December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. Phili

Who cares Rove about naming name. Get loss and get life .

December 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. andrew s. rostolder

you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!!!!! my mother would be proud that i remembered this........

December 8, 2008 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  3. Bob Casero

Dear Mr. Rove,
    Please go back to Texas and take the Village Idiot with you.

And by the way, the reason people are outraged with you is not because you are not "part of the acceptable culture of Washington" it's because you represent the most arrogant, incompetent, and self-serving administration in the history of our country. And the best part is, you're such a horse's behind you don't get it! Or more likely you are just blowhard coward unwilling to take responsibilities for his own actions.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  4. Bob Lees

Please do name names Karl, we need to know the heros of the last eight years. While Rove and Bush were desperately lining the pockets of the oil companies and the military industrial complex there were a few in Washington that sought to derail him. These people are to be commended and Rove should be imprisoned.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  5. JimS.

No Karl, it's because everyone hates you and they don't hate him. It's because he hasn't made a career of winning elections based on scapegoating, hate, and devisiveness; and you have.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  6. TyWebb

Add my name, too please.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  7. LIP

Sour grapes, maybe, but probably not. Yellow journalism has always been first and foremost in politics...it's what sells. Rove can and will name names, but will anyone catre at this point? It's all water under the bridge.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  8. James

Venom must run in his blood. I have only one word to describe this moron. Traitor!

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  9. Susan

Poor, poor Karl, everyone picks on you. I'm sure the despicable, cheating way that you rose to power had nothing to do with the way you were received.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  10. Lost in Texas

"Don't buy books by CROOKS"! Too bad Rove won't be writing this book from prison, or WILL he??

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  11. ben

he was never accepted as president becuase he was never elected as president. He was voted in by the electorate, but the voting sieze created by Rove was illegal. Period. Rove is scum. His comments about Armitage are misleading. Armitage was a "confirmation" source for what Rove released against Plame. This man is a polictical genius, but an evil, evil human who deserves to go to jail for the rest of his life.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  12. AJ

So! Is this meant to hurt people's feelings or something. Hey, Rove...put my name on the list too...

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  13. Bridget

Why is this man not in jail? Oh, that's right, because his buddies refuse to name names.

December 8, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  14. John

Unbelievable. That's you, Karl, in one word. It outweighs all the thousands of words you will put in your book.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  15. AZ Pete

Sounds like Rove up to his usual tricks. Using threats and intimidation, the old 'you're either with us or against us' attitude which served to polarize politics and exclude bipartisanship. An obvious attempt to rewrite history, deflect blame and duck resposibility for the results of his ugly tactics. A thoroughly contemptible individual.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  16. Joe

Good point Ohio. Silence the resistance completely.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Yeah, Turd Blossom became a person of interest because he was a Washington outsider. This is particularly interesting as an explanation of his anti-McCain dirty tricks in the 2000 campaign. Must have been the Washington insiders were anticipating TB's arrival in Washington–a preemptive political war, if you will. Can't wait for Karl's Book of Heroes, although I'll wait to borrow it from my library. His $1.5 million is more than enough.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  18. Left and Gone

This is only the beginning. I suspect much more will come out after Bush leaves office. I love it – name them all!

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  19. wow

Why don't you crawl back under the rock that slithered out of Rove.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  20. JGM

I'm looking forward to your book Karl. But aren't you a bit confused? " I was one of those Texans who came up." You were born in SLC and reared there too.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  21. Patti

Name names? Go ahead, yeah schmuck start listing 70% + of the American public. Make sure I'm on that list – Patti Streeter, Minneapolis.

December 8, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  22. Gracie

CAN WE SAY DIRT BAG? Karl Rove knows he's nothing but a scum bag. WHY this is even news to me is mind boggling.

December 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  23. Robert in Boonville, MO

Sounds to me like those he names should get special recognition as American Heros to me. If I was in there shoes, I'd take PRIDE in not going along with Bush given what he has done to this country.

And, for the record, I never accepted Bush as my President. I firmly believe he should be tried for treason and high crimes.

December 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  24. TC

I guess Karl Rove will be naming the majority of the American people because a lot of us never excepted Bush as a legitimate commander-in-chief. That should be an awful thick book :).

December 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. Maggie SC

I saw the following under Glenn Beck News and it is very scary. I agree with Glenn Beck, why do we need 20,000 troops in our country.
    It seems that there may be an unseen threat on our doorsteps we know nothing about untill too late. The ones against President Bush as Rove says above may be very true. Beck's news item: Pentagon to deploy 20,000 troops inside the U.S. for domestic security.
    The only source I had was I knew that Stars and Stripes wasn't going to print something about the troops that wasn't true, Now, these guys are being deployed for security for chemical, biological, terrorist activity, natural disaster. But this is what the National Guard is for. The reason why our founding fathers said there would be no standing army is because the federal government has no place in your town. The power to order troops, the power to be able to have people with weapons in your neighborhood must not ever be in the hands of the President or the congress. It must be in the hand of the individual governors. Our founders knew this. 20,000 - this is a battalion. This is something entirely new. I hope Rove added the danger of a situation like this occuring. All those movies with take over of our govenrment from inside may not be far from the real thing. Remember there were those who shouted warnings against future daster situatiions so listen.

December 8, 2008 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |