December 8th, 2008

Palin didn't snub Oprah, spokesman says

Palin didn't snub Oprah, a spokesman said.
Palin didn't snub Oprah, a spokesman said.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin's camp is denying claims she's is snubbing talk show host Oprah Winfrey, telling CNN Monday the decision was "nothing personal" - the Alaska governor has just been flooded with so many media requests she simply hasn't had the time to sit down with the daytime talk show icon.

“The governor was invited to appear. She was also invited to appear on Letterman, Leno, Stephanopoulos, The Daily Show. She passed on a vast majority of these requests," Bill McAllister, Palin's communications director and press secretary.

"We’re up to about 250 requests for interviews and appearances and so on. It’s worldwide, there’s still a tremendous amount of interest. It’s nothing personal about Oprah, it’s just that she turned down the vast majority of these requests."

A Palin appearance at a later date is still possible, said McAllister: “I’m not aware that it’s been ruled out.”

Winfrey - the popular daytime talk show host and strong Barack Obama supporter - seemed to suggest last week that Palin was deliberately avoiding her show.

"I said I would be happy to talk to Sarah Palin when the election was over…" she said in an interview with the entertainment show Extra. "I went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me.”

Winfrey’s comments came in response to rumors she'd refused to offer an invitation to the former vice presidential candidate.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Jeanie

Good For Sarah!!! Tell her to stuff it!! I hope she doesn't give her any time on her couch. Oprah snubbed Sarah and it can (and should) work both ways.

December 8, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  2. Mike

Interesting that Oprah feels she has to run after Sarah. Palin and McCain won 47% of the popular vote, in an election where the Dems outspent the GOP two-to-one. Sarah is here to stay, get used to it, folks.

December 8, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  3. Sue

Who cares?

Palin should go back to Alaska where they (maybe?) think she's the best thing since sliced bread.

Me...well, I kind of like a leader who knows a bit about punctuation. But that's just me.....

December 8, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  4. Jeanie

Good For Sarah!!! Tell Oprah to stuff it!!

I hope Sarah doesn't give her any time on her couch. Oprah snubbed Sarah and it can (and should) work both ways.

December 8, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  5. Marco

Grandma Palin should be at home taking care of her kids. The world doesn't need a Hollywood personality...the world needs intelligent, well-educated hard working women as true leaders.

December 8, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  6. Ranchlady

Oprah, Letterman, Leno and the rest of the bunch are so taken with themselves. Sarah has way more important work to do than spend time on their programs.

December 8, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Lisa

I respect Oprah, but she will never make or break our President. First, I voted for Obama. Second, for a minute during the RNC I thought Sarah Palin MIGHT have something to offer McCain’s campaign. And finally, I have to admit I follow the Palin “tickers” on CNN (as many do obviously). But, my interest is probably sadistic, because I keep reading for the humor. Moose Chili and Moose Dogs – Yes that resonates with the average American voter. Maybe she will run in 2012, I certainly hope it’s as entertaining as her VP run in ’08!

December 9, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  8. Jose in Dallas

Dear CNN,

The governor of Alaska will not be apart of any 2012 ticket if the GOP hopes to win. 69 or more million voted against her. In other words, its not happening. Palin's 15 minutes are up, pleast quit covering this has been? She's simply isn't worth it.

Thanks.

December 9, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  9. Michael

I get to batter Palin from both sides. First, she should stay in Alaska and tend to governing her state. Her trip to FL for the Governors conference was necessary, but her trip to Georgia to campaign for Chambliss was not necessary. After more than two months away from her office, she should devote herself fulltime to her job. On the other hand, there's clearly a Nixonian quality to Palin. She seeks to punish her enemies. However, Oprah isn't an enemy. She's a celebrity who had a valid reason for not interviewing Palin during the campaign. Yet, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Palin wasn't exacting some form of post-election retribution for Oprah's pre-election decision. That's not wise.

December 9, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  10. Michael

December 9, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. Leah from FL

As evidenced by the disaster she makes for herself whenever she has to go off-script, she is waiting on script approval from the RNC before she can memorize her lines and appear in public again!! I beleive the scriptwriters have been busy with the Thanksgiving & Christmas seasons and what not. Perhaps the RNC can pony up some $$$ to get them back to writing for her quickly so she can memorize her lines before the new year.
    Honestly – people, this woman is a joke and 100% unqualified to even be a Parent-Teacher prez.

December 9, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |