December 10th, 2008

Jindal says not interested in being president

Jindal says he's not interested in running for president .
Jindal says he's not interested in running for president .

(CNN) – Bobby Jindal - the Indian-American Louisiana governor who is widely viewed as one of the frontrunners for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination - flatly said Tuesday he's not interested in seeking the White House.

"No," Jindal said definitively when asked if he was interested in being president, according to The Associated Press.

Jindall made the comments at a Richmond, Virginia, news conference, during which he endorsed Bob McDonnell – a Republican running for governor of Virginia.

Jindal said instead he has his sights set on seeking reelection to his current office in 2011.

But AP reports Jindal, whom many Republicans view as best positioned to transform the party's image, did not rule out the possibility he may change his mind about a White House run.

Jindal ventured to Iowa last month for a set of appearances and fundraisers - a move that fueled speculation he was begining to lay groundwork in the crucial early presidential voting state.

Filed under: Bobby Jindal
  1. angel

that's what Barack said and look where he is.....it is still early. I am sure he is going to run

December 10, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  2. nicole

After seeing how Jindal transformed Loussiana's corrupt government I am confident that he is the reformer America needs!!! I truly hope he runs and as a indian american I am very proud to have an indian american considered for president. I am also a giant fan of michael steele but i dont really care for palin!

December 10, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  3. lenny

This man is a Jesus FREAK!

December 10, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  4. Craig

Who the heck cares. We are not that addicted to the media that we have to know what may be going on 4 years down the road. Our new President isn't even in office yet! I have to give you credit though, at least I haven't seen a story on that ridiculous Palin today.

December 10, 2008 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  5. Barry

That's too bad – he's a really smart guy with a youthful personality. Perhaps he would change his mind down the road.

December 10, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  6. Erick in al

Cynthia, no offense, but I think you're wrong about Palin.Jindahl can actually speak correctly and make sense and it'd take Palin at least 4 years to learn.She's not what the GOP need. The GOP is too old and focused on older white people, and they'll never get anywhere with that mentality.

December 10, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  7. Lolita

I PRAY THAT AMERICA WILL NOT BE AS SILLY AS THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE PAST TO EVEN PUT A REP. IN THE SEAT AGAIN LET ALONE SARAH P. OR JINDALL. I ALSO THINK ITS BEST HE DOESNT WANT TO RUN SEEING THAT I DONT THINK HE WOULD WIN ANYWAY.

December 10, 2008 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  8. joey from sd

republicans pander so hard!! The only reason they care about this guy is because he is indian.

December 10, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  9. Right Trash

Good! One less creationist freak that we have to deal with on a national level.

December 10, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  10. mark

all the repubs keep saying that Mr Obama shouldn't be the prez because is father is from kenya. but jindals parents are both from india. they wasn't even U.S citizens when he was born! Maybe thats why he doesn't want to run for president

December 10, 2008 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  11. Todd (not the Alaska Separatist)

Yeah right, like all the racists in the Repug base would really get behind him.

December 10, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  12. gary

well, I think he foresees a strong Obama opponent in 2012 and does not want to burn his only shot going against Obama.

December 10, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  13. Stu-Florida

Anything... I mean anything, is better than Palin.

December 10, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  14. mark in az

That's good. I'm not interested in having him be POTUS.

December 10, 2008 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  15. ED FROM WISCONSIN

Governor Jindal seems to be a man of honor who carries himself with respect, and he seems to know about the issues at home in the U.S and abroad. However there is one problem, Jindal belongs to the GOP party and there is no way a party that has no diversity, will every get behind Jindal especially the hardcore base republicans. I have only one question for the GOP, you are the party that was started by Abraham Lincoln but you only reach out to rural, rich or evangelical white Americans, why is there no advocacy in the party to be multicultural??

December 10, 2008 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. nate

Do you know what you want to do 3/4 years from now?

December 10, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  17. Susan

Honest question - aren't Jindal's views on social issues mega, mega conservative?

December 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  18. Only "1"

Funny how Repubs and the Media are searching for the next . Too bad there is only 1 Michael Jordan of Politics.

December 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. CTSadler

I hope to god Palin gets the nod in 2012... This country needs to have a first reta... Oh, wait. Got one of those now.

December 10, 2008 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. fred

Jindal is a good guy who focuses on his current work. He's a good governor.

December 10, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. Surafel Melaku

What's every politician say at first!

December 10, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Mike

He knows that Obama the Commander in fundraiser will stream roll him and any other repub in 2012. He'd rather wait til 2016 and try.

Obama 2012

December 10, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  23. Lisa Vilen

This is how The Base accepted Obama: A vendor at a conservative political forum was selling boxes of waffle mix depicting Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama as a racial stereotype on its front and wearing Arab like headdress on its top flap. There were parts of the box that took jabs at Michelle Obama, in addition to other Democrats. Yes, the Obama Waffle box. I wonder how The Base will accept Jindal?

December 10, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. YesMan

I am. I belong to no party. You can trust me.

December 10, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |