December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. sandee in Portland

I wouldn't believe one thing this guy says, whether he puts it in a book or not. Now he's going to try to make us believe he and the Bush regime were mavericks and the reason we're in the shape we're in is because they were such outsiders that they couldn't get anyone to go along with their wishes. This, after all the lies he's repeatedly said. Go figure, his party still believes if you say it often enough, the public will believe it.

December 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  2. JAS

And so it starts... Let the spinning commence!

With the sunset of the Bush administration, the insiders are all lining up their scapegoats as to why the administration was, for the most part, a dismal failure. Rove is but one of several current and former Bush administration officials taking one of two routes, either proclaiming their "mea culpas" or putting their own personal spin on history to paint the Bush presidency (and their roles in it) in a more favorable light.

Rove's threat to "name names" sounds like a pretty empty threat to me... I'm betting that his list will make those on it quite popular and prestigious! The fact that he is publishing the names of those he considers enemies of both himself and the Bush administration simply reinforces my previous impressions of him; a vindictive man with delusions of grandeur, now removed from the world stage to an inconsequential role as a Fox commentator, once more seeking the lime-light.

December 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. TexasAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Karl sounds like the paranoid nutcase he evidently is. Whine, whine, whine... they didn't like me. Whine, whine, whine... they treated me mean. Grow up Karl. But I guess you'll take your millions & write your tattle-tale book- like the 5 year old you are.

Maybe there was a reason people didn't accept you or like you, Karl.... did you ever think of that?????

Let's face it, you're just not a very likable person.

(God, I hope you don't come back to Texas with your fruitcake boss, Georgie.)

December 8, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  4. Anonymous

One of the reasons Bush was not accepted as president is because he did not witn the popluar vote in 2000 and despite the extraordinary intervention of the Supreme Court to install him he and his cronies made no effrot to include anyone other than his band of crooks in the administration of his outlaw regime.

December 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  5. buckeye man

Ooooooh, Karl's gonna name names!

Name me Karl, name me! What an honor that would be to be on your enemies list!

December 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  6. Love My USA/Do You?

THIS is GREAT! There should be and out right investigation into the Senate and Congress. I don't care if the are Repub. Or Dem. Left or Right/// The taxpayers have had enough. We need to clean house, and we need to start now knowing the names when they try to run again. The democrats sweep Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac under the rug, WHY??? We want the names of everyone that was responsible for what we the taxpayers are now experiencing due to their stupidity and

December 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  7. BEK

Does anyone care what Karl Rove thinks? He could likely make a much shorter list by naming those who actually thought George Bush did have any credibility as President.

December 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  8. Franky

What are you talking Rove?? Do you know what people think of you and the administration? And last time I checked, Republicans took control of Congress...not until 2006 they were gone! What are you gonna name, huh? How you got your feelings hurt because in 2002 you boy(GOP) never agreed with you? Or how you got upset because the boys didn't have your back?? And by the way, I'm not the one being questioned about our constitution, just so you know...

December 8, 2008 11:38 am at 11:38 am |
  9. david

Karl.... count me in on that list!!!

December 8, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  10. Accountability

Rove ought to be in jail-give him plenty of time to work on his book.

December 8, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  11. Jason

While he may be correct that the criticisms the president and his aides took were PARTLY because they were not part of the Washington establishment, Mr. Bush and his administration are for the MAJORITY criticized because of their lack of foresight, accountability, honesty and integrity.

So go ahead and name names Karl, and be sure and add mine to the list.

December 8, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  12. Marc Seattle, Wash

Can we please just be done with the Bush stories! To hear his name makes me sick!!

December 8, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  13. Andrew

Oh, stop whining, Mr. Rove. You made your bed. Just because because you're writing a nasy little book doesn't mean we're all going to start feeling sorry for you.

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. M.R. in L.A.

Name the heroes Karl – tell us who never drank the Kool-Aid and never bought into you and your boss' BS. I'm counting on Sen. Boxer to be in that list. She's always seemed pretty wise to me.

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  15. RinFL

The re-telling of history by Rove will be an interesting fiction I am sure.
    My guess is that Bush was never accepted as a legitimate commander-in-chief because,...ugh..well...ugh.....Florida 2000?
    Besides every one knows that Cheny pulled the strings from his "undisclosed locations".

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  16. Becky

Who listens to this Idiot? he should be in Jail for all I know!
    you are invisible, US politics have moved on to better places!

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  17. Jon Webb

Maybe part of the reason some people didn't accept Bush as a legitimate commander-in-chief is that he wasn't actually elected.
    Oh, and there's also the fact that he violated the Constitution.
    Just guessing, but that sort of thing tends to get some people riled up.

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Los

Translation: "It's not my fault; blame these people instead!"

Man, these guys really are a bunch of cowards.

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  19. S Jennings

The idea that Mr. Rove was not an insider is laughable. Let's not forget that he starting working for the RNC when he was in knee britches (a move up from the College Republicans), and started working on Senate campaigns as early as high school. Sure, he built his early career with campaigns based in Texas (his marriage to a wealthy Texan, plus connections to the Bushes), but he was well entrenched with Washington establishment through Senate campaigns for John Ashcroft, Phil Gramm, and John Cornyn. This administration is clearly spinning through the end – an inconspicuous ending that belies the failures of this presidency.

December 8, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  20. Red, North Carolina

Take a look around Karl...people can't by food and heat their homes right now...who is going to plunk down good hard earned money to hear you whine about what an outcast you were because you weren't from Washington? You and your fellow Bush cronies created the "Washington inside" for God's sake. Get over yourself.

December 8, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  21. Karl Rove is a criminal, too

Give me a break. Karl Rove belongs in prison with Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld. Maybe they should all share a room since they like each other so much. Send a clear message to Rove; don't buy this book.

December 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  22. Shawn

Karl Rove needs to shut up. He is one of the most corrupt people of our generation. Maybe he should write a book about that.

December 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  23. Susan, Fort Pierce, Florida

Bush was never a "legitimate" president. What a joke this man is!

December 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  24. MR. Understanding

And I'm the man on the moon too. Rove is living in a fantasy world.

December 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  25. Jim

Fantastic! I want to know every single one of these people so I can send them a thank you card. My only question is how many volumes will this book be, it could be a long list.

December 8, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |