December 6th, 2008

Obama speechwriter Favreau learns the perils of Facebook

This photo of Favreau and Clinton appeared on Facebook Friday.
This photo of Favreau and Clinton appeared on Facebook Friday.

(CNN) - Jon Favreau, future White House director of speechwriting, has so far been at a loss for words over Facebook pictures of him at a recent party.

Pictures of Favreau, 27, at a recent party appeared on Facebook Friday. In one of the photos, Favreau, who served as President-elect Barack Obama’s chief speechwriter during the campaign season, was dancing with a life-sized cardboard cut-out of future secretary of state Hillary Clinton. In a second photo, a friend was offering the cutout a bottle of beer while Favreau stood beside the likeness with his hand on the cardboard New York senator’s chest.

The picture was reportedly up for a scant two hours or so before Favreau removed it, along with every other picture of himself beyond his profile photo - but there’s no getting the Facebook genie back in the bottle.

Favreau wasn’t talking to reporters about the incident, but transition officials said he had offered an apology to Clinton.

The Clinton camp reaction? "Sen. Clinton is pleased to learn of Jon's obvious interest in the State Department, and is currently reviewing his application," Clinton aide Philippe Reines told the Washington Post.

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. 70s child

This is why I am glad there was no internet or cell phone cameras when I was his age.

December 6, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  2. Marty

For all the people who say this is just a young, harmless act of a typical 29 year old male. Would you still feel that way if the same picture of a similar high level McCain staffer was taken with a cardboard cut-out of Michelle Obama? I don't think so. Once again, I think people are forgiving the Obama machine for things they would never forgive the Clintons or McCain or Palin for.

December 6, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. HouseDiva

so what? big deal....who cares??

i'm a woman and I don't think that they were being sexist.

the sexist are the ones who think that they were being sexist.

looking back at the things i've done at 27; i'd say that those guys are tamed.

and all you PRUDES need to put a cork in it....i bet most of you get drunk on a regular basis.

December 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. Blues

The guy has only 7or 8 years of life experince......give him a break!!!!!!!!!!

Calculation:
    ------
    Basic 20 yrs
    Life experince 7 yrs
    ---
    Total 27 yrs
    =====

December 6, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Erin

Gotta love the "boys will be boys" comments... personally, I'm not super-offended by it, but I'm just upset by the fact that if it were females grabbing the crotch of a Bill Clinton cut-out, they'd surely have lost their jobs by now.

December 6, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  6. tiredofher

I think he's downright cute!

December 6, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. Joe Green

"Stupidity at a high level. Shame on this jerk. What has happened to maturity and respect? How do you erase this picture that will be around forever. Infinity is forever."

Calm down. Don't twist your panties in a knot, Hillary.

1. He's 27 years old.

2. It's not like he was naked or something.

3. I think the photo is funny.

4. WHO GIVES A RATS ARSE?

5. CNN thinks this is "news"

Now everyone go back to your soylent green crackers and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Next up: Naked photos of a celebrity! More news at 8!

December 6, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. Corndog

Who's the chick in the cardboard cutout? ...she's hot!

December 6, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. Necie

Too funny....but why is it news?

December 6, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  10. Pete

I think Obama and his staff need to come clean first. There are many questions surrounding Obama that have not been answered.

Obama and his staff should complete access to their FB (and other) accounts before prying into others... Let him/her who has not sinned cast the first stone..

December 6, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. Just Rude

Jon Favreau had the picture quickly removed/untagged from Facebook.

CNN, why don't you remove it as well? Do you not get it?

December 6, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  12. usualone

This guy will have to be serious enough soon enough. Sure it was in bad taste, but it wasn't a breathing human being, something that happens to live people we see too much on tv shows during prime time. We women know how you guys think, and you haven't changed over the years. These days women will do the same thing to males as evidenced by comments seen earlier in this column. I am sure the live Hillary would not let this guy do this - and am sure he wouldn't be inclined to do so. He is human, not perfect.

December 6, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  13. PA politico

I'm 26, and I also work in politics, although not in such a prestigious position as this guy. However, I would never pose for a picture like that or even get caught drinking alcohol in a photograph. If I did something like this, I would be fired and so would anyone else. This guy deserves to be FIRED for his stupidity alone. You wanted change America, do you really want these children to be working in the White House at this critical juncture?

December 6, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  14. frank

Jon Favreau is a smart guy but had a stupud mind. And he doesn't deserve any positions on President Obama administration.

December 6, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  15. Just Rude

Furthermore, he should resign because he took 1 picture which was obviously a joke and all in good fun?

Puhleeze.

You people find the oddest times to want to hold people accountable for their actions and punish them.

December 6, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  16. GimmeABreak!

There's nothing distinguished about 99% of politicians. Anyone who thinks that it is essentially a mindless idol worshipper. I mean, the woman's husband stuffed a cohiba up some chick's muff on the clock in the office. This is nothing.

Isn't this Favreau twink a big ole 'mo anyhow? Not that I care, but he just pings my gaydar to the high heavens.

I'm just amazed that after Obama won the primaries Favreau didn't have someone essentially maintaining these types of websites.

December 6, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  17. Lisa

i'm a woman & i'm a little offended, not much though. i'm not surprised by this behavior by immature boys. they will play & we girls like it. we gotta let people unwind in this country....they're just havin fun at a nice party. get over it people.

December 6, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  18. Juan Grain

Fire Him.

December 6, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  19. Cris

at least it's a good picture of her...

December 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. Wages

"The wages of sin is death". I don't think this young man would like to see someone else hold a cutout of his mother or sister in simmilar pose, from a party or not. Excusing this behavior just because its common show how far we have fallen. God have mercy on us!

December 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. First stone

Hey Larry
    I agree, may be moderators are just BIAS.

December 6, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Brandon

i didn't get the state dept joke, someone explain please?

December 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  23. Much to do about nothing

Media is trying to create a controversay. The man did not use the best judgement of course, but it isn't that lewd a photo. He apologized and hopefully will learn from his mistake. But that should be the end of it.

December 6, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  24. wait what?

everyone keeps saying "he's 27" yeah well he is also the chief speech writer for the next President of the U.S. I do not care how old he is he has a very important position and must act professional! I am a 24 y/o male and I would not do this! Its absurd for you to try to justify this it is wrong on so may levels!

December 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  25. Pat M

In my Humble Opinion – this is Much Ado About Nothing. From where I'm sitting Favreau doesn't look to me like he was aware of where his hand was positioned and where it was positioned doesn't look to be in the place described in the News Report. It is obvious he and his Friend were having a few drinks. Let's be real, it happens even to politicians. No need to make a misdomeanor a criminal offense.

December 6, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |