December 10th, 2008

Lawmakers moving to strip Blagojevich of Senate choice

Illinois lawmakers are set to convene over stripping Blagojevich the privilege of appointing the next senator .

(CNN) - Illinois lawmakers were quickly moving to take the decision of who will replace President-elect Barack Obama in the Senate out of the hands of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

The 17th Amendment to the Constitution allows governors to fill vacant Senate seats, but politicians from both sides of the aisle have said it would be unacceptable for Blagojevich to choose Obama's successor.

"No appointment by this governor under these circumstances could produce a credible replacement," said Sen. Dick Durbin, Illinois' sole senator at the moment. Blagojevich was arrested Tuesday on federal conspiracy charges.

Full story

Filed under: Rod Blagojevich
  1. Mayor Quimby

Every day this guy remains in office needs to be meet with a groundswell of public protest by the people of Illinois. If they are concerned with how this continuous corruption reflects on their state then they need to get out in the streets and do something about it.

December 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. R.Huemoeller

He should be removed from office and the Lt. Governor should take over. I am sure there are provisions for situations like this (official removed from office) already. No need to hold special election. This is the same as when a President is impeached and removed from office. The V.P. takes over until the next election.

He clearly should hold no authority in the interim and therefore be dis-allowed from appointing any legislative position. The Lt. Governor should take that responsibility once affirmed as acting Governor.

December 10, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  3. Mayor Quimby

"That way Illinois can have a special election and maybe elect a republican….how convenient….hmmmm"

I highly doubt that IL will elect a Republican.

December 10, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. The Big House Is Waiting For The Governor

Good, throw the bum out. I'm still riding on the wave of November 4th and he's giving me the blues.

The Blagojevich Butcher of Politics should go–definitely should go, NOW.

December 10, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  5. Rockford

I say innocent until proven guilty...
    He should also be alowed to cut a big fat deal for giving up what he knows about all involved in the Chicago Machine...

Once he gets his sentence he will sing... and I'm betting it's gonna be real interesting...

Blago, Rezko, ???, ???, ???

this is just the start... oh... I'm loving it

December 10, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Tate at 1:36,
    McCain is the most recent candidate who was proven unworthy of trust by being unfaithful to his wife. Obama has nothing in his background to suggest he's looking to do anything crooked. Sorry, that dog just doesn't hunt.

The lawmakers should move on this and affirm that he is not allowed to make any further appointments, whether the open Senate seat or anything else.
    Then, we have to wait for the evidence. What we know right now looks very bad, and I agree with those who call for him to resign. But, he does have the right to prove his case so I don't know that Illinoisans can take away all of his rights as the duly elected Gov.

December 10, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  7. billy-bayou

Why am I not amazed that there are people out there, including but not limited to elected officials that are scheaming to circumvent the Governors Constitutional authority. It is the agenda of the incoming administration to attempt to render the constitution out-dated and unnecessary. You are in danger of falling under the control of third world type rules and Ruler.

December 10, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  8. Mark

CNN....how come you are still censoring any posts that are at all critical of Obama?

He won....mission accomplished....you can let real Americans speak now CNN!

December 10, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. earle, woodstock,vt

What? Do all these politicians walk around with ,"Blinders On"in this state. Something really stinks in Denmark ,(Chicago) and it ain't Linberger Cheese. I've never seen such blatant disregard for the law,and it pines me that every one is somehow tainted? P.S. It's reminisced of "Roman History", when every-one in the Roman ( Illinois) Senate was responsible for (Mr. Blagojevich) Ceasar's death( Back Stabbing)!

December 10, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Helen McElroy

What I am wondering about is the Bank of America angle. On Monday the governor declared that all Illinois government agencies suspend business with Bank of America. Bank of America met with the union leaders on Tues. He was thrown in jail on Tues after three long years of federal investigation. The governor is definitely off balance and needs to be on medication. Personally I do not think this is a black and white situation. As one reader commented Obama and every other politician in Illinois knew this man and his personality. There are a lot of shades of gray in this scandal as there are in most. Most of the time we never hear the TRUTH. I have not heard ANYTHING about the B of A angle since Monday.

December 10, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  11. Godluvr

Why can't they just kick him out; strip him of his authority; give the Lt. Gov. the immediate authority to make a decision? My eyeballs were raised when the Gov. mentioned that naming a replacement wasn't going to be done right away. I thought: "Oh really?" Now I understand. He had numerous calls to make! "Be sure your sins will find you out." What's done in the dark, God will bring to the light. Sow to the wind and reap the whirlwind. God will forgive, it's man who can't.

December 10, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  12. Ken

I think that it is time to truly start to clean-up all of the corruption that is going on. I am sure that the Governor is only a small part of the dirty politicians in Illinois.

Doesn't anyone now days tell the truth and do a honest days work? It seems that the politicians are only interested in doing what is in their own best interest.

They all need to be put behind bars for LIFE, and no chance for parole!

December 10, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  13. Sherrol in Canada

Could Jesse Jackson Jr be mixed up in this? He just hired a public relations firm.

I did think the lad was a bit ambitious!!

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  14. 801BMF

Jesse Jackson Jr for Senate

December 10, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  15. Martin

ONCE SOMEONE GETS INDICTED, THEY SHOULD HAVE FIRED HIM FROM THAT MINUTE ON. HAD IT BEEN A BLACK MAN, THEY'D WANT TO CRUCIFY HIM!!!! MAKE BLAG PAY AND PAY NOW!!!!

December 10, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  16. How is that democracy? Hold a special election!

Let the people of Illinois decide who will govern their state.

December 10, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Politics

It is only the beginning... Bush has the last laugh.

December 10, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  18. California Gold

Maybe this should be a global change. Take the decision to the voters.

December 10, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  19. KM

This guy should get life in prison with his American citizenship taking away.

Or the death sentence.

Whichever is cheaper for taxpayers.

December 10, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. TexasAnnie *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Personally I think Blagojevich should resign based on what I read in the indictment papers– and yes, I read all 79 pages.

Under the circumstances, he definitely should not be allowed to apoint an interim Senator for Obama's vacant seat. Maybe let the Lt. Gov. step in and make an appointment?? (I would support a special election but considering the economy right now, does Illinois have available the millions of dollars it takes to conduct a special election. They sure didn't budget for it, so where are they going to find the funds?)

BUT, I find it interesting that everybody said let Senators Ted Stevens & Larry Craig go thru the judicial process before declaring them guilty. (Shoot, Craig even served out his term after pleading guilty– he's still in office until next month for that matter.) And there have been other instances where the public has said "innocent until proven guilty" when dealing with other political mis-steps…. but for some reason we all seem to want Blagojevich's head right here & now. What is different here???

December 10, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. ques

Vic,

FYI, Jesse Jackson Jr. will ID'd as one who was willing to pay to play........ we from IL know how Chicago politics works, and don't want any of them in office!

December 10, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  22. Janel, St. Paul, MN

I agree that the governor should be removed from office. . .pronto!

As I watched the news unfold over the past couple of days, I have been repulsed by the "gotcha" and "gleeful" comments by several political pundits.

I can appreciate their feeling grateful to have something to report on other than the usual, but I was taken aback by their unprofessional attitude in doing so. It makes me yearn for the days of Walter Cronkite and Eric Severaid who took their jobs seriously.

Suppose this won't be posted. . .but if it is, does anyone agree with me?

December 10, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Who in their right mind would want to be appointed by this scumbag.

December 10, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. Richard3565

The Illinois Governor is a disgrace to the people of Illinois.He should be impeached. Let the Lt. Governor make the decision of who will replace Barack Obama.

December 10, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Matt from ILL

HEY VIC,

Jesse Jackson, Jr. is reportedly "Candidate #5" in the complaint.... yep sure would be good!

December 10, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |