December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. JLH

Pleaser Rove, name them so I can be sure to support them! I guess they know a phony when they see one!

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  2. John E Lexington KY

Karl – PLEASE PLEASE add me to your list of enemies. If you leave me off, my life in the past eight years will seem meaningless. I never accepted the double theft of the presidency, I think you and him and the whole entourage should be exiled to South America and tried for war crimes. I think you are traitors and destroyed the foreseeable future for the entire nation. I think you are terrorists that sponsored a state of horror. Anything more needed to put me on your list? Have a heart.

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. Dan

The reason that Karl Rove and the Bush Administration were so heavily criticized was because they were a complete inept group of politicians. They botched everything they laid their hands on. Take a look at the current economy. It doesn't take a genius to see the devastation that they've reeked upon America. It has nothing to do with the fact that they came to Washington from Texas. Lyndon Johnson never cried about being mistreated because he was from Texas. What a load !

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. Collin Bruck

The political Jose Canseco

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Noah

42 names.....I mean days left....Later Vader

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. Angel

desperate to keep your name out there aren't you?...GO home and rest.

December 8, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  7. Independent voter

Add me too that list, because til this day I still don't believe Bush won the Presidency.

8. PADem

Go away, Rove! The mandate has been handed down. Americans are sick and tired of you and the monkeys you've spent your life marketing.

9. NJ Bob

Karl – Please just go away and be quiet. Your propensity for self adulation and adoration has long since grown tiresome. And now you want to play the "they never liked us" sympathy card in a clearly desperate attempt to remain relevant. Give us all a break. You and your buddies were the architects of some of the most divisive, mud slinging, smear laden brand of poilitics in modern memory. Yes, it won you two elections. And now it has won you nearly universal scorn and rejection. So, hop on in the bed you made and lie in it. Go ahead and name your names. They won't be anything surprising or revealing. You've earned whatever is coming your way.

10. Jim

Valerie Plame can attest to how well Rove can name names...

11. earle,woodstock,vt

Rove's chastising (media,washington belt-way insiders,ets.) the establishment, and pleading his case for the short comings of Bush's administration ruffles my feathers! This contemptible,"conniving diabolical diviate" (political "idiot" guru) is going to "name-names" is an idle threat,reeking of guilt, with overtones of (prostated arrogance) prosecuitory (criminal) implication mounting against himself,....so reminiscent of Hadelman, and Erlickmann from the Nixon years. Please,keep naming, names with your big mouth,dig that hole,yea baby,...

12. Christopher

We have some lovely parting gifts for you, thanks for playing, Buh-Bye.

13. Independent In NY

You can add me to your list Mr Rove

14. Me

Rove, take advice from Bob Marley -

"Before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean"

15. Ken in Dallas

What does he expect this supposed expose to amount to, a list of people who deserve medals? Bush never was an acceptable CinC; he was never even vaguely qualified for the office, yet he never listened to anybody.

The fact that Rove sees Washington, DC, as some kind of extended frat house is more an indication of how Rove does business than how DC does business.

16. JL

He would have to name half of the country, if he wants to name those who don't consider an appointed president legit. How about naming names of people who worked in the administration who violated the law? Oh, wait, that would be the honorable thing to do and he isn't capable of it.

17. David, Chicago, IL

If Karl Rove names names, they will be perceived as heroes. They will be worshiped as standing up to the Bush-Cheney gang.

All hail Karl Rove! :)

18. Dan

The legacy of the Bush era speaks for itself to any one with an open mind and open eyes. Torture, stolen elections, endless war, corruption, incompetence and economic disaster top the list. Rove and his political competence made all of this possible. We should wait for his "enemies list" so we can give them all deserving Congressional Medals of Honor. Any enemy of this president is potentially a friend to America.

19. Michael Bakker

Wah!!! Wah!!! Nobody liked me so now I'll make up stories abouth them!!!

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Chris

add me to the list.

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. dick delson

Karl Rove is garbage. His claim to fame is that he got Bush (The Moron) elected twice. And look what he's done for our country.*

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. The Ronald

Excuse you, Mr. Rove. The majority of Americans didn't accept George W. Bush as a legitimate commander-in-chief!

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. Chuck

From the consummate, don't look at what I do, listen to my spin, my guys are great, everyone else is terrible, Washington politician. Simon and Schuster should demand that he give his 1.5 million and any other dollar earned from this book deal to wounded Iraqi veterans and their families. Even Rove's political ideas were stolen from a book written in 1969 (by Kevin Phillips). Go home and stop talking, no one cares about a man who pulled the strings of a president who was not even elected.

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  24. Pat

Rove can add my name also- Bush is not the legitimate President.
    The guy who won the Nobel Prize also won the White House in 2000.
    Then the guys in black robes robbed him.

December 8, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  25. bhogan

Let me know if you're not sure how to spell my name.

December 8, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |