December 5th, 2008

Obama on jobs report: Urgent response needed

Unemployment rose to 6.7 percent in November.
Unemployment rose to 6.7 percent in November.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama released a statement Friday regarding the news employers cut more than 530,000 jobs in November:

"The 533,000 jobs lost last month, the worst job loss in 34 years, is more than a dramatic reflection of the growing economic crisis we face. Each of those lost jobs represents a personal crisis for a family somewhere in America. Our economy has already lost nearly 2 million jobs during this recession, which is why we need an Economic Recovery Plan that will save or create at least 2.5 million more jobs over two years while we act decisively to maintain the flows of credit on which so many American families and American businesses depend.

"There are no quick or easy fixes to this crisis, which has been many years in the making, and it's likely to get worse before it gets better. But now is the time to respond with urgent resolve to put people back to work and get our economy moving again. At the same time, this painful crisis also provides us with an opportunity to transform our economy to improve the lives of ordinary people by rebuilding roads and modernizing schools for our children, investing in clean energy solutions to break our dependence on imported oil, and making an early down payment on the long-term reforms that will grow and strengthen our economy for all Americans for years to come," said President-elect Obama.

1. Bruce

What has or is Bush doing? He is still the President and supposedly in charge.
    Oh yea he is out buying a house to live after 1/20/08 and talkign about bar-b-quing...
    Sort of like Nero Fiddling while Rome burned.

December 5, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  2. Tracey

To Kay

your really stupid

December 5, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  3. Professor Mary

Leadership by consensus has its merits. I am sure the final decision will be his in most matters. He does not seem to be the type of person to not to be able to think on his own. We should pray that comes out in his decision making. Bush was the kind of president that if his favorite said it was okay it was okay but that is nepotism not leadership. If you want to be of the solution not part of the problem volunteer for the inuaguration. Apply for a transition job. I did both! I don't agree with everything a politician does but I am proactive.

December 5, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  4. thomas

All of us might as well fold up shop because nobody is going to be able to buy anything when everybody is out of work. Think about this.

December 5, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  5. gerri

What did Paulson do with our money?

December 5, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. lynn

This didn't happen over night. He's not EVEN THE PRESIDENT YET!!! Obama has done more as president elect than Bush, the lame duck has.

Oh, that's right, he's busy rewrting history for his "legacy". NO OFFICIAL DUTIES ON HIS CALENDAR. Thanks, you leave America in the lurch...AGAIN!!

Obama will do great, everything will be in place on day one and we will have a fully functional government. Why anyone would really want this job is beyond me but I'm glad one of our best and brightest people got the job!! About time!!

December 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. jesuino leduino rosa

ELETRIC CAR.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. Godluvr

For twice in my life (Kennedy), a president who cares! Thank you President-Elect Obama for giving me hope, it means a lot!

December 5, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  9. college student

it's pretty obvious. Obama's plan is pretty much going along with what FDR did during the great depression to turn things around....and it worked. All of you think the government does not need to interfere with the economy but you are wrong its the lack of government regulations and restrictions that got us in this mess in the first place. then on some poll that cnn took the other day that 6 in 10 Americans don't want to bail out the major 3 automakers, we should of bailed the automakers out before we bailed out the banks! that poll only showed that 6 in 10 Americans do not know anything about economics. Obama has come up with a dream team for his entire cabinet and once he comes into office i think great things will happen, unlike the present officials in office right now that do not seem to be doing anything right now to help with the overwhelming job losses.

December 5, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. college student

it's also obvious that most of you do not understand how he plans on creating jobs. The biggest step that FDR took was to create jobs by fixing all the roads and modernizing schools, hospitals, and other government funded buildings. This will create a lot of those 2.5 million new jobs and it's exactly what FDR did. I think before anyone criticizes anybody, especially a graduate student from Harvard and teacher of constitutional law (Mr. Obama) you all should go read a book, or maybe at least give him a chance to be in office before you blame him for what is going on.

December 5, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. williefloyd

I want to say to all those out there hurting and suffering-I am truly sorry. At 63 yrs. of age, I have a home, which I and my late husband worked very hard to pay for while raising our 2 sons. We tried to live our lives as Christians and to instill those same values in our sons. I am very thankful that I am still able to work full time in what I hope is a reasonably secure job. I don't plan to retire, but possibly work only part time after age 65. I say this because I feel that even though so many of our fellow citizens are far less fortunate than I, rather than complain about everything wrong in our country, why can't those of us who are so blessed reach out and help those who aren't?? If everyone who could afford to send only a few dollars to some of these small towns, to mayors, city managers, whatever, could a fund not be established to set up food banks, funds to help with heating bills, or those who are about to lose their homes, or to see that a child had a toy for Christmas?? Do any of you recall DHL closing in Wilmington, OH?? In many of these small towns there are very few businesses to hire those who have lost their jobs. I'm only sorry that I don't have the means to organize such a project, but if enough of you will pray with me, maybe God will show us a way.

God bless our country, our leaders, and give us patience to see us through these terrible times.

December 5, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  12. Change - Yeah Left!

Spend, spend, spend. Tax, tax, tax. And watch American jobs go anywhere but here.

December 6, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |