December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. JB

i can't believe he's being paid for this!!!!!! These folks should be given a medal, considering this was one of the worse presidents in U.S. history.

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  2. Outverb

Karl Rove is slimier than pond scum. The reason people never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief is that he was never a legitimate commander in chief.

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  3. Katie O'Brien

Ho hum......yawn......

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  4. Lisa Quigley

Dear Karl,

Add me to the list too: Lisa
    Quigley.

thanks

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  5. Rick

Why doesn't Karl Rove just go away and crawl back under the rock that he crawled out from

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Diane

In the first place, Bush didn't win the 2000 election. The Supreme Court gave him the job. In the second place, why would anyone believe anything this lying sack of crap says!!!

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

WOW how can I get my name listed?

Why should we have accepted this arrogant moron as president when he won neither election? Anyone with a working brain rejected Bush and his henchmen.

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  8. Rob

Opps Maggie, that's 400 active duty per state. Even I can do the math

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  9. James in Nebraska

Karl Rove reminds me of Eric Cartman. I see a lot of similarities. The fat kid no one likes, always out for himself, etc. But I like Eric and can't stand Karl.

December 8, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  10. Jim Duffy

More whining by Rove. Who cares? He's gone and the country is better without him. Why anyone would buy a book by this guy is a mystery.

December 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  11. Sal

This clown still doesn't get it. Does he think he is going to rescue Dubya's reputation and we are all going to say "Ok, I guess Bush was a fine President"? Hey Rove, it's over! You're finished as so is the Frankenstein monster you created.

Actually, I think he may realize this by now but just wants to make some more money for himself. Pure Rove.

December 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  12. dennis_k

Well, if Karl Rove is going to name names that's good enough for me, because you know HE would never lie!

December 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  13. FactCheck

More blather from the Pillsbury Dough Boy. Hey Karl, try having a salad sometimes.

December 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  14. Jim Madden

Add my name to Rove's list.

It was tantamount to a coup d'etat as far as I was concerned. All you have to do is look at how they sidestepped the Constitution of the United States for the past 8 years and how they strengthened the authority of the executive branch.

December 8, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  15. Alan Douthitt

The evil emperor showing his true colors. Why not use the $ to buy a turkey for a needy family instead of that drivel?

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. Beth from Virginia

Oh, how it galls me to know that Rove is actually going to make big bucks off this book!!

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  17. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Leave Rove alone.

His conscience haunting him is punishment enough.

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Jeff Haas

The one name Karl Rove is likely to leave out is his own, and that's the only name that counts.

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. M

While Bush failed at every test he faced as President of the United State of America, we should all be on Rove's list of those that did not believe in George's attempt to portray himself as a legitmate President. Rove's book should be several hundred thousand pages long, if he needs to print all of these 'examples."

Bush never proved himself as a legitimate President. The above article uses the phrase "commander-in-chief" which does not apply to any past or present President that is not engaged in the military activities of the nation. He was no one's "commander-in-chief" – that is just a highly repeated phrase that aids those who indulge in a militarized, violent vision of the USA. Bush's post was at the White House, stirring up international disgust with phrases like "Let's Roll." He faced difficult times and failed. In his last year, he has given us his free-market-obsessed, ultra-capitalist swan song.

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Scott

Who cares!? Name names, Karl. Since your guy was not elected in 2000, it is understandable that he was disrespected. Can this man please go away?

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Dan

Problem is, Bush was never elected president so in no way was he a legitimate president. Even Justice Conner said she came to regret the supreme court appointment of Bush to the presidency as the worst deciscion the court ever made. Of course that was a purely political decision, again adding to the case that Bush was illegitimate to most of Americans. Even his second term was illegitimate since he would never had been on the ticket if he hadn't been appointed the first time. I never accepted him and really most of us just put up with him and his cronies because, face it, we just don't do revolutions in this country any more. I guess we are just all too comfortable with our good jobs and lifestyles to risk it. The fact he is and his entire gang are incompetent idiots only adds to the disaster he fomented.

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  22. Casey

I've got it, he's going to concatenate America's telephone books!
    Get on a boat, make sure Sarah Palin, George, and dick Cheney are with you and go sailing off the coast of Somalia.

December 8, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  23. Steve Lamb

I can't wait to read this. If there has been a bastion of truth and forthrightness in this abomination, I mean administration, it's Karl Rove.

December 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. We're NOT "your friends"!!!

You can go ahead and add my name, and about half the country to your list Mr. Rove.

Seriously though...who cares!

Obama '12

December 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  25. BenderHeel

The press didn't go after Armitage because he's not a duschebag like Karl Rove. It's not an insider-versus-outside thing as he tries to frame it. If he really believes that reasoning, then he's quite delusional.

December 8, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |