December 9th, 2008

Blagojevich free on $4,500 bail

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich appeared in court Tuesday afternoon to hear corruption charges against him. Bail was set at $4,500, and Blagojevich was then released on his own recognizance.

He also had to forfeit his passport.

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. dan-o

folks, bail is not supposed to be punitive... it is only supposed to insure that one return to court for future hearings etc... it is based on flight risk and, apparently, the judge doesn't deem blagoyaretard to be a flight risk. seriously, where's he gonna go?

December 9, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. jill

$4,500 WHAT A JOKE!!!

December 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. Johanna

It's a shame that the bail was set so low. Remember that a 4,500 bail is really just $450 out of pocket to free his butt. He got release with $450 bucks!!!!

December 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. Willis, TX

Why not Palin?! She extorts money to build her home in exchange for a convention center in her hometown while mayor and we are told "that's Alaska politics"!

December 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. BJ

I wonder if he paid his bail with Obama Presidential Commerative Coins?

December 9, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Mary

How much of my tax dollars went to his bail?

December 9, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Larry Craig

should have been a lot more than $4500.

December 9, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  8. Helen

How disgusting!! The more these people have the more they want. Greed is going to kill them. He should be put in jail and the keys should be thrown away. He should not have been bailed out and for only $4,500.00. How ridiculous.

December 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  9. Cheryll Hettich Illinois

Wow has Illinois had change over the years we've gone from shoeboxes full of money to checks out on the desk....Don't worry this isn't all bad for Blagojevich just think of the movie and book deal he'll get from this..wonder who will get the role? Maybe they will have to pay him for it.

December 9, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. Laura, Boston

$4500? Was the judge part of this corruption scandal. Really if this were a poor kid who got pulled over for an offense, the judge would probably set bail at $25,000.

I hope CNN looks into why the bail was so low!

December 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  11. Can't wait for 2012

An Illinois politician who is dirty, what a shocking surprise!!!!!!!!!!!

December 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  12. Marshall

So the rules are different for the powerful and famous.

December 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  13. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

he didnt pay the bail people he was let out on his own recognizance. FREE

December 9, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  14. Observing

I'm wondering if there are any politicians from Illinois who isn't a thief or liar

December 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  15. Jaye

How about saving the taxpayers money and have his and ex-senator Stevens trial at the same time....

December 9, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  16. David Goldman

HE MIGHT MAKE A RUN FOR IT TO BELGRADE.

December 9, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  17. mary

I never liked Blagojevic but I must come to his defense.
    what happened to innocent till proven guilty. Maybe he was set up.
    Let's let the law take care of this.
    What good would it be for him to get a big fine?
    If he is guilty he will be in jail in due time.

December 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. Ken

What a joke when it comes to the bail amount!

I understand that he was involved with Rezko, just as Obama was. I wonder what kind of relationship he and Obama had?

I think that he should be put behind bars and the key thrown away.

December 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Harder to believe than not.

WOW (what else can you say) WOW

December 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  20. Mikey

Only $4,500? You've got to be kidding!

December 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Jana

What the heck did Palin have to do with this "FreeNLovit"? OMG – How stupid.............

December 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Joe the Troll

Hey Jan- are you sure you're from Illinois? I moved away from there 12 years ago, and as I remember it, the Governor was down in Springfield. I don't remember mostly Democrat Chicago and mostly Republican Springfield being on the same page all that much.

December 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Tracy

$4500 – what a joke. This man is greedy and a disgrace to the state of Illinois and to honest politicans. I say set bail equal to the total amount he collected or tried to collect in his "pay for play" schemes.

December 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Sherrol in Canada

Please realease me, let me go..............comments at 3:35pm

December 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. janet, ohio

I'm confused. I thought Democrats were all pure as the driven snow. I thought these kinds of crimes were only committed by evil, corrupt greedy Republicans. I am so confused....

December 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |