December 5th, 2008

Sources: Caroline Kennedy asks about Clinton Senate seat

Caroline Kennedy headed up Obama's VP search.
Caroline Kennedy headed up Obama's VP search.

NEW YORK (CNN) – Caroline Kennedy has called New York Gov. David Paterson to ask about the Senate seat to be vacated by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton if she is confirmed as secretary of state in the new Barack Obama administration, Democratic sources tell CNN.

One Democratic source close to the Kennedy family confirmed that Kennedy has had conversations with Paterson and "is interested to say the least" about discussing the Senate vacancy. This source says Kennedy has asked a tight circle of other family friends and political advisers for advice.

A second source, who has knowledge of Kennedy's conversation with Paterson, tells CNN that Kennedy reached out to inquire about the responsibilities and impact such a move would have if she were selected by the governor to fill the position.

In an interview Friday with CNN affiliate NY1 News, Paterson added his own confirmation, saying, "I took a call from her Wednesday night but, I'm not going to talk about the conversation, that just adds more speculation and I don't think it's particularly relevant."

Asked if Kennedy expressed interest in the seat, Paterson replied, "We talked about a number of things, the seat did come up in the conversation."

Paterson added that he was not going to discuss anyone specifically that he might consider to fill the seat if Clinton vacates it to become secretary of state.

"I'm not talking about lists, individuals or anything like that. That just, in my opinion, obfuscates the process," Paterson said.

–CNN's John King contributed to this report.

Filed under: Caroline Kennedy • New York
  1. chuck

Caroline is the best . DEMS-please give it up for Caroline Kennedy.

December 5, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. proudliberal

i think she'd be great. i wouldn't blame her for not wanting it either.

December 5, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  3. Michael-Ventura,CA

KENNEDY FOR SENATE!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  4. Matt

sigh...why not take applications, look under a few rocks? or is it a prerequisite that you went to ivy colleges because to refuse you admission would be a sin against a legendary family? I know it's wishful thinking because the privileged few will always be just that...after all, they're in the positions to ensure it...but I'd like to see a headline about someone who is being considered BASED SOLEY ON MERIT.

December 5, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  5. Matt

And I suppose we'll just have to take what we can get and be satisfied that at least Obama pulled himself up from nothing and didn't start with privilege.

December 5, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. cmars

i HOPE this is really true... she is a fantastic lady, so brilliant and thoughtful and even-tempered, and with great priorities. senator clinton did a lot of great stuff, and hopefully caroline can continue the legacy. if she has even just one-tenth of the heart that her father and uncle did, she will be wonderful!

December 5, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  7. Ronnie Hernandez

I would love to see Caroline as the next Senator from New York if Clinton is confirmed by the United States Senate as the new Secretary of State. I think Caroline's selection to fill that seat would be a great thing for the New Yorkers and this country!

December 5, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Ronnie Hernandez

December 5, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  9. matthew

I am movin' to New York! This is a win win all around!

December 5, 2008 09:41 pm at 9:41 pm |
  10. Lucy Trachy

With regards to the Big 3 Bailout, has anyone thought about "Job Sharing"? I used to work for Services Canada, and when there was a threat of a shutdown for a period of time, through the Employment Insurance Program in Canada, the workers worked for example, 4 days and collected Employment Insurance Insurance for a day. Why wouldnt this work in the United States of America ? I am not talking about the big guys, they got money to retire, am talking about the ones who depend on their income to survive. The workers benefits were not affected by that one day that they were not paid for, and yes, they did not work the day they collected either. To my knowledge, this still exists. Perhaps its something that the Senators should look at.

December 5, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  11. Blues

I hope she will gets the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 5, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  12. Sandra

Wonderful News! I'd like to see Caroline Kennedy involved in politics. She'd be good for the Democratic Party and for the country.

Sandra

December 5, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  13. WIlly Brown

ANother Kennedy wanting to stain Congress.

December 5, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  14. New Yorker

Oh no, spare us!

December 5, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  15. Gaylon Barrow

ANOTHER DEAL THAT OBAMA WORKED OUT WITH TEDDY BOY WHEN HE PROMISED TO ENDORSE HIM. ISEE IT IS BUSINESS AS USUAL IN THE DEMOCRAT PARTY. THE KENNEDYS NO MATTER HOW IMMORAL THEY ARE STILL RUN THAT SIDE OF THE GOVERNMENT. NOW THEY HAVE THEIR BOY TO PULL THEIR STRINGS FOR THEM THANKS TO TEDDY BOY AND OPRAH.

December 5, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  16. jj

I love Kennedy and wish she runs NY after Hilary leaves. God bless NY

December 5, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. J.C.

How can Clinton be so sure about her confirmation? She should hold onto the seat till she is confirmed.

December 5, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  18. Charlie in Maine

A Kennedy in that seat? I love it. He hasn't even been sworn in and Barack Obama is already changing the country for the better. 45 days 14 hours and six minutes to go. I Can't wait.

December 5, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. baljeet dakoo

Its payback time for obama, He is worst then a used car salesman.
    caroline is not senate worthy. Obama will be a one term president.

December 5, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. Larry

In our country ,anybody can be anything that they want to be,it does help to have a last name that's well known,like Kennedy.

December 5, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  21. whotoo

Give her a try. The Kennedys are for change and progress. Helping other people is at their heartbeat.

December 5, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  22. Stephanie

Very cool. I'd love to see her as a Senator.

December 5, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  23. mike, ohio

I think this would be awesome to say the least. I think with her law background from Columbia and Harvard, that she would be a sensational Senator it would be a great move for her and the state of New York.

December 5, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  24. Caroline Fan

I'm a huge fan of Caroline Kennedy and although I don't live in New York state, I think she would make tremendous contributions as a brilliant, sensible, civic minded politician. All the great qualities that Obama saw in her!

December 5, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  25. mary

I think it is wonderful that caroline is willing to entertain the position. She is smart, capable, and would be a breath of fresh air in a place that has too many baffons that has just about sucked the air out of the senate chambers.

December 5, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |