December 9th, 2008

Joel Osteen weighs in on Obama

Osteen says he thinks Obama is 'great.'
Osteen says he thinks Obama is 'great.'

(CNN) - Mega-preacher and best-selling author Joel Osteen is putting his faith in Barack Obama.

Asked his thoughts on the president-elect, Osteen said, “I think he’s great.”

“I think he's going to be a great president. He seems brilliant to me and just, I believe God puts the right people in office, so we're praying for him and just believing that God will give him wisdom and strength,” Osteen said on CNN’s “Larry King Live.”

Osteen is the senior pastor for Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. The church is one of the largest and fastest growing in the United States.

Shortly before the presidential election, Osteen told CNN he doesn’t think it is right to preach politics from the pulpit.

“You know, people have different views, and they're just as passionate. They love God just as much. And so, I would just encourage … just get out there and vote. But we don't feel like it's our place to tell people how to vote. Just search their own heart,” he said.

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Denver Dem

Hold on one second, a religous preacher that is not a democrat basher? Be still my heart. Makes me have faith that the religous nuts are starting to see the light

December 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. aware

Joel Osteen of the mega, secular, money rich, be happy, pseudo church has no idea what the results of an Obama presidency will be but we all need to pray according to 2 Chronicles 7:14.

"If my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." :)

December 9, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. rd

God doesn't make people do anything. People make their own choices to do wrong things. God may lead people to do certain things, like run for a certain office. But I agree with JS that Obama does not follow Biblical principles, like do not murder. If he makes abortions easier to get and takes no stand against abortion, Obama cannot be considered a great president. We do need to pray for him though.

December 9, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. aerovick

I think what Osteen meant was that – things happen because God permits them (Lam 3:37 and Ps 33:9). It does not mean that God supports them. God allows us to use the power of our free will. It is up to us to make the choice whether we will do it God's way or not. Whatever our choices are, we will face the consequences. God is still and is always Omnipotent. That Obama is President does not mean God is in support or against but God definitely permits it to happen. At the end of all things, God's plans will still stand and Satan will be put to shame!!!

December 9, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. Lori In DFW, Texas

I love Joel Osteen and his message. I don't give a rat's behind what his political views are. I think he is smart to avoid taking a firm political stance. I don't want my religion and politics mixed, thank you. The minute he gets into politics is the day I tune out permanently. The preachers who get into politics are the ones who preach hatred, divisiveness and fear. NO THANKS.

December 9, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  6. Brad Burklow, Harrisburg, IL

JS, Osteen did not say God would stand for some of Obama's positions. I think he was hinting though that the hard right has tended to be very selective about which biblical to promote, and that they have no corner on morality. He is simply saying Obama has great potential as a leader (duh) and encouraging his congregation and followers to pray for him and support him instead of instinctively rejecting a Democrat.

December 9, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  7. Brent A. Pope

A Texas (clergy) Man, backing a minority President. If that isn't change, than what is? You go Joel. By the way I bought your Recent #1 best seller and gave it to my Fieance and soon wife to be. She was struggling with life issues. She now has a new found clearity in her purpose on this Earth. A reality check in reality. Joel is a proud Christian with strong values, a man of men, we all could learn from his awsome words. You just have to take the time to listen and absorb.The Bible is also a #1 best seller of all time. A publication you can wrap your head around, with purpose and no fluff. As far as soon to be President Obama, the best of luck and God speed my friend.

December 9, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  8. peggy rozier

It's hard to believe that Joel Osteen would support someone with so many ties to those who are openly involved in shady dealings. I wonder, after four years, if he still feels the same.

October 22, 2012 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |