December 9th, 2008

Clinton, Rice meet for two hours

Clinton met with Rice Tuesday.
Clinton met with Rice Tuesday.

(CNN) - The State Department is staying mum when it comes to the details of Sen. Hillary Clinton's private dinner with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Monday night.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the two met for two hours at Rice's Watergate apartment in downtown Washington, and discussed a range of issues.

"They talked just very generally about policy – the challenges, the opportunities, talked a little bit about the job of secretary of state; talked about the quote-unquote 'building' here – managing a big operation," McCormack said.

But McCormack declined to get into specifics, saying instead he expects Clinton and Rice to hold several more meetings.

Full story

Filed under: Condoleezza Rice • Hillary Clinton
  1. Godluvr

Super! Sec. Rice can advise her on what not to do, and what doesn't work! I think Rice voted for P-E Obama!

December 9, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. bertha doucet

Rice already stated that hillary clinton would be a terrific seretary of state.I wish the best for hillary clinton in her new job!!!! Houston Tex!!!

December 9, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. lonnette33

I love you Hillary. You don't need advice from Rice. You're going to do just fine. I'm sure you were being polite in accepting her inviation to dinner.

December 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  4. karen-phoenix

Read "Audacity of Hope" and you will realize Hillary will be the best for Obama's vision for America's future!!! REDO our image and the world wants our image redone!!! God Bless the Obama team!!! AND I've been a republican for over 40 years but no more!!!

December 9, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  5. Get over it

Hillary looks troubled in that picture.

I guess that Condoleezza openned her eyes to a few things.

At least the intellegence agencies are in better shape for Hillary than they were for Bush when he took office anfter Bill was through downsizing them.

December 9, 2008 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  6. Sharon Kitchen

to have been a fly on that wall.........................................

December 9, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  7. Ryan

I think Hillary will be an excellent Secretary of State but the fact that Rice thinks so too throws a red flag.

December 9, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. Ernie

I think that Clinton will take a much larger role as SOS than Rice. Clinton will be more aggresive and a "doer".

December 9, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. arc, Lugano CH

As Secretary of State, Senator Clinton will strengthen and renew alliances with our allies. She will rebuild the image of the United States on the world stage.

Reversing the failures of the current WAR CRIMINAL REPUBLICAN Administration will be difficult, but Senator Clinton is up for the job.
    T
    hank God McCain/Palin were defeated. The world rejoiced.

December 9, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  10. Not Amused

Yeah, I'm sure the two of them had a real good _itch to _itch, tete a tete.

December 9, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  11. obama-mama

It's great that they can get together. I know Rice cannot wait to get GW thumb off her head.

December 9, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  12. JIM...TX

Ever notice that in every picture of Hillary since the election she wears a scowl. She appears to be a very unhappy person.

December 9, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Ms. B in California

I bet Hilliary felt sorry for Condoleezza. Working for that idiot and being the only one with a sound mind.

December 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. Richard Neffson

Let's hope that Hillary Clinton can do a better job managing the State Department than she did her presidential campaign. If Barack Obama is smart he will carefully screen who Hillary has working under her since she demonstrated very poor judgment in who she picked to help run her presidential campaign.

December 9, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. Proud to be American

Great Clinton will get first hand what she is getting into ;0)..... knowledge is power

December 9, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Sue in MI

Hillary is going to be great! I just hope the Republicans who are still out there spinning lies (in my local newspaper, for one) will give this administration a chance. Just what are they afraid of? A return to the rule of law? Respect for every citizen? Respect for our enemies? A return to a fair tax system instead of Bush's phony cuts? Jobs? Respectability? Truth?
    So far, I see noting wrong with any of that!!!

December 9, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. rachel

I knew it clinton bashers 54321

December 9, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  18. GOPS lost, get it!

HRC will be much better than Condi!

December 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. Proud American in a Big City

Condi lives in Watergate... The irony just bowls me over.

December 9, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  20. Myrna Ulrich

God Help This Country with this Old Has been as Secretary of State, She is a Mean Vindictive, Negative Person with the Personality of a Dead Fish.. I Hope and Prays she screws up Royally, and we get a New Secretary of State... She is MORE of the Same... Bad News for this Country as far as foreign Policy goes... Granforchange in Wisconsin

December 9, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  21. kim

Two great women. Thank you Condi for being such a graceful lady, you can always tell a strong woman, when she is not in any way intimidated by another strong woman. These two women gives me hope for the future of my daughters, not your regular low self-esteem female bashers.

December 9, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |