December 8th, 2008

Palin didn't snub Oprah, spokesman says

Palin didn't snub Oprah, a spokesman said.
Palin didn't snub Oprah, a spokesman said.

(CNN) – Sarah Palin's camp is denying claims she's is snubbing talk show host Oprah Winfrey, telling CNN Monday the decision was "nothing personal" - the Alaska governor has just been flooded with so many media requests she simply hasn't had the time to sit down with the daytime talk show icon.

“The governor was invited to appear. She was also invited to appear on Letterman, Leno, Stephanopoulos, The Daily Show. She passed on a vast majority of these requests," Bill McAllister, Palin's communications director and press secretary.

"We’re up to about 250 requests for interviews and appearances and so on. It’s worldwide, there’s still a tremendous amount of interest. It’s nothing personal about Oprah, it’s just that she turned down the vast majority of these requests."

A Palin appearance at a later date is still possible, said McAllister: “I’m not aware that it’s been ruled out.”

Winfrey - the popular daytime talk show host and strong Barack Obama supporter - seemed to suggest last week that Palin was deliberately avoiding her show.

"I said I would be happy to talk to Sarah Palin when the election was over…" she said in an interview with the entertainment show Extra. "I went and tried to talk to Sarah Palin and instead she talked to Greta [Van Susteren]. She talked to Matt [Lauer]. She talked to Larry [King]. But she didn't talk to me.”

Winfrey’s comments came in response to rumors she'd refused to offer an invitation to the former vice presidential candidate.

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Matt

If anything wasn't it Oprah that snubbed Palin by stating she did not want her on because she did not want to lend support to a canidate while the election was ongoing. Her far fetched rationalization of this was to say that she only had Barack and Hillary on before because it was still the primaries.

I think Oprah is full of it considering she still won't have her on even now. Oprah made her millions promoting her gender and feminist causes but the moment her gender conflicted with her race she changed her tune and chose her race first.

You don't have to be a fan of Palin or even like her, but it does not change the fact that she is in a position of power in respect. She is in a position that Oprah made her career on promoting women to try and get to. So now that a woman has reached where Oprah once dreamed she won't have that woman on because she is not in the same party? Someone explain Hypocrit to Oprah.

December 8, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  2. bridgette

Oprah was not biased through the campaign. She actually was very smart because she had endorsed a candidate she said she wasn't going to have anyone on her show. But see that's what happens when you own. That's her show and no one can tell her who she can and cannot have on.

December 8, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  3. you cant blink?

I can't even picture palin on the oprah show as being anything near realistic. Why?? Oprah does not invite people who act like that on her show. She hosts the angel network! Oprah invites guests like Maya Angelou, Dr. Phil, celebrated authors. She is one of Obama's biggest supporters. Why the heck would she have Palin on her show? Perhaps to make peace with a person who preached ignorance, lies and hate against Obama on the campaign trail? That is the only thing that I can think of.

December 8, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  4. dsl

Why should Palin go see Oprah?? Oprah can pick & choose when she wants to interview people, so why can't Palin pick & choose when she wants to be interviewed, especially if it's Oprah?? I haven't watched Oprah in YEARS!!! It's not just because she wanted Obama in for president. She's trying to tell everyone what to read, what to eat, how to vote & so on! I don't need someone to tell me, I have a mind of my own, I don't Oprah to run my life!
    Funny how when you get $$$, you automatically get power!!!

December 8, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  5. Change - Yeah Left!

Go Palin! Give back to Oprah what she did to you!!!

December 8, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  6. Perusing-Through

WEBSTER DICTIONARY

Palin, Sarah: = = A gift to comedians that just keeps on giving.

December 8, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  7. linda from South Dakota

for the loveof god.. why doesnt palin crawl in a hole and hibernate for a longggg time???,,, shes history,,, and thats all,, folks!!!!!!

December 8, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  8. Russian

so what? Oprah invited Palin and Palin didn't have time for the show.
    What bothers me, that Sarah sees Russian from Alaska and considers it as foreign policy experience...
    I don't care about any shows, but i do care about the person who is planning to run for the President in 2012 to "drill, baby drill" and to implerment other promises...There is nothing to say about Palin so far but just : "she is so great, she is energizing" GOP". Are you serious??? You, who were born in the most powerful country in the world, working hard and not able to pay off your houses for the rest of your life...Is that what you really need?
    I will turn my head to this folksy candidate only if she will be back to govern her state succesfully, will implement projects she promised, will take care of special needs children, at least her own, will become intelligent, and will take care of her children, pregnant and hopefully, married daughter and high-school- dropped son-in-law

December 8, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  9. Puzzled

Please, Gov. Palin, please do not give legitimacy to this African American woman whose claim to fame is really nothing more than the mercurial gain and loss of weight.

December 8, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  10. Elizabeth, New York

What is wrong with the media??
    Don't we have bigger more important issues than Palin or Oprah??? Frankly, my dear I don't give a dam. I am sick of them both.

December 8, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  11. wally

Sarah is just afraid she might have to answer hard questions.

December 8, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  12. mtmcrae@email.unc.edu

I think we are all tired of hearing about Palin. Despite this, i would love to see her go on Oprah so she can get ripped to shreds. Oprah has too much dignity and poise to do that to her, though, so maybe this is just wishful thinking...

December 8, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  13. Shree Shrestha

Who is Oprah, anyway?

December 8, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  14. Roland

You know, I think Biden is likable and am sure I could enjoy having a beer with him, I am dead set against his policies, but still a decent guy.

But this hatred of Sarah Palin by liberals is simply beyond me. I can only conclude that she strikes a great fear in them, for their hate goes beyond any logical reasoning.

December 8, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  15. Benn

I wouldn't go on Oprah, Letterman or any of the Obama-groupie shows as yet. They couln't give the Governor, the only one with actual executive experience, the time of day during the elections. They could, however, beat the war drum for the Liberal. I think they just want dirt on her in case she decideds to put Obama out in 2012.

December 8, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  16. LVDX

Oprah said she would not have anyone running for office on her show, not even Mr. Obama. NO SNUB AT ALL.

GET THE FACTS RIGHT!

December 8, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  17. Seriously

Paul Mooney: Sarah Palin... Redneck DIVA!!! lol...

December 8, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  18. Richard

Forget about her. She's a has been -no more than a punctuation mark in an ongoing political saga. Giving her any more media attention is like giving media attention to bird droppings that fall on our windshields every day. Clean it up and move on.

December 8, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  19. Necie

Why does palin still have a "camp"? She will go on Oprah when her 15 minutes are up...as long as the media keeps bringing her up, her head will continue to grow..... like my grandma used to say "she's smelling herself".

December 8, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  20. Anonymous

There are important things happening in the world..."Rioting rages in Greece for third day", "3 die on ground as fighter jet crashes, "Stocks rally for a second day", "Congo peace talks open with U.N. plea".
    "Palin didn't snub Oprah, spokesman says", not important!

December 8, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  21. Sian

Oprah, get over your hypocratic self. You are not the universally beloved goddess of all things that you think you are. Millions of us don't watch you or care about you, so deal with it.

And aside from that.... Palin and Oprah sitting down together? That would just be way too much hypocrisy, cluelessness, and self-delusion in one room. Let's not tempt the Four Horsemen, shall we?

December 8, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  22. Troy

Come on now. Can you really blame her. She has to be careful who she talks to from now on. One visit to the Oprah show and it could ruin her.

She thrives in front of crowds of carefully selected Conservatives, but would not be in front of mainstream america.

She might get booed on Oprah and she might also get asked tough questions by Oprah. She is a persona, not a real person.

You have to pick and choose were you will do best.

Its like a prize fighter, you only let them fight with the opponents that will help them build up confidence until they are actually ready for a real fight.....

December 8, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. db

Oh for God's sake.
    Seriously-
    Who cares?

December 8, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  24. Jason

Haven't people recognized that this woman (Palin) is a complete idiot? Media, please stop doing stories on her. This is your responsibility. You have influence in what people know, do the right thing this time.

December 8, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  25. Jenny

I'm not worried about these types of articles, these tend to go away in one day and then we move on to a new one. What worries me is the behavior I have witnessed with Palin's party base. I find it interesting that so much hate and racist comments come from the Christian base of the Republican party. This makes me shudder. We know what happens when religious fanaticism and over-zealous patriotisom meets agression, it is dangerous combination for any country. These people wrap themselves in the flag and God so tightly they can't see the forest through the trees. Palin is playing to the party base with what interviews she chooses. Oprah is not liked by these people because she is perceived as a new age liberal and Palin does not want to be seen pandering to this crowd. This would not go over well with her base.

December 8, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |