December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. Tom Marshall

Wouldn't it be easier to just name the people who LIKE bush?

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. Laurens R. Hunt

I’m unsure what I think is most contemptible about Karl Rove, except that I cannot cover it all. The exposure of Valerie Plame is a sufficient level of felony to warrant the death penalty although it is true that Karl Rove is not exclusively culpable. Mr. Roves campaign tactics were insidious beyond description. During 2004 some economists were raising the concern of a housing and credit bubble. At the same time Karl Rove was talking about a constitutional amendment banning abortion, trying to eliminate Roe vs. Wade, and add another US Constitutional Amendment banning flag burning. The war in Iraq was already proving to be a disaster with increasing fatalities, out of control spending, and no deployment strategy whatsoever. Mr. Rove never addressed any of these developments. Perhaps a few supporters will buy Mr. Roves book, but everyone else will see his true colors.

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. SHIRLEY "60"

Not only is Bush not all there, but so is Rove.

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  4. Razor Willy

DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK OR ANY OTHER CRAP FROM THIS BUNCH.

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Dan

@ TommyF, 1:09 p.m.

We come out in droves because our country is in shambles.

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. andrea from MA

bush was a non existent entity to me !!!!!!!!!!!!

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. BBB

I don't know how much this jerk's book will be selling for... but whatever the price, that's money I will save because I won't be buying it!

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  8. jaqphule

I count only 4 positive mentions for Rove out of 108.

Make that 109. I hope you used very small fonts, Turd Blossom, in order to get all the names in. I can only hope you included me!

I also hope your publisher loses their shirt on your advance. Public libraries and the most bored of the remaining Bush supporters with cash to

"Commander in Chief" is a military role over the armed forces during times of declared war. He was never the commander-in-chief of the vast majority of Americans. Neither will Obama be. This ridiculous notion of "my president, right or wrong" has got to stop.

Excepting for the strict and explicit powers enumerated in the constitution, the president SHOULD be ignored at every turn. The office of the President of the US has more power than the sickest power-mad fantasy of deranged imperial militancy.

The best thing that George W. Bush ever did as president was to show us, just like Nixon did in 1973, that having a president at all can be worse than having none. Unfortunately, it will be a lesson quickly forgotten again. I hope that some of those who opposed Bush have as much courage to oppose the new Obama regime.

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  9. ScrewNamingNames

This is just too funny for me. For one, no one gives a crap – we all know that Washington is crooked, how is naming names going to change that? For two, EVERYONE thinks Bush is a moron, so naming those who said it first is actually a compliment. Way to defeat your purpose Rove, these people are glad to be in your book as Bush Non-Supporters – you just boosted their careers instead of stifling them.
    Ahahahaha

December 8, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  10. Craig- Easton, PA

Hey Karl, add me to the list.

December 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Raeford NC

Everyone says Bush was the worst president in history. I don't think he was. He kept things going after 9/11 and all the hurricanes. Sure, things didn't go 100% smoothly but we're still alive and breathing, and better than 90% are still employed and have jobs.

December 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  12. Kevin

Go for it Karl. Expose these Bush bashers for what they are, liars and deceivers. Now that Obama the squirrel is in now the Obama bashers will have plenty to use and expose. Obama will certainly be the worst President ever (even worse than Jimmy) and cause this country to go down as immoral, corrupted, and bankrupt. I can't wait until 2012 elections and watch the incompetent Democrat Congress clowns get shoved out in large quantities. They haven't accomplished much the past two years and they never will. Maybe they will finish off the financial standing of this country. Dodd and Frank really started it off in that direction and Obama will continue it.

December 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  13. Thomas

So Karl Rove is a victim too.

The kid has nerve that's for sure.

I seem to remember America giving Bush a fair chance at the start of his first term (way better than what happened to Clinton). We were behind him until he started to make mistakes.

We did not hate him because he was from Texas, we hate him because he was not a very good president. We don't hate him for where he came from, we hate him for what he did/did not do

December 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  14. Gary of El Centro, Ca

Will he be giving out a free bucket of slime with the purchase of every book?

December 8, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. Proud American from New England

Add me to that list. I think George Bush has committed war crimes and treason. I firmly believe that the disaster currently unfolding in America is the fault of his crazed war mongering and utter failure of leadership. January 20, 2009 can't come soon enough. Hopefully Bush will no longer be able to screw America after he is out of office. I hope that he is someday held accountable for his lies and treachery by a court of law.

December 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. jeff

This comment list is nearly unanimous in its disdain for Mr. Rove, with many using words like sniveling, whiny, idiot, liar, and criminal, among others. Like him or hate him (lemme guess...), he's telling his story. Here, he's being shouted down before the first copy rolls off the press. I guess freedom only applies to some speech.

If President Bush's standing was indeed substantially undermined by anyone in the US government, it's possible those efforts had or may yet have far-reaching and significant negative effects on our nation and/or the world. That story is at least worth listening to, whether it implicates Dems or Reps. So shut your mouths and open your eyes, ears, and minds.

December 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. Big Pete

Karl Rove --–hear are some tissue's to cry in.
    --– Dick Chenny & others in the White House ranks
    have worked with past presidents. Dick Chenney goes all the way back to Richard Nixon

December 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. Galoot

Too bad he can find the onions to speak under oath about some other matters concerning the current administration.

December 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  19. MGB in Houston

HEY ROVE....add my name to the list of those who did not accept Bush as the legitimate President. He wasnt, isnt, and never will be.

December 8, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  20. Spikerz123

Calling him names sinks to his level. DO NOT BUY this book!! Ostracize anyone who does! Anyone know his email address? Publish it and then encourage everyone you know to send him their names to be added to the book.

December 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. The Other PB

I agree with Matt, Chris and countless others below – why can't this man just shut his piehole? *Rove* is the one who is "increasingly irrelevant" these days.

December 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. sldrfrmva

Who cares what Rove has to say. He was part of the corrupt administration who cared less about the country and more about self interests. Only 6 weeks and we finally take our country back. Rove and the administration should all end up in jail for war crimes and violating the sovereignty of a nation that posed no true threat to our country. I served in that war and would again if told to do so, but as a citizen I know it was wrong.

December 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. D

So, according to Rove, it's ok to commit a crime if someone else commits it at the same time? Just because there were multiple leakers in the Plame case, not being the first one is no defense.

December 8, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. Jim

I accepted Bush as President until he proved himself to be a lying nincompoop.

December 8, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. From the West

Please, America, don't buy his books, no matter what he writes.
    As Nancy Reagan once said, "Just say NO."

December 8, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |