December 9th, 2008

Blagojevich free on $4,500 bail

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich appeared in court Tuesday afternoon to hear corruption charges against him. Bail was set at $4,500, and Blagojevich was then released on his own recognizance.

He also had to forfeit his passport.

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. john from sandiego

Illinois has replaced New York and New Jersey as Americas' favorite corruption State...

December 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  2. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I guess he can't go all that far then... I do have to say that little money for bail is disturbing really. Corruption is something that should have more of a sting to it.

December 9, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  3. FreeNLovIt

This is so stupid. How come they didnt do this to Palin when she was running around for VP?

December 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  4. TREY

what a snake!!

December 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  5. Melissa

Great! Now he still has time to get in there and cause some more trouble before the end of the year!
    -Danville, IL

December 9, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Thomas

Pride goes before the fall.

December 9, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  7. Pat F

This whole story has to be a mistake. Everyone on this blog knows that only Republican are crooks, never Democrats! Like when Karl Rove was thought to be the one who outed Valerie Plame, it was a capital offense. When it was found to be Richard Armitage, it was a non-story. When Ted Stevens was convicted, it was "HANG HIM HIGH"! When William Jefferson was convicted, it was "who doesn't have thousands of dollars in their freezer?"

YES, WE CAN buy a senate seat from a Democrat!!

December 9, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. ANGIE

Thats it! if that were me I wouldnt get Bail! If I did it would probably be a million dollars!

December 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. KM

$4500? That's it?

December 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. GA Independent

You're kidding? $4,500? Maybe I need to start believing when people say that the justice system in Chicago is completely corrupt... They charge more than that here in the backwoods of GA when someone is DUI...

December 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. Isaac

Boy, the 13% of Illinois citizens that approve of Blago are going to be upset today...

December 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Mary from Sarasota FL

I have never heard such "d-rt-y " talk from one mouth in my life.
    What is wrong with this Governor. and he was re-elected?
    I was born & raised in Chicago, IL so I have some notion of what its like to see corruption unleashed but it appears he has gone round the bend. No connection with the former Senator either as far as we can determine.

December 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. red

4500 bail??? that is crazy how abou5t 700 billion dollar bail

December 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  14. President Obama/VA

Out of jail for $450 bucks. When I go to jail I can't even get a bond. I guess politicians get special treatment. I wonder if Plaxico Burress will receive a cheap bond like that.

December 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  15. Nick

That's it? An episode of Law and Order recently had Det. Lupo being released on a $20,000 bond.

Yes, I get my criminal law knowledge from Law and Order.

December 9, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. Ardyth

In reading the blogs, I'm constantly dismayed to see the comments using the phrase "to all intensive purposes" – folks, the phrase is "to all inTENTS and purposes". So when you start winding up with "interesting" comments, keep that in mind.

December 9, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  17. Adam Habib Dallas, TX

As a democratic supporter, I am apalled. He should be in prison. Zero tolerance for corruption. PERIOD.

December 9, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. CHANGE HAS COME TO AMERICA - FINALLY!!!

Bail was set at $4,500...that's it?

December 9, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  19. J S Ragman

Let's see now, some young (or old) person is caught selling an ounce of marijuana and his bond is set at $100,000 and this piece of crap (Blagojevich) is caught trying to extort what might be hundreds of thousands of dollars, and his bond is $4500? Give me a break!

December 9, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Sherrol in Canada

$4,500 bail is a joke. Is that really the going rate? Let's just hope he isn't suicidal and rob the people of Illinois the justice they deserve.

December 9, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Joyce

What's with Chicago and it's Governors? Didn't this one replaced another corrupt one?
    I just read the whole story. It's disgusting how this man tried to milk his position.
    I say they hold a special election for Obama's post. That'll be the logical and right thing to do.

December 9, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. Dave in Leesburg

I smell Watergate. Let the real newshounds do their job and they'll find the trail back to the 'messiah'.

December 9, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. red state mom

He is one greedy SOB, he should not get any bail. It seems to have nothing to do with what your party affiliation is, greed is a bi-partisan sickness, look to both sides for corruption and now is the time to clean it up and go forward, I just feel sorry for his family.

December 9, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. Jan Illinois

Very anxious to see just how far and how high up this will go. I believe that he will sing a very interesting tune and very soon. Remember that this is Chicago politics and it's always dirty, every time.

December 9, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. Jackie in Dallas

Ok, a drug dealer who sells a couple of marijuana cigs to an adult would get hit with $25,000 bond, minimum, but a Governor of a state accused of trying to sell the office of Senator walks for $4,500? That is a slap in the face justice! Pitiful, Illinois, pitiful!

December 9, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |