December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. Janel

Maybe Congressinal Medals of Honor could be stretched to accomodate all those bad, bad people. I would like to see who they are but refuse to buy the book - Karl Rove has gotten enough from this country. But then again, watch Fox News – I am sure they will give the book all the "recogniiton" it needs. Sean, Bill and the rest of the bottom feeders over there will have to have something to occupy their empty hours now that their direct conduit to the White House is being capped. Maybe he should talk to a congressional committee – oh, wait, he is immune.

December 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Jack O'Connor

The "insiders" in Washington probably didn't accept Bush as their president because he wasn't elected president. He stole the election in an apparently forgotten bloodless coup.

December 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. dracine

Does anyone think it is funny that the author of this posting says, "Cox News" instead of Fox News? haha

December 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Clint

Naming names of people who did not accept President Bush as Commander-in-Chief? Is he Kidding???? This is unbelievable even coming from Mr. Rove. All Americans accepted President Bush as commander-in-chief. We know this because so many thousands of Americans in uniform gave up their lives on the order from President Bush. We know this because President Bush was elected to a second term as our nations president. I think what Mr. Rove should have said is he will name the name of people who disagreed with Bush policies. This is just his means of attempting to ruin the careers of people who did not agree with him and President Bush.

I am appreciative of these people Mr. Rove wants to "out". If they were not there being a thorn in the side where might we be now?

Many of the President Bush's policies destabilized more of the world in more ways than discussed in the daily media. Almost demanding that Japan strengthen its military has shaken the stability in east Asia. China, South Korea, and North Korea have long standing fears regarding a militarily strong Japan, and for good reason. It seems that only us Americans have an abbreviated memory.

Treating Russia as an insignificant country has had some negative consequences of some enormity. Shoving our allies interests to some obscure locale in his policy making process has made our historically inexorable friendships unsure and placed the United States in a kind of isolated state.

So yes, I appreciate those who caused some pause in President Bush's policies. We could have been far worse of than the horrendous situation we currently find ourselves.

December 8, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  5. KenS

No, Karl.

The reason there was less interest after it came out that Armitage had been the original leaker is that he is viewed as a man of integrity, and that HIS leak was completely unintentional.

As opposed to you and Libby, who purposely did everything you could to expand the leak, knowing that since the actual leak was prior, you would not be on the hook for breaking the law.

It comes down to the difference between integrity and YOU!

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. Mick in PA

Ahh, Mr Rove using his old tactic of fear to address the……well who actually listens to this guy now? And add my name to the book! I'm definitely guilty of being "unreceiving" of Bush as President. I'll even save Rove the research and provide my own list of examples to “incriminate“ myself. The date range for my acts of insolence are: Jan. 20, 2001, through and including Jan. 20, 2009. Let's all cheer that the rein of Dufus-In-Chief is soon coming to an end!!!

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. pat napolitano

Karl Rove....Icould care less what you think and whom you name. It seems you are no more loyal than the rest of the Washington group. Don't leave yourself out when you talk about back stabbing people.

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  8. Left Coast Mike, Laguna Niguel, CA

Yes, of course he will "name names", as long as you are willing to pay for it. Compliance with a Congressional Subpoena is another matter, of course, since Congress doesn't pay you to appear and testify. Rove is the ultimate representation of Republican scum, a traitor who would sell his mother for 30 pieces of silver. I hope he gets indicted next year and is prosecuted to the fillest extent of the law. Just because he doesn't follow the law doesn't make him immune for his conduct while in thw White House. I present to you Richard M. Nixon.

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. johny

Name names? You mean the people who stood up to the Bush administrations suspension of the constitution? those who questioned the spying on our neighbors? Going to war with dishonest intelligence? Gitmo? GW won the election by a hair's breath and called it a political capital – come on people. Let him name names, I am sure there are some real heroes in that list.

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Dave

Gov. Bush was never the legitimate president because he lost the first election. And as for Mr. Rove, he and his friends ARE the Washington establishment.

December 8, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  11. Mike in Oahu

Boo hoo hoo. Who are the whiners now?

You had your moment in the sun and you toasted the country with it. Your best bet is to get out of dodge before the new sheriff arrives.

December 8, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  12. lu

While I don't consider George W. Bush as a great president he and I do believe his first term legitimacy will always be questioned for obvious reasons... President Bush has certainly not been the worst president ever. What about Andrew Jackson who perpertrated genocide on Native Americans? Or Andrew Johnson who was impeached and failed to uphold the reconstruction efforts after the civil war and helped along sharecropping and other new forms of freed-slavery. Point is there are plenty of others who dealt with the hands they were given much worse. To say he was the worst shows either a lack of historical knowledge or a purposeful disregard in order to promote an agenda or talking points.

December 8, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  13. Dave in Leesburg

Karl is my hero. Give em Hell

December 8, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Pins and Needles

Great News the Political Slander Wars are on

Pins and Needles waiting for the attack and counter-attacks

Reacy to Rumble!

December 8, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. Dan

To TommyF:

"If liberals focused more on their own lives than chasing shadows they might just learn something."

I understand what you're trying to say here but I would add that liberals should also learn to focus less on themselves and more on what they can do to help others just as Karl Rove has done for years.

You have made some great points. You and I seem to be the only conservative voices out here. It's good to step away from Fox News and spread some wisdom to those in need.

December 8, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  16. PJP

Thanks Stephen, I could not have said it better myself!

December 8, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  17. Peter

Print it on the soft paper so that we can at least use it as toilet paper...

December 8, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  18. Carl Justus

Why did wait until now to get honest??
    Maybe it was the book he wants to sell and make millions, so he is now honest and above board. He had more than 6 years to name names, where was he then, part of the crowd that was protecting the lies of the administration.

December 8, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  19. Kelly

I agree with what most of you have to say. I have never considered Bush as my President and as for Karl, just go away!!

December 8, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  20. Red, Red WHINE!!

Stephen December 8th, 2008 2:32 pm ET

In 2 years or less…. We will have experienced the un-experienced running the country in President Barrak "Delona-Hussein" "Obama-Clinton". His ideas are from the past, using a staff of old Clinton administration folks. All Washington establishment all……. By the way. 9/11 happened after 9 months of President Bush's presidency (and 8 years of Clinton being in control with no idea what was beyond "I did not have sex with that woman….. BUT after 7.3/4 years of President Bush there has be NO attacked on US soil. Thank you !!! President Bush…
    ------------------
    LMAO! Prior to 9/11...we hadn't been attacked on american soil for 60 years. Even CARTER didn't allow us to be attacked. It took FOUR planes to get past Bush...it took 6 carriers and close to 400 planes 60 years prior to attack us. Oh hell yea, Bush was brilliant! Keep believing your fairy tales you idiot!

December 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  21. Anonymous

....or maybe it wasn't that he was an outsider to Washington DC circles...maybe because the current administration, of which Mr. Rove was a part, was never fully accepted by the American public, as they lied to and manipulated the American public; smarminess and deception are not qualities to be admired.
    Time to step down Mr. Rove, you have no power here.

December 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  22. Billy J , TX-

I am sorry it took so long for the country to realize what a bunch of crooks and incompetents these guys were. And as a side note, I live in Central Texas where this nimrod is from. Word is his daughter told him not to come to Thanksgiving, (now that he is back in town) because she likes having the rest of the family there, and they won't come if he does. He is that icky.... even his own family can't take him. And I am sure this is not political, it is just plain personal. He is personally wanting as is the rest of that crew from here that went up there.

December 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  23. Dan

These same folks are the one demanding that conservatives give Obama a chance and embrace him as the President. That, we will do, because, as a conservative, I am open-minded and tolerant of those not like me.

December 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  24. Robert

Go back to Texas and shut up!

December 8, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  25. michael, AZ

Rove is irrelevant and a proven liar who has no ethics. He was the mastermind behind one of the worst , most secretive, and most damaging administrations ever. What he says is of little significance to anyone and I doubt anyone is listening.

December 8, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |