December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. RWB_Seattle

Well, of course Bush was not well-accepted as commander-in-chief....because he is an idiot. Everyone with at least half a brain (a group which does not include Karl Rove) has known that for 8 years now. Thankfully, in a little over a month, we'll have a literate, intelligent president for a change.

December 8, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  2. Paul

Just because you were voted in as the president does not give you the qualifications to do the job.
    Rove is trying to rewrite history. He knows once Bush is out of office all the fingers will be pointed at him.
    I actually feel sorry for Bush. He couldn't help it people actually were stupid enough to vote for him.

December 8, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. Angie-OHIO

who cares what this jerk has to say. he's a loser and so is bush. all bush people should just go back into the holes they came out of 8 years ago.

December 8, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. AKP

If Rove is going to name everyone that didn't view Bush as a LEGITIMATE commander-in-chief, then this will be the longest book ever. Maybe he should just consider submitting every city's phonebook instead.

December 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  5. Rich

I think it's worth mentioning that his defense that he wasn't the FIRST person to reveal the identity of a covert agent, doesn't mean he didn't reveal the identity of a covert agent for political reasons....

Only morons believe anything he says.....

December 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  6. waukone, WI

What I would buy is a book about Cheny's role in the last 8 years.

Unfortunately I wouldn't believe his version without him being under the influence of a truth drug or independent collaboration of the facts.

December 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  7. Susan, California

I'm only interested in the names he didn't name when he broke the law by refusing to honor the Subpoena he was served with.

December 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Thomas

Mr. Rove, you are without honor or decency. In other words, Sir, you are a coward.

December 8, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. not a fan

Well, when you have to have your Supreme Court friends steal the presidency for you, it's only natural that people don't accept you as a legitimate leader, Karl. And I don't remember you being exonerated for exposing Valerie Plame as a CIA agent, you scumbag.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  10. Leah from FL

Never fear Rove, as one of his final "acts", there is still time for a Bush prez pardon for ya, Cowboy.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  11. VOTED! OBAMA!!! VOTED! OBAMA!! VOTED!

Name names Rove but I have to admit that is going to be one helluva long book given most of the American public names will be in there. Make sure you spell my name right.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. peter

Count me in Rove.I am tired of your fearful tactics over these past eight go home in Texas and enjoy some of your Borritoes with your sidekick Bush.I hope I will never see your face again on the news media because evry time I see your comment it make me sick to my stomach.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. Cristine C.

I would be proud to be named as a person that never accepted Bush as the true president – and this is because he is NOT the true president! All you Republican crackers can scoof all you want at this, but maybe if you ever read a book or listened to any news other than Fox, you might learn a little something about how that all went down in 2000...

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. robby King

What a great American Karl Rove. His book will be #1 on my reading list I just hope it comes out soon.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  15. Sarah, Northern Colorado

There is no wolf, Mr. Rove. Now please go home and let the good townsfolk alone.

December 8, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. Kevin, AK

I just wish more people in Washington really had rejected Bush as illegitimate. Most went right along with him, including the Democrats.

December 8, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. Ethan

CNN = sensationalism to profit the worst people in the world.

December 8, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  18. PAC

Karl who?

December 8, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  19. ueheinz

Why is it a bad thing to be known you resisted Bush???

December 8, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. Ken in Dallas

Anthony,

9/11 was on Bush's watch, and he dismissed prior warnings of it, from Richard Clarke, and others. Bush owns that one.

What about the bogus war we've spent $750B and more than 4000 lives on, that will never yield us any commensurate benefit?

What about the bad monetary policy implemented to fund the war, you know, the one that basically paid banks to swindle mortgage borrowers?

How about the unprecedented invention of so-called "free-speech zones?" You'll find that presidents who believe in the Constitution view the entire USA as one big giant free speech zone. What, you believe in the Second Amendment, but not the First?

The atrocities of Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo, that caused most of the US casualties that occurred in Iraq?

The pitiful neglect of border security that has fostered the rise of open-range and urban drug wars, and turned northern Mexico into a failed state?

The culture of knee-jerk secrecy and "emperor has no clothes" sycophancy?

Which of these would you lay at the feet of Democrats, who have had real control of Washington for only two of the past 38 years?

Incidentally, Rove's probably being underpaid: naming all the people who knew better than to trust Bush for $1.5M comes to about 2 cents a name, doesn't it? Who's going to want, or be able, to buy a book with 100 million names in it, anyway?

December 8, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  21. Mark

Don't just name them, Karl – engrave them in marble. That's an honor roll you're listing.

December 8, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  22. Andrew

Rove, nobody is interested in you bashing people once you and your team are gone. Nobody wants any of the mudslinging and finger pointing. This is just irrelevant noise created only for the sole purpose of political posturing. Your time is over. You are out. Just move on. And I hope you and your kind never come back.

December 8, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  23. Sherrol

Karl Rove needs to disappear.

December 8, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  24. Butch Dillon

Who would buy such a book? After all, everyone across the globe hates Bush.

December 8, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |