December 8th, 2008

Rove vows to 'name names'

Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.
Rove says he will name his enemies in a new book.

(CNN) – Enemies of President Bush take heed: Karl Rove is set to name names.

The man widely credited with Bush's two presidential victories says his new book will include an accounting of those in Washington who never accepted the president as a legitimate commander-in-chief.

"I've got behind-the-scenes episodes that are going to show how unreceiving they were of this man as president of the United States," Rove told Cox News in an interview published Sunday. "I'm going to name names and show examples."

Rove signed a deal with publishing giant Simon & Schuster last year, reported be worth over $1.5 million.

In the wide-ranging interview, Rove also suggested the criticisms the president and his aides took were partly because they were not part of the Washington establishment.

"You'll notice there was outrage when it was thought that I was the person behind outing Valerie Plame. And then when it came out that it was the sainted [Deputy Secretary of State] Richard Armitage, there was no interest," Rove said. "I don't remember seeing anybody camped out on his doorstep like they were camped out on mine. [It's]because he was part of the acceptable culture of Washington, and I was not. I was one of those Texans who came up. He was one of those perpetual I'll-scratch-your-back-if-you'll-scratch-mine Washington leakers. "

Filed under: Karl Rove
soundoff (1,676 Responses)
  1. vahe

crook

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  2. Bill

He never was the legitimate commander in chief, Karl! So name away. You seem so bitter these days.

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  3. Dave F

A legitimate president wins the elections, he does not steal them. When the Supreme Court decides elections, it is easy to see why the results are not as acceptable to over half of the people.

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  4. Brian

Karl Rove has become synonomous w/ the politics of division, falsehood & deceit. Let him "name names" of those who don't accept him & the likes of him (Ann Coulter, Russ Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, et al). Few are paying any attention.

As for George W......He seems to be a good husband and father, probably a great guy to have a beer with @ the bar , or to go huntin' with, but he had no business being President. & never would have been w/out the help of Rove & others who misused their political talents to put him there. He was like the proverbial "turtle on a fence post": couldn't have gotten up there himself, and didn't know what to do once he got there.

The voters spoke in November. Karl Rove & those of his mentality are no longer influential. It's a shame they ever were.

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Tiff of lithia springs

UHHH! Maybe because Bush didn't in the minds of many Americans win the election legitimately. YOU THINK!

Maybe because his invasion of Iraq was based on absurd evidence!

Maybe because his VP was making money hand over fist at Halliburton and had more to do with the invasion than evidence.

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. Bill A

Poor Carl...He's the modern day Lee Atwater.A bad person...

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Trish

Duh. Add me to the thousands who never accepted Bush as President. I went so far as this...I never bought Bush Baked Beans, and I never will.

Because of the name.

Since Barack Obama has been elected, I have looked forward to calling a respected person "President" again.

Is Rove kidding? Who cares if he names names? LOL. I guess Fox thought this was big news. Since CNN is carrying this on the ticker, I guess they do, too.

Bush – early on – was the worst President we've had in the history of our nation.

Karl – Dude – go retire somewhere near your so-called leader. The world is over you.

And him.

December 8, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. BKrause

I was under the impression that Rove came from Utah – Salt Lake to be precise. My wife went to high school with him and reports that he was as full of it then as he is now.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. grahame

Oh Really! Look in the dictionary under hypocrite and see Carl (Anybodies fault but mine ) Rove's picture. Bet he's be on the Sarah Palin band wagon soon as he can say spit.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  10. Hunter

My God....this man is amazing. If he names names of those who opposed Bush, they should be part of CNN's "Heros" list.

Rove was an unelected creep who ignored any sense of decency to foster the Bush administration's policy.... and he got away with it for years.... now he's a "Commentator" on TV.
    God help us all.
    Let the Obama team wash away these last 8 years of madness in our country.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  11. D.Fitzpatrick

He's going to list all the people who thought Bush would incompetent? How many volumes will that take?

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  12. TC

Boo hoo Carl. Like anyone cares. Millions of us didn't want Bush in office. You are just trying to remain relevant, to no avail. Don't go away mad, just go away

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  13. Ashley

The idea that the Bush administration was not accepted because they are Washington outsiders from Texas is perhaps one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. If indeed they were "not accepted" it was because of their corruption, their tendency to break laws and to exploit their power... oh, and the fact that they wreaked havoc on our economy,military families, the people of Iraq, and our international reputation. Many thanks to the Bush administration, a legacy to be proud of.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  14. FreeNLovIt

You know, for eight years, W got everything he wanted whether or not PEOPLE accepted him or not. So I dont know what's the big deal. It's not that they were not part of the Washington establishment, that people oppose them, it's the FOOLISHNESS AND RECKLESS behavior of not providing solid leadership. One word sums the leadership: Katrina.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. Maggie

Good for Karl Rove. It's about time someone in the party stands up for themselves and tells the truth.
    History will show in due time what a great President George W. Bush was.

December 8, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  16. CopperGal

Could it be that the Washington establishment thought him immature with a gross lack of knowledge? There will be some Washington establishment who will be glad to be on the list, like people in the 60's were glad to be on Nixon's "Enemies" list.. The book will just list people who saw through Bush's bravado and saw his lack of ability to lead.

December 8, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  17. roy

Perhaps Rove's book will get a plave of honor at the new Bush Library! I wonder if he will name his OWN name as the founder of the dirtiest Presidential campaigns in history. Evidently it is not just Dubya who has started playing 'CYA' as fast as they can now that they are lame ducks. I am sure Rove's book will be a best seller....in Texas!

December 8, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  18. Scott NYC Independent

Add me to that list – he was given the election by the supreme court one election season and stole it the other. He was never ever been the true president of this country, he screwed up everything and you are just as responsible as he is for the mess we are in. And by God I wish somebody would be sent to JAIL

December 8, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Phil NY

Hey Karl !
    Don't bother naming names of those who didn't accept Bush as legitimate commander-in-chief.

90 percent of the American people didn't accept him as the legitimate comander-in-chief.

What are you going to do..publish the phone book ?????

December 8, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  20. helen chadwick

Rove has no creditability because of the habitual falsehoods
    he spreaded and condomed.

December 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Bill Harris

If Karl wants more names of people who did not consider Bush legitimate, have him call me. I can probably give him at least a thousand

December 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Glen

I am once again amazed at the desire to re-write history from this self-serving liar and manipulator. I hope there is a large eough rock for his ego to crawl under once he leaves the white house. They'll have to fumigate, no doubt, before anyone else can use the place...

December 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  23. Nathan

Interesting and valid point about Plame.

December 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  24. David Newport, OR

money money money money...whatever I need to do to make money. Hey...It's 1.5 mil...I will name names of those who (rightfully) disagree with my views.

December 8, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |