfect but u guys sure did a number on her. Who are my kidding, you are still doing a number on her.

December 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  9. sharon

call the IRS,,,,,Remember Ted
    ..What would 4 years of primping have cost had McCain/Palin been elected?
    sharon in Canada

December 5, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I hope to see a homeless person in my town wearing her used clothes

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. James

loooooooser!

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  12. mary

Since when did the 'Joe Six Packs' of America demand such style? She was trying to 'appeal' to the 'average Joe' while wearing clothing that was in excess of several years worth of 'Joe Six Packs' wages. (Like 8-10 'after tax' years of wages) Don't know how Joe could identify with that.

She sure learned quickly how to 'talk out of both sides of her mouth. 'I'm concervative, but boy watch me spend what isn't mine' She would be absolutely terrifying if she once got ahold of the treasury money - she would go on an endless spending spree - all in the sake of trying to 'look good' to Joe Six Pack.

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  13. Lindy

Sarah Who?????

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. Sharon

This pathetic Alaskan hillbilly is finally exposed publicaly for the lying hypocrite that she is.

What evangelical christian wears Victoria Secret products?

What republican candidate needs Victoria Secrete products for the campaign?

Lyin Palin, GOP WH*ORE

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. tired of lies

sick of palin, she's a racist.

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. E I

this show how smart are the american people and how much everybody is looking for honesty! McCain and Palin lie during the campaign and after the campaign!!!!

December 5, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  17. Sadie CA

So...what about the $110,000 hair and makeup costs. Is that left over make-up going to charity? That is 12K a week - a bit less than 2 k a DAY! For 2k a day - she better look pretty hot!

December 5, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  18. David.

Victoria's Secret
    lmfaoooooooo.
    We know what the late nights in the office were about now.

December 5, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. JIM...TX

Just goes to show you can't make a silk purse out of a pig with lipstick....

December 5, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Laura

She reminds me of Evita Peron

Eyes, hair, mouth, figure
    Dress, voice, style, movement
    Hands, magic, rings, glamour
    Face, diamonds, excitement, image

I came from the people, they need to adore me
    So Christian Dior me from my head to my toes
    I need to be dazzling, I want to be Rainbow High
    They must have excitement, and so must I

Eyes, hair, mouth, figure
    Dress, voice, style, image

I'm their product, it's vital you sell me
    So Machiavell me, make an Argentine Rose
    I need to be thrilling, I want to be Rainbow High
    They need their escape, and so do I

All my descamisados expect me to outshine the enemy
    I won't disappoint them
    I'm their savior, that's what they call me
    So Lauren Bacall me, anything goes
    To make me fantastic, I have to be Rainbow High
    In magical colors

You're not decorating a girl for a night on the town
    And I'm not a second-rate queen getting kicks with a crown

Next stop will be Europe
    The Rainbow's gonna tour, dressed up, somewhere to go
    We'll put on a show

Look out, mighty Europe
    Because you oughta know whatcha gonna get in me
    Just a little touch of
    Just a little touch of
    Argentina's brand of star quality

December 5, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. Roland

GOP: Greed Over Principle! This woman is a joke! Can someone send her and her four children and grandchild back to Alaska and LEAVE THEM THERE!

December 5, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. jude

This woman is such a disgrace to women everywhere. Look at her ethics....bought and paid for with a few dresses...she must have spent as much time on her principles as she did teaching her oldest daughter abstinence...

December 5, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  23. Devon

Among the funny parts of this article is that Target is considered high-end.

December 5, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  24. Ninja

Can we please hear more about Obama's two roundtrips to Hawaii – to the tune of $8000,000?

December 5, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |