December 6th, 2008

Obama speechwriter Favreau learns the perils of Facebook

This photo of Favreau and Clinton appeared on Facebook Friday.
This photo of Favreau and Clinton appeared on Facebook Friday.

(CNN) - Jon Favreau, future White House director of speechwriting, has so far been at a loss for words over Facebook pictures of him at a recent party.

Pictures of Favreau, 27, at a recent party appeared on Facebook Friday. In one of the photos, Favreau, who served as President-elect Barack Obama’s chief speechwriter during the campaign season, was dancing with a life-sized cardboard cut-out of future secretary of state Hillary Clinton. In a second photo, a friend was offering the cutout a bottle of beer while Favreau stood beside the likeness with his hand on the cardboard New York senator’s chest.

The picture was reportedly up for a scant two hours or so before Favreau removed it, along with every other picture of himself beyond his profile photo - but there’s no getting the Facebook genie back in the bottle.

Favreau wasn’t talking to reporters about the incident, but transition officials said he had offered an apology to Clinton.

The Clinton camp reaction? "Sen. Clinton is pleased to learn of Jon's obvious interest in the State Department, and is currently reviewing his application," Clinton aide Philippe Reines told the Washington Post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Angel

Young people do stupid things....we have all been there done that.......I am sure some of us have done worse....so....

December 6, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  2. oh for goodness sake

I voted for Hillary, then Obama. I'm happy to see that Obama has young people involved. The response to this is ridiculous. Get over it!

December 6, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  3. Eric

I'm agree with everyone that it's not a big deal. There is nothing in the pictures that is incriminating, if anything, Sen. Clinton was offended, and he apologized. That should be the end of it. We are so quick to find anything remotely negative about someone in the spotlight and blow it out of proportion, it's getting old.

December 6, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  4. Frann Altman in Los Angeles

Oh come on, don't blame this on Facebook There are no perils The kid might be intelligent, but perhaps not so mature? He's 27. However, the whole thing is not in sync with Obama's style. And the beer offering kid is wearing an Obama staff t-shirt.

Bye bye opportunity...

December 6, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  5. Mike B.

Oh, for crying out loud! This is just a young guy who put an inappropriate photo on his Facebook page. All you Clinton supporters (many of whom are probably disgruntled McCain supporters masquerading at Clinton supporters) need to relax and stop looking for things to criticize. This style of gotcha politics - registering fake outrage at stupid things like "lipstick on pigs" - was a hallmark of the last eight years and need to go away if the U.S. is ever to get out of the Bush quagmire.

December 6, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  6. KSue Chicago

That wasn't an attack on Hillary, it was an attack on Hillary supporters. Senator Clinton wouldn't have been such a strong contender during the primaries if she had little support among voters – of course, many of her supporters were women.

December 6, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  7. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

For the rest of his career, no....

For the rest of his life, THIS incident is what this sexist jerk Favreau will be remembered for.....

Kind of like OJ....ignorant and arrogant.

December 6, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  8. rome we are

Wow, I need a job.Do a story on what i would do to the cut out.

December 6, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. ryan

This has no relevance at all, me and my 20 yr old roomates drink with our barack obama cut out all the time and of course he becomes the center of attention, its a cardboard cutout that you get at various stores and people show their support, they don't spend $30 to grope it.

December 6, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  10. too funny

No one, except for Hillary Clinton, should be upset by this. She already knows her impact in society and should take this as a compliment of how much influence she has. Get over yourselves and laugh, the picture is funny

December 6, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  11. KB

Stupid move and then his friends post it on face book. serves him right he should learn to act stupid off camera. I hope the Obama team educates this moron on how to conduct one self's when your tied to important people.

That being said if he was just the average 27 year old college kid who cares what he did. Sexist acts are validated everyday
    you turn on the t.v. listen to the radio watch the republicans pick a woman just to shore up woman votes when we change this behavior maybe we won't be having this conversation anymore.

December 6, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  12. frmrobamavolunteer

NH Mom sums it up nicely, and I call on President-elect Obama to release Favreau from any current or future duties with his administration.

December 6, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  13. Mark

MArtin, Bill Richardson is Latino..

December 6, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  14. Emily, MI

Oh my goodness he is a MORON. I am glad he is being publicly humiliated. I am not a huge fan of Hillary Clinton, but I am definitely a huge fan of respect for women, and this is incredibly immature and stupid. How old is this guy?!

December 6, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Carson

Can we see the Sexism in the Obama camp?
    "Yes we Can!"

December 6, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  16. Butch Dillon

I haven't been 27 in a few decades now, but even when I was I acted with more respect than Obama's wet-behind-the-ears speech writer. Life is full of harsh lessons and one of them is now in order for this guy. He should have been out looking for a job as soon as this little stunt was discovered. If he is not forced to face the consequences of his wrongful actions via a firing, we will hear from this punk again, and it will be in a similar reference.

December 6, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  17. dana

And Obama has remained typically silent over this. O course. Can you imagine if a Clinton staffer had been part of a racist-tinged photo with an Obama cut-out? It would have been the end of that staffer and, perhaps, Clinton's political career. Just more evidence that, where sexism is concerned, most anything goes.

December 6, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  18. William, Atl, GA

I see a guy acting the way he should, considering his age, during his own private time.

If you see anything else then you are severely overreaching.

December 6, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  19. Jon

i'm an obama supporter and love hillary as well–and 4 years older than mr. farveau. however, behavior like this from someone who expects to get a position in the new administration is absolutely deplorable.

it's also a good lesson on life nowadays. before, it was just worrying about hiring illegal immigrants–now it's worrying about your face plastered on every corner of the interwebs in compromising situations.

December 6, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  20. Mwanakijiji

Make no mistake. This is the guy who brainwashed American.

December 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  21. Amara (NJ)

Although a Democrat, and an avid supporter of both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, this incident just made me angry.
    As a woman, I find this offensive, and bothersome. This was a stupid act, and a greater apology should be made.
    As an active facebook user, one should know how easily things on the Internet can be used, and someone at the age of 27, especially someone who has had a major role in this campaign, should realize what kinds of pictures are being taken and posted, and how they can easily be circulated with sites such as facebook.
    All in all, this was a very stupid move by Favreau. I wouldn't want to be harsh and say he should be let off, but this is truly demeaning to women everywhere.
    I'm only fifteen, and this incident is making my angry every time I see it. I agree with Campbell Brown on this one.
    And I'm really sort of disappointed from Hillary's response. She is my role model, as I was hoping she would set a greater example by setting this incident right.

December 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  22. maya

This actually does bother me. I don't even like the way the other male is holding her also.

They are grown men and it is beyond tasteless and it IS disturbing.

December 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. BreAnna - Military Brat

That was not very good judgement on Mr. Favreau's part. He obviously wasn't thinking of the consequences of his actions, whether he consumed alcohol or not. With that being said, perhaps he'll exercise better judgement in the future and make sure his little sense of humor won't cost him his job, as he is an excellent speech writer. While I'm glad Senator Clinton wasn't too offended, I wish she would have been a little harsher.

December 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  24. Cat

Disgusting behavior. He shouldn't get ANY job with the Obama administration and should be fired right away. Everyone knows it takes 1 minute to ruin your reputation, therefore, if you act like a baboon in front of a camera, imagine what this little sexiest punk does when no one is looking!
    The children are in charge, God help us. This is going to be a disaster.
    Respect ALL women. What's next, Obama hiring Michael Vick?

December 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  25. Steph S

He was holding up a cardboard cutout of the Senator and his friend was offering it a drink. Would it have been offense if that were a cutout of an athlete or some celebrity. So as a woman you demand more respect or equal respect, let's think about that one before we start saying the guy offended all women. You don't speak for me, thank the Lord. Give me a break people. If Hilary is in fact upset, it just shows we made the right choice. I don't want someone in the White House who's that easily upset. In a way, it was nice of them to include her in their party.

December 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |