December 9th, 2008

Illinois governor taken into federal custody

Gov. Rod Blagojevich has been taken into custody.
Gov. Rod Blagojevich has been taken into custody.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - FBI agents arrested Democratic Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich Tuesday on federal corruption charges, the U.S. attorney's office said.

The governor's chief of staff, John Harris, was also arrested on corruption charges.

The government says the two were "conspiring to obtain personal financial benefits" for the Illinois governor by leveraging his authority to appoint a U.S. senator. Blagojevich has the sole power to appoint a successor to the senate seat being vacated by President-elect Barack Obama. The U.S. attorney alleges Harris and Blagojevich are "engaging in ongoing criminal activity."

CNN's Short List: Who could replace Obama in the Senate?

Blagojevich and Harris will appear later Tuesday in court, the attorney's office said.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Aaron

Mr Bob From Down Under,

I think you need to think before writing...what you wrote is pure garbage! You need to read and understand the topic of this discussion before posting your crap.

December 9, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. I appreciate Idiots

"It didn't take long for the corruption to surface surrounding Obama and his gang of friends. This is what the Democrats are offering as change? This is change we voted for? Wake up people!! You have been bought, sold and dismissed."

Yay another slipper slope idiot! I love you guys! "Wake up people!!" heheh.... "You have been bought, sold and dismissed". I love it! How much dumber can America get? Who knows? But I can't wait to find out! Critical thinking is for sissies!!!

December 9, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Scott Tucson

Looks like more of the same from the democrats. Can't wait to see what Obama's Pardon List looks like when he leaves office in 4 yrs. Too bad Charlie Rangel wasn't arrested too.

December 9, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  4. Arkansas Undertaker

Terri in lakeland florida:

You got the Dems confused with the rethuglicans. Its just a matter of time before Libby and Gonzales gets their Pardons for GW Bush!

December 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  5. Jeff

Ummmm Jo-Ann.... his "whole" political career? How long is that? 3 years?

BTW... This statement is not a reflection of my opinion of his involvement in this case. I'm not an Obama-bot what-so-ever, but I also do not believe he is involved in this.

December 9, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Jaime Mesa,AZ

seems like a breaking news story! I guess the Gov thought he was an old time Dem Mayor of Chicago! It will be interesting to see how much a Senate seat was being marketed for, who took bait and who turned them in! I wonder if the New York Senate Seat would be valued at. OK Tongue in Cheek as a rabid liberal Democrat; but I have to sayit would be appealing while we are selling key government spots to raise ANY amount of money to be able to buy the Govenorship of Arizona for another fiscally savvy and intelligent and informed and wonderful and responsible person to replace our Govenor Nopalitano. She will be replaced per our Constitution here in Arizona by Secry of State Jan Brewer a very Conservative, Right Republican who sees more eye to eye with our outrageous Wild West Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Ironies of ironies we are going to go backwards here with a Republican Senate,Congress, Govenor and powerful Sheriff of the most populous county (Phoenix proper). Oh well, I will try to find the humor in it all, as long as my Freedom of Speech is still determined by the Federal Constitution. Gov. Napalotano was the voice of reason, and so outstanding a Govenor she still kept her job with high honors even in John McCain's home state.

December 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  7. American Citizen

Let's wait to find more. The people making the accusations are with the Bush administration.

December 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Michael

Pres-Elect Obama isn't even involved with this, if you read the files. I bet if the Governor of Arizona had a scandal, boy we'd point to McCain.

Tons of good people come from really bad roots, does it make them bad?

December 9, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |